8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » A "Popeye" Curiosity ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A "Popeye" Curiosity ...
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 28, 2012 08:49 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have finally secured, after long search a prisitine copy of "Popeye Meets Ali Baba & His 40 Thieves", and it is a print of interest.

First, thankfully, it is an LPP film print. I was sruck by how much better the color is on this print. Of course, Niles prints are all eastman pinky. Many MANY years ago, I saw an AGFA print of this title, (when I used to collect back in the late 80's), and while it was on low fade agfa, the source material was somewhat dupey.

This print, while it is a little dupy looking, has much better color. The skies, instead of largely being overly white/blue, on this print, have instead, rich blues. One of the most striking things is that one of the last shots, the thieves pulling the treasure cart, in the restored versions, you can clearly see rich oranges and a sunset, which is all but missing in most prints of this. This print I have just secured, you do have a decent sunset and at least some colors instead of being washed out; more evidence of a source a little less distance from the original film.

I was told that is is a Red Fox print, but I noted immediately that the leader says, of all things "Thunderbird Films" ...

Therefore, I have a question, does anyone know when Thunderbird Films went under? I thought that Thunderbird went under before the advent of LPP.

My theory is that, as many surviving super companies would do, they may have bought the Thunderbird negatives and re-released they're titles. Is this the case?

[ January 29, 2012, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: Osi Osgood ]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2012 07:37 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could be a dupe of a Thunderbird Films print that has been colour corrected in the optical printer and then re released on LPP stock.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 29, 2012 06:33 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that this could well be the case. By the way, I corrected my first post on this, sorry about all the mistakes folks!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC