8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Superman 3 X 400' ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Superman 3 X 400' ?
Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2012 08:56 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the opportunity to but the three reel Superman and was wondering if any one can briefly report how the editing is... and if it's worth getting since I already have the 400'... also how is the color on the prints... Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 02, 2012 01:31 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian..... It is very nice edit than 400'. You will get the entire movie. But as far as I remember you need to keep the 400' one. The reason because the last scene on 3 x 400 is not Superman taking the bad guys into the jail which this can be taken from 400' s last scene.

--------------------
Winbert

Carter Bradley
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2012 08:53 AM      Profile for Carter Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is correct. You may edit the last scene from your 400' version onto the 3X400' version and therefore have an additional scene and some nice credits.

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2012 10:59 AM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the german version (3x400 and also the 1x400).
I keep them seperate, because the color of 1x400 is a little bit better.
And I like the 1x400 version more than the longer version.

Oemer

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 02, 2012 11:07 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Oemer, I am curios to know how can you like 400' better than 3 x 400'. Certainly you are free to have your own opinion

But for me this is an action packed movie where there are many not-to-related segments which we can enjoy individually (i.e Baby Superman, Clark at College, Clark at Daily Post, Clark is in love, Superman saves the world, Superman catches the bad guys, etc, etc).

In my opinion the 400' covers them all but due to time constraints, everything becomes too short.

But well, that is my own opinion.

BTW the color of my 3 parter (from UFA, Germany) is just the same like my 400' from Warner (USA), it is on Kodak SP with brownish tone. I don't know if AGFA or Fuji stock have ever been used.

--------------------
Winbert

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 02, 2012 01:46 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Making Superman even more super...

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 02, 2012 02:12 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...that's it.

Now I know why my 3x400' (transferred to 1200') is a bit splicey. Perhaps the previous owner also had done surgery like you did.

But to be honest it makes me more enjoying the entire reels.

And as you said JM, this is a hobby, and we need to sacrifice time ....and money! [Wink]

--------------------
Winbert

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2012 03:43 PM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert, it is only my personal opinion and maybe you understand it better, if you know that collecting of Super 8 prints is more nostalgic childhood memories for me than watching a movie. If I like a movie so much, than I try to find a 35mm print of this movie or maybe a 16mm print or in worse case a S8 full feature in original aspect ratio.
Ok, if you collect only S8 its another view.
In the 70´s I was a big comic fan and Superman was my favorite Superhero. I watched in 1979 the Superman Movie 9 times at the cinema. As the 400 version was released get a friend of mine this and I beg him each time to screen this.
I bought the 400 and the 3x400 versions few years ago and the color on the 1x 400 version is better so I like more to watch the short version. It is like a very long Trailer.
I have on 35mm the full credits of Superman 2 on Fuji stock and I screened this few days ago and I can tell you this is much better. It is Cinemascope and the color is better than all the S8 versions I have.
I like also to watch the one parter, because it is very well edited and it is a good memory of the time in 1979.
Oemer

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC