8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 16mm reel conversion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 16mm reel conversion
Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 01, 2012 05:44 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm begining to think that I have too much idle time. [Wink]

Has anybody ever tried to dis-assemble a 16mm 800' reel and make it a super 8mm 1200' reel? It seams that it wouldn't be too difficult to do. Just drill out the rivets, replace the center with a thinner 3/8 hub and WALLA! [Confused]

PatD

[ February 02, 2012, 06:32 AM: Message edited by: Pasquale DAlessio ]

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 01, 2012 05:50 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pat, why don't you tinkering with reel to reel. It is already 8mm width, only you need to convert the holes.

I have seen a reel like this where it is simply put the 50' reel in the middle. Remember you can get 50' reels very easy. I have plenty of them ex my home-movies.

While 12 inch plastic reels ex reel to reel tape are also cheap and abundance.

--------------------
Winbert

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2012 05:52 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would it be easier to do it with a 16mm split reel by trimming the hub down?

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 02, 2012 06:30 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A 16mm split reel is very expensive. Recording tape reels are 1/4" which is not 8mm but 6.35mm which may be too tight. I found these reels and am wondering if there is a way to "spread" the reel at the center to get the extra 1.65mm or so. These reels are plastic and have the small hub in the middle. Plus they are cheap 55.00 for 10. Any ideas? [Confused]

-

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 02, 2012 10:17 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pat, according to our friends in UK (mentioned in the other thread) their reel to reel is 8mm wide so fit good for our films.

May be different brand has different width?

--------------------
Winbert

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2012 11:59 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pat,

I recently got the 3x400 of "Westworld". It is mounted on a 16mm Cecolite 1200 reel. The previous owner had melted the center and then placed a super 8 adapter in the cooling plastic. It is not set perfectly in the middle so there is a bit of wobble but it works.

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 02, 2012 01:49 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've turned a pair of 2200ft 16mm reels into 2200ft super 8 reels, using both flanges of the 16mm spools and a sanded core fom a 400ft super 8 reel.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 02, 2012 03:53 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now we are talking boys! Thanks for the responses. [Smile]

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2012 06:34 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a standard 8 machine with reel arms that are positioned on the front of the machine. A 600' take up reel, interferes with the lens.

By splitting a 400' reel and replacing it with a smaller hub, provides my three reelers to run continuously.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC