8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » A Strange Night

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Strange Night
Bradford A Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2012 06:12 AM      Profile for Bradford A Moore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As some of you may know I have a weekly film series on Thursday nights. For starters, which wasn't too uncommon when I was setting up my bulb blew. Luckily I had one spare EFP in my car. I was showing Harold Lloyd in Girl Shy, which is one of his harder films to come by, so this is why this story is very sad and frustrating.

Towards the end of the third reel the audience and myself watch a frame burn, and the projector come to a hault. Sure enough after opening up the back of my Elmo ST 800, the motor belt had snapped. I have never had this happen all my years of having a showing. I only had it replaced about three years ago. I'm surprised I had no warning. The belt doesn't looked stretched, or anything out of the unordinary. It even looks fairly new. Its a clean break. Any thoughts of why this happend?

Even if I had a spare belt, its something that can't be replaced on the spot like a bulb. Its too bad that when something like this happens that the bulb doesn't turn off too, and save you the frame of a nice hard to get print.

[Confused] [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2012 09:59 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I've had this clean break happen with a motor belt also (no warning, burning frame [Mad] ). I think it may just be a combination of factors such as how often and how long your showings are, large reels, climate, and allowing some warm-up time before putting the projector in forward mode. It may also be the quality (or lack thereof) of the individual belt. For me personally, using my projector nearly every day, three years is a long time to use the same motor belt.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2012 10:55 AM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brad,

Sorry to hear about this, I've also had lamp blow out just as I was starting the first reel of the film on my ST-600. I take the "new" EFP replacement out and put that one in only the find out that it was already burnt out!

It was very frustrating but, there was only one other person there so we talked for 30 min. about film and I promised to reschedule. We watched that same film last weekend on a different, longer running projector and had a much bigger audience. There were no problems that night, but now I always bring a back up projector, just in case.

I hope you can reschedule Girl Shy at another time, one burnt frame is not too bad, thank goodness it didn't chew the film up...

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Bradford A Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2012 02:24 PM      Profile for Bradford A Moore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was able to get replacement belts through Phil Johnson, who is sending them directly to the guy who will replace them. If I have it back it time for next Thursday I will show the last reel after next weeks film. I'm glad next week is in 16mm so I have less to worry about.

I just hope all goes well by the 23rd, because I'm having a special night, and calling it a Mock Silent Spaghetti Western. I'm poking fun at the Italian Spaghetti westerns, and I will be showing a super 8 Blackhawk print of The Toll Gate with William S. Hart, and will be serving a Homeade Spaghetti Dinner with salad, garlic bread, and wine. I will also have three piece band adding the soundtrack. A fiddle, mandolin, and a stand up bass. [Cool]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC