8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » My unusual cartoons on super 8mm... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: My unusual cartoons on super 8mm...
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 31, 2012 08:13 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks James for the ratings. It helps me in mapping out the whole 8mm scene era pre my involvement like today. Here is ( or might be) another rare stuff.

The following title is not a drawing animation but puppet annimation (or then called Puppetoon). It is one of George Pal films titles "John Henry and Inky-Poo".

Summary from IMDB says:

quote:
In this George Pal Puppetoon, John Henry a legendary figure of American folklore, goes to work for the C.& O. Railroad, which, shortly thereafter, buys an automatic steel-driving engine, called the Inky-Poo. John Henry matches his strength against the Inky-Poo, saying that any man can beat a machine because a man has a mind. John Henry wins, but drops at the finish, never to rise again. The choral music background is by the Luvenia Nash Singers

From different source: http://www.awn.com/heaven_and_hell/PAL/GP4.htm

tells that "John Henry and the Inky-Poo, the second-to last Puppetoon ever made, is rumored to be a sort of good-willed attempt to make up for the racist stereotypes displayed in the the Jasper series. "

(ps: in my lot Jasper is also one of them)

John Henry and Inky-Poo (1946)

-

Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEQGIL9dsns&feature=related 

(start at 0:30)

While print is sharp but the color is not too colorful. I beleive this relied on the negative, while the youtube link above is more bluish tone.

I don't know who released this and would appreciate if members here can give a light.

thanks

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2012 08:59 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert-

On a scale of 1 to 5, this is a 10!

But seriously, I think this one is VERY rare, and a good find. I have never seen it on ANY list, new or used, in my 30-plus years in super 8.

Congradulations on this one!

John Henry and the Inky-Poo----- 5

James.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 31, 2012 12:27 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James thanks. I will try to post something more tomorrow. However I don't know if I can provide with screen shots for the rest, since they are too many. I will try my best.

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 31, 2012 01:40 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see too many of those Puppetoons around. Good to see that one!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2012 04:00 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good job on these Winbert!

If I can get my filmshow off the ground this summer you'll have to make it this year - and bring some of those films.

It was good to finally meet you too!

Cheers
Terry

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 06, 2012 09:54 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Terry,

It was nice to meet you in person too. After 9 years joining this forum, you are the first collector I meet off line [Big Grin]

quote:
I don't see too many of those Puppetoons around

Me too Osi.

However in this lot, beside the above John Henry, there are another 3 reels of George Pal's puppeton, i.e:

Jasper and the Haunted House (1942)

-

Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODkKYYZi4p4

Jasper and the Haunted House is another George Pal Puppetoon about a black boy and his troubles. This time, the scarecrow switches a sign that leads Jasper to a haunted house instead of a deacon's place where he brings a pie. There's an entertaining swing number with the house's piano, and books on a shelf moving to the music.

Philips Broadcast (1938) aka La Grande Revue Philips 

-

Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTU3j_cknOM

This astonishing advertisement film made in 1938 for Philips radios, is the work of a brilliant forerunner of animation: George Pal. It uses the puppets from his invention called "Puppetoons", composed of numerous interchangeable wooden parts and filmed image by image. Months of work for a 5-minute dream in Technicolor!

Ship of the Ether (1934)

-

No info about this film on the net, and no youtube link either

As we can see that the last two films suffer fade very badly. But I suspect this came from bad negatives used.

Anyway, if you want to rate how rate these three titles, I appriciate that very much.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 06, 2012 12:56 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those Puppetoons are hard to find with any good color, so that "Jasper and the Haunted House" is a good find. I was never much into the Puppetoons, but I'm thankful that they were made ...

Because they led to the classic Science Fiction film, "War of the Worlds". It's hard to imagine that the same person responsible for "Jasper" and the Puppetoons, would then just a few years later make one of the greatest Science Fiction films of all time!

Keep up the fun, my friend!

--------------------

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2012 03:01 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have about ten Puppetoons in total. Most were issued by Glenn Photo and have gone reddish by now,like your SHIP OF ETHER,(Which was originally filmed in Gasparcolor,but you won't see any difference from your print,or mine!).The non-Glenns have retained them. I am surprised however by how much better your prints are,colorwise. All so far are rather rare, so, hold on to them!

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2012 04:10 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny that most of what is here was offered by Steve Vilarino. I know for sure he had Willie before Derann.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 06, 2012 04:56 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry,

Thanks for the additional info. I think you have solved the mystery of all these films.

After you mention "Steve Vilarino", I then searched in this forum and find 3 posts mentioning his name:

Anyone deal with Steve Vilarino Films?

Read a post made by D'Arcy More:

quote:
Ahhhhh yes.......Steve Vilarino......I still have one of his old lists on file. Steve was known for having the rare stuff that's for sure. I purchased from him in the mid to late 80's full length super 8 sound prints of Bride of Frankenstein, The Wolfman and Freaks. Got a nifty little print of a Vinnie Price University film short called Anabel Lee (Poe Poem). My last purchase with him was about 6 years ago when I heard he had a mint full length Super 8 sound print of The Old Dark House with Karloff. Scooped that up right away and it is one of the gems in my collection. Steve moved from Redondo Beach to L.A. but I have completely lost track of him now.

SUNSHINE MAKERS!! (Van Buren) Super 8 C/S

Read a post made by James:

quote:
There were a couple of companies in the U.S. that released obscure cartoons like this one. One was FEF films, the other one was STEVE VILARINO FILMS. I'm thinking it may have been the later, since SVF never marked the leader on their films.
and the last post made by Panayotis:

quote:
Steve Villarino was OK with me.While he sold legitimate films from Morcraft (Thunderbird),Perry's,Steel Valley and others ,he was basically a pirate.I bought too many cartoons from him ,years before Derann issued many of them officially, and several features,very few of which I have seen in second hand lists ever since.He was reliable in his dealings,waiting patiently my paying in installments,and taking back faulty prints.I dealt with him from about 1980 to 1986 when a severe economic slump forced me to stop buying for a time and told him to stop sending me his lists.I have kept most of them (hand written in the beginning,then ,typewritten).
MGM CARTOONS

ps: again read the post made by Panayotis.

quote:
Five Boscos were issued by Steve Vilarino; HEY,HEY FEVER;BOSCO AND THE CANNIBALS;BOSCO AND THE PIRATES;THE OLD HOUSE;BOSCO'S EASTER EGGS; also ,SWING WEDDING.Red Fox issued PEACE ON EARTH, and I'm sure I am missing a few! "Recent" releases include TO SPRING ,ROOKIE BEAR and A RAINY DAY.
Then we have about 60 (yes, sixty!) Tom and Jerrys,including only one or two from the Chuck Jones period.
Doug pretty much covered the Avery titles to which I may add JERKY TURKEY and SENOR DROOPY (directed by Dick Lundy) and Derann did release flat versions of originally scope cartoons. Tex Avery did share the direction of his later cartoons with Michael Lah,and after he left,Lah continued the Droopy series alone.Droopy's design did become simplified (and unappealing) by the mid fifties,until he became an UPA clone.

This is inline with other films I have in this lot are Tex Avery and Warner Bros. Some with Red Fox box, but some are just in plain boxes.

I am wondering where those all negatives are now?

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 24, 2012 06:04 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I resurrect my old thread because I remember have not finished the list of my unusual titles. I initially wanted to provide screen shots for each title because I had shot them. But my wife accidentally deleted all files and I did not want to snap the screen shot anymore due to time consuming.

Anyway, I just provide the list what I received from the large batch I bought in the beginning of this year. Not all titles below are unusual, some are just the usual cartoon of course.

1. Baseball Bugs ---> Bugs Bunny (1945) rate 7/8
2. Day At The Zoo ---> Tex Avery (1839) rate 10
3. Inky & The Myna Bird ----> Chuck Jones (1940) rate 10
4. Isle Of Pingo Pongo ----> Tex Avery (1938) rate 10
5. Lonesome Lenny ----> Tex Avery (1946) rate 10
6. Rhapsody In Rivets ---> rate 10
7. Bad Luck Blackie -----> Tex Avery (1949) rate 9
8. Magical Maestro ----> Tex Avery rate 10
9. Red Hot Riding Hood ----> Tex Avery (1943) rate 10
10. Bashful Buzzard ----> Warner Bros |(1945) rate 10
11. Have You Got Any Castles? ----> W|arner Bros (1938) rate 10
12. Rabbit Seasonin ----> Warner Bros rate 10
13. What's Opera Doc? ----> Warner Bros rate 10
14. Ballot Box Bunny ----> Warner Bros (1951) rate 7
15. Baby Bottlenecks ----> Warner Bros (1946) rate 6
16. Boulder Wham .....> Warner Bros rate 9
17. Zoom & Bored ----> Waner Bros (1957) rate 8
18. Clair de Lune ---> Disney (1966) rate 10
19. Der Fuehrer's Face ----> Disney (1943) rate 10
20. Lonesome Ghosts ----> Disney (1937) rate 5
21. The Sorcerer's Apprentice from Fantasia ----> Disney (1940) rate 7
22. Jasper In The Haunted House ---> George Pal (1942) rate 10
23. John Henry and the Inky Poo ---> George Pal (1942) rate 10
24. Spirit of '43—Faded
25. Jerky Turkey (reddish)
26. Corny Concerto (1943)
27. Philips Broadcast
28. Ship of the Ether
29. Woody Woodpecker-The Bird Who Came To Dinner
30. Woody Woodpecker-Witch Crafty
31. Willie The Operatic Whale
32. Sons of the Desert 1200'
33. Flying Deuces 4-400' Reels
34. Pardon Us 3-400' Reels
35. King Kong Full Feature
36. Star Wars Full Feature

ps: "rate" mentioned above is the seller's appraisal against the color condition being 10 is perfect. This is nothing to do with any other film rating.

If I have got any chance to snap some screen shot, I will complete my list here.
cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 24, 2012 06:55 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to remember and I might still have an old list from Derann
that listed some of these titles.Well done Winbert on these
additions to your collection and your very nice screen shots.I wish
I could do those.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 26, 2012 12:23 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's good to have a copy of "What's Opera Doc", (I have one as well) as this is certainly a rare late 50's Warners cartoon on super 8!

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC