8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » RUISLIP BFCC...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: RUISLIP BFCC...
Ian John
Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2012 01:43 PM      Profile for Ian John   Email Ian John   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know if it is on again this year in the same venue? if so, what date is it on? Thanks for any info.

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 05, 2012 02:17 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ian,
As far as we're aware there is no show until possibly the autumn.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2012 04:11 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to Keith in S8FR, Ruislip as a venue is out of the question. If somewhere close to Ealing can be found then as Mike says, an October convention may be possible

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 05, 2012 06:05 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's such a shame that Ruislip is out of the question, considering how popular it was last year. I'm suspect the complaints from the people who run the venue were excessive and related to matters that wouldn't have bothered most people.

The prospects are finding a venue close to Ealing seem bleak, Keith must know the area well and surely he must have considered every possibility before opting for somewhere as far away as Ruislip!

And I think a spring date is an advantage for this convention, as that's when it started and it has tended to attract larger crowds then. October is close to Blackpool, as well as one or two other events like Rickmansworth.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Ian John
Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2012 06:36 PM      Profile for Ian John   Email Ian John   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, mike, Mal, Adrian. last year Ruislip was held on Saturday 14th May, myself and my Wife went up. A Month or so after, it was mentioned on the bfcc website that there was complaints regarding the way some people had parked their cars etc, and frm memory, I think it went on to say on the website that it looked like it would be on again at that venue this year (subject to confimation), but I think that bit of info is no longer on the website. In my opinion, I think the fact that Derann are no longer around to support the dealers room (rent wise) may have some barring on it. I agree with Adrian, that May time (spring) is by far the better time to hold it, both wheather-wise, and for numbers attending, and I think that Ruislip was a great venue in a relaxing suroundings, we had a great day out last year.

I think it would be better to anounce what is happening for this year, sooner rather than later, so people can make their plans for attending the event and diarize the event in their diary.

This is all that is on the bfcc website now, just click on "NEXT EVENT":

http://www.bfcc.biz/

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 05, 2012 07:21 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Ian, - Ruislip was a great venue and I had a great day there last year. Very pretty and relaxing surroundings, great food service, and a great stadium cinema. It could be that the demise of Derann has fundamentally altered the equation about the feasability of holding future BFCC's. I hope not, because I have enjoyed every one I have attended. Would a return to the Ealing Town Hall be possible if admission price was increaseds? At this point I would urge Keith and John to seriously consider raising the admission to about 15 or 20 pounds - not unreasonable for a great day out. And yes, my vote would definately be for a spring convention rather than a fall one.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2012 03:31 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People won't pay it Paul. A few of us would but asking Keith to shell out over £3k for a convention and then have about 80 to 100 people turn up prepared to cough up £15 is not a viable proposition.

May is not particularly suitable for me. My business demands that I am able to work on Saturdays during May and last year at Ruislip was a disaster for me as far as that was concerned. That we then had dealers leaving the main room in a disgusting state and loads of attendees parking on the grass was not taken well by the management. We all got bollockings over it and with all the other problems we had shifting all the equipment over there it's not really sensible to consider Ruislip again.

Keith is actively trying to source an alternative and if he is successful the likelihood is we will be holding conventions in October. Sorry if that is not suitable for everyone but it's unlikely to go ahead without me so that's the way it is.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 06, 2012 10:43 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, much as I'd like to attend a BFCC in April or May, October would be vastly better than no event at all! My only suggestion would be to make it as early as possible in October, because major conventions nowadays rely on the support of those willing to travel long distances, and in view of the time and expense involved, I'd say it's helpful to put as many weeks as possible between the BFCC and Blackpool.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC