8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo ST-800 Rewind Problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo ST-800 Rewind Problem
Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2012 12:27 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
I'm having a rewind problem with my Elmo ST-800 projector. When I rewind a film now and it get's down to the very end right before the leader it completely stops, and I have to rewind the last bit of film by hand by turning the reel? I had replaced both belts a month ago and it was rewinding fine and it has never done this before until now?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Roger

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 01, 2012 12:43 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had this exact problem. This will sound strange, but it may be the takeup reel you are using.

The ST-800 was designed to use the Elmo 800 foot reel for takeup. It has a large center hub (4 inches in diameter, maybe?)

When other smaller-hubbed reels are used, during rewind that rear spindle is forced to spin faster and the torque required on the front spindle is higher. As the rewound film piles up that required torque multiplies until the front spindle's clutch slips and it grinds to a halt.

I figured this out by accident, only after I bought a film longer than 400 feet and had to fork it over for the larger takeup reel! All of a sudden rewind worked perfectly and it made sense!

Gepe still makes almost an exact copy of this reel:

Momentcatcher has two left in stock. Look for "GEPE 800 ft. Super 8 Reel & Vented Chest Archival Set":

Momentcatcher

B&H also sells them, in multiples of TEN!

Anybody else sell Gepes in the US of A?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2012 01:04 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Steve it does sound strange but you are absolutely right!
I have the 800FT Elmo Reel and I just ran a film with it and it rewound just fine. I had used a 400FT reel for a 400 FT film and that was the problem like you said! From now on I will always use the Elmo 800 FT Reel.

Thanks for your help your the best! [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 01, 2012 01:16 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Precision engineered machines usually malfunction in the exact same way!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2012 01:56 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve and Roger,

Thats a good tip Steve but if you don't wan't to use an 800ft reel with a large hub for taking up film, you can try increasing the spring pressure to the rewind clutch. You need a tiny allen key to loosen the clutch spring collar then retighten it after moving the collar inwards. In theory, it should then be able rewind 400' or 600' reels without stopping near the end. Its worth a try.

dogtor frankarnstein
[Wink]

[ February 04, 2012, 06:16 AM: Message edited by: frank arnstein ]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2012 10:04 AM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Frank,
Thanks for the tip buddy!
Regards,
Roger [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC