8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo ST-800 Speed Adjustment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo ST-800 Speed Adjustment
Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 10, 2012 09:38 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that I have new belts on my Elmo ST-800 I need to adjust the speed. I did some telecine tests and at 18fps I'm getting more flicker than I can usually control with my camcorder settings. I think it needs to speed up a bit. Anyway, what and where is the capacitor or transistor on the circuit board to do that? Are there separate controls for 18 and 24? What are the typical range of adjustments for 18 and 24fps?

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

|  IP: Logged

John Hermes
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2012 10:02 PM      Profile for John Hermes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To the right of the flywheel there are two VR, one for 18 fps, one for 24 fps. You should probably be able to adjust the 18 fps for 20 fps, if you are transferring at this speed. With a shutter speed of 1/60 on your camcorder, the flicker should disappear as you reach 20 fps.

--------------------
John Hermes

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2012 10:31 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice,

Once you register, follow this thread:

http://16mmfilmtalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=23048

I used a wooden letter opener to do the trick!

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 11, 2012 03:12 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@John, thanks. I found the two VR's. The one on the left is for 24fps and the one on the right for 18fps.

@Gerald, I did sign up for that forum...but have to wait until my registration is approved before I can login. I figured it out anyway. That tip about the wooden letter opener was great! I just happen to have one in my desk drawer. I never use it because it's too darn dull to even open an envelope. I've been going to throw it away for years....but good thing I didn't...it worked perfectly :-)

[ February 11, 2012, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC