8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Projector noise

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Projector noise
Bruce Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2012 10:13 AM      Profile for Bruce Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Moved my elmo st1200hd from a flat top table to a stand having a 6 inch solid wood top. This reduced the projector noise by at least 50%. This info has been listed on this forum, just never tried it. Now hear Daff Duck in all his glory-not the projector.
The grandkids (me too) loved it. Thanks to the forum !!

--------------------
Bruce Wright

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 06, 2012 12:09 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting to hear this. I wondered what your stand is as it's difficult to find one with 6 inches of solid wood at the top! Did you get a block of wood to put on the top, and do you know what type of wood it is?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2012 01:41 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian,
Almost any dense material will do for this, the denser the better.
You could use a 4 inch concrete block with a piece of laminated flooring bonded on the top for cleanliness and the remainder varnished to stop it shedding. Clamp the projector firmly to it. It's the transmission of vibration that makes projectors sound noisy on flimsy mounts.
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Bruce Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2012 02:36 PM      Profile for Bruce Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 6 in. thick wood came from the throw-away pile of a local company that makes large laminated support beams. Don't
know wood type. The "stand" is a Texas bar stool, 36 inches high, 16 inch dia. seat that is 2 inches thick . Rumor has it-if you can't sit on the stool you can't drink. It sure lowered the noise level.

--------------------
Bruce Wright

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 06, 2012 02:54 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what could be done by laminating a layer of balsa wood between two pieces of something like plywood, roughly the footprint of a machine: just a mat for it to sit on.

Balsa is a spectacular sound deadener. It has been used inside recording booths for example. The problem is it's very soft and needs some kind of protection. That would have to come from a material not readily warped: plywood.

I've always thought putting a machine on something too springy could set the machine in some kind of resonance and actually vibrate the beam a little.

My machines sit on a maple dining room table. I think tonight I'll lift one while it's operating and hear what difference I get.

I'm going to propose using the building block on our dining room table just to see the look on my wife's face. (Note: if I stop posting here, will someone please contact the Police so at least they can search for my body? If they can't find my car check the harbor near the boat ramp!....I'm kidding! My wife would never do that...she can't drive a manual shift!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 06, 2012 08:23 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried lifting up my machine and we agreed it didn't change the sound at all.

Then again the table top is about an inch thick and has a felt pad between it and the tablecloth.

-end of experiment.

--------------------

Bruce Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2012 08:30 PM      Profile for Bruce Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve -- About the balsa idea-- I have used what is called
"end grain balsa". The balsa is cut across the grain not with
the grain. Laminated between Lauan(a thin plywood), produces
a very strong, light structure. Never tried it for sound deading
but it works great for sailboats.

--------------------
Bruce Wright

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 06, 2012 08:45 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I figured on using two layers of 1/16" balsa with the seams staggered so the glue didn't conduct the sound through to the hardwood sandwiched on either side.

-then again I don't need to do it anyway.

Just as well, I have a few too many projects!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC