8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Walt Disney Home Movies Demo Reel

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Walt Disney Home Movies Demo Reel
Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2012 05:07 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a new film today to add to the Disney S8 collection.

It is a Walt Disney Super 8 Home Movies Demonstration Film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVc_sb2gILE&feature=youtu.be

I think Doug said he had this or something like it.

Does anyone else have this? I think it's pretty cool.

Enjoy!

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

|  IP: Logged

Carter Bradley
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2012 05:40 PM      Profile for Carter Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing! I purchased mine directly from Disney Super 8 by pretending to be a photo shop! (I think it was $9.95 because it is color/sound). I had this 50' reel some time ago, spliced it onto my combined "Snow White" 200's and then gave it to a friend who loves Dopey. Then the unthinkable...she lost it! It is a fun demo film. I loved seeing those films packaged in plastic and cardboard at my local K-Mart back in the 70's. I remember "Mary Poppins" as the only sound film on the Disney display rack. I figured with a pricetag of $24.88 that must be an important film!

Brian K Gibson
Junior

- posted January 23, 2012 05:54 PM      Profile for Brian K Gibson   Email Brian K Gibson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is too too cool!! What a great piece of Disney Super8 history. Congrats to you for finding such an awesome piece. And thanks for posting that on YouTube for everyone to enjoy.

You may want to check YouTube. Already you've got mycoolhomevideos asking where you got it. [Smile] I'm sure you'll be the envy of a lot of collectors.

Thanks again!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 23, 2012 06:11 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a find [Cool] I have collected Disney Super8 films since the 70s and never come across that one....its a little gem [Smile] well done.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2012 06:23 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool film! I had a chance to see this last fall at one of Steve Osborne's film shows...he has this in his collection.

I would like to find a copy myself.

Bill [Smile]

Brian K Gibson
Junior

- posted January 23, 2012 09:51 PM      Profile for Brian K Gibson   Email Brian K Gibson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder where this would've gotten shown back in the 70s. It's obviously longer than a normal TV commercial.

Anyone have ideas?

Carter Bradley
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2012 02:53 AM      Profile for Carter Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since it was available through Walt Disney Super 8 home movies, I believe it was a demo prepared for camera stores to use in their in house advertising.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 24, 2012 03:01 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice that Chris and they used a Eumig as well! [Cool]

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2012 02:12 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A piece of news also for me! Many compliments!

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2012 11:21 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any idea which cartoon is excerpted at the beginning where Donald is wrecking a film in front of his nephews?

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2012 09:59 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is from a "Disneyland" episode called At Home with Donald Duck .

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 29, 2012 12:15 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At one UK convention in the 1990s, someone who previously had a link to Disney had a stall with several new copies of this on sale for around £10. I'm still kicking myself that I somehow failed to snap one up!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 29, 2012 02:41 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Totally awesome (as well as making my friend Gian envious! haha!).

I haven't watched your link yet, but please note that there were other 50ft demo reels. There was a Peter Pan one which came with some models of super 8 sound projectors. It was the full song and short sequence of "You Can Fly". It was actually a little shorter than 50ft.

We have talked about these demo reels before on here, (could somebody make a link to that topic?) I believe that there were a few 50ft sound/color Tom and Jerry's. The 200ft STAR WARS color sound extract was also a demo reel that came with super 8 sound projectors for awhile.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Brian K Gibson
Junior

- posted August 24, 2012 09:29 PM      Profile for Brian K Gibson   Email Brian K Gibson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some people might hate me for this. But I was searching ebay this morning and someone listed this film with a Buy it Now. I couldn't pass it up. I remembered this topic from back in January. And I've gone to youtube to watch this film a few times since January.

So I'm really thrilled to have been able to pick this up. It'll be a nice addition to my collection. Can't wait to receive it.

Just had to share my good fortune with those who understand. To those searching for it, stay vigilant. It'll come.

Phil Slater
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2012 01:39 AM      Profile for Phil Slater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also have a copy of this film.

I remember Derek Simmonds of Derann showing it at one of the collectors conventions about 15 years ago, and at the end saying that it wasn't for sale as they only had the one print. It was only sent to distributors of Disney films. Then about 10 years ago I saw it in Derann`s second hand list so I snapped it up. I don't know whether I got Derann's copy or someone elses, but it's one of the jewels in my collection.

Phil Slater
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2012 01:41 AM      Profile for Phil Slater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also have a copy of this film.

I remember Derek Simmonds of Derann showing it at one of the collectors conventions about 15 years ago, and at the end saying that it wasn't for sale as they only had the one print. It was only sent to distributors of Disney films. Then about 10 years ago I saw it in Derann`s second hand list so I snapped it up. I don't know whether I got Derann's copy or someone elses, but it's one of the jewels in my collection.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted August 25, 2012 03:52 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris. Nice to see that again after so many years. My what was then local cine dealer in the 70's used to show me that film when I was a lad. Note the Eumig in it as well. YAY!

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2012 12:36 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that segment with Donald threading up the projector available on film in something else, or is this the only one?

Brian K Gibson
Junior

- posted August 25, 2012 05:52 PM      Profile for Brian K Gibson   Email Brian K Gibson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone on the youtube comments said this...

It's called "At Home With Donald Duck", and it was released in 1956 as part of the "Disneyland" TV show.

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2012 05:41 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is so excellent Brian!

And for a really great price! I see it was listed under "other formats" but not "film". I found my copy listed under "Photography > Vintage Film".

When you do get it, please let us know how it looks. I hope your copy has good color. As you've seen in the video, my film is pretty faded.

--------------------

Brian K Gibson
Junior

- posted August 29, 2012 06:18 PM      Profile for Brian K Gibson   Email Brian K Gibson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris...PM sent.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC