8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Star Wars Scope on Ebay

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Star Wars Scope on Ebay
Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2012 07:29 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just found this on Ebay Australia.
Wonder how high this one will go?
Cheers
Terry

Star Wars on Ebay AU

|  IP: Logged

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2012 10:44 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like we'll never know how much it could have gone for. The last time I checked it was around $60 with about a day to go. I just checked and "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available." I wonder if they got an offer they couldn't refuse and ended the auction early.

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2012 11:15 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I'm sure he got an offer...wonder what it was.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 07, 2012 01:47 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Either that or he finally did his reasearch, found out that STAR WARS has been going for a thousand or more, and said, "Good Gawd! What have I done?!!!"

Lets see if it gets relisted, at a much higher price!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2012 09:27 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I contacted the seller to confirm US shipping and he replied saying he ended the auction because he got a good offer. Out of curiosity, I wrote asking him how much he sold it for. The reply I got, "Around 500 USD."

Isn't that half the going price? And there was one full feature and one abridgment. Someone recently was willing to pay $1000 and $1200 for two Star Wars films on this forum.

Since am just starting out, am curious how much these features were priced when they were released. Were they about $100 to $200?

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 07, 2012 11:05 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Based from old catalog, at the end of 1970s a full feature was sold around $149 - $179. However you should know that Derann 2nd return to 8mm was at the end of 1980s. So price must have increased from that. Those Derann excellent releases were done in 1990s.

In 2007 catalog, a full feature is around £250 - 350.

The last full feature was made was "the Master and Commander" (Russel Crowe.

Regarding Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back And Retrn of Jedi, not too long ago (around 3 months ago), Paul Foster, a long time dealer offered these three at the same time. If I am not mistaken Star Wars was the highest sold for £650, followed by Empire for £450 And Jedi was for £350 (please who remembee precisely the price to chime in).

So what the latest price willing to be paid by that seller you mention is not the market price for these titles. So don't use it as the measurement.

After that seller purchased Star Wars for $1000, couple weeks after the same title showed up in Ebay and sold only for €350 something.

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 08, 2012 12:54 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's one of those things that I try to caution new collectors about when buying features on super 8 ...

The only reason why STAR WARS and the other two films command such a high price is that they have "cross-over" potential.

That is, they not only interest the super 8 collector, but even people who don't even have a desire for a projector, like the thought of actually owning a print of these titles in they're love of STAR WARS.

So, for a person to buy the STAR WARS threesome on super 8 at a high price, also have the strong potential of getting back they're investment in the prints, so I don't mind saying, "Yes, this price your offering is certainly a fair price".

... but I'll equally inform the newbie is they are being screwed as well.

That is why it really irks me when some film collectors will find a "newbie" ,a new collector and will say, "Sure I will sell you a print of "Seven Brides for Seven Brother" (I'm just using that as an example), for a 1,000", snickering to themselves all the while when that print can easily be gotten for 300.00, 400.00 or even less, as it doesn't have the resell market value that a STAR WARS has. That seasoned collector should be ashamed, as it reflects on all of us, and when I do run into a newbie, I always invite them to contact me before buying a print, just to find out what a feature is really worth.

We shouldn't take advantage of newbies, but some do.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 08, 2012 01:32 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK here is the other Star Wars was sold in Spain for EUR 326 as I mentioned above:

Star Wars Derann Full Feture Euro 326

ps: the link is taken off, but you can read from the feed back. It is written:

quote:
Awsome Print! Great seller!
Buyer:moviesdirectorman (145)
07-Oct-11 22:49
STAR WARS 1977 DERANN COMPLETE SUPER 8 8MM MOVIE LA GUERRA DE LAS GALAXIAS (#160649736598)
EUR 326.00

The print went to the USA. I am wondering if buyer also member of this forum.

So if the Australian seller got an offer for $500 and he took it, I think that was a rationale decision considering it will not involve Ebay fee and sort of.

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC