8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » DUO SOUND PROJECTOR INFO PLEASE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DUO SOUND PROJECTOR INFO PLEASE
Thomas Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2012 03:43 PM      Profile for Thomas Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
any info please on the Duo Sound Projector is it reliable
i think it was made in italy they also done a dual gauge
machine thanks [Wink]

--------------------
t.smith

|  IP: Logged

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 28, 2012 03:32 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Thomas. On the surface they look a little plastic but actually they were fitted with a high quality lens and do take 800ft spools which was handy. The Duo can be spotted in various guises and were badged by other companies including the Pathe brand. On offer were twin track models and also dual gauge sound machines which were quite light weight and the electronics inside the box did not rely on special unobtainable modules. When I had a Duo the only thing that went wrong was to replace a drive belt. I found them to be a projector kind to film with a simple film path and easy to maintain. Hope this helps..

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2012 04:07 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then again I have a Duo that I purchased brand new in the late 80s - it quickly wore out and was capable of putting thick emulsion scratches down my precious prints and managed to do this on a regular basis if I didn't really keep an eye on things.

This is the problem with plastic film guides but the Duo seemed particularly prone to it.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Thomas Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2012 06:14 AM      Profile for Thomas Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello lee and john thanks for info was the dual gauge projector
any good i think it used a switch to change the gauge over

--------------------
t.smith

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2012 09:33 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom,
I recently bought a Duo Track 480 Electronic Sound Super 8 Projector from a forum member on ebay and really like it. It's a solid workhorse, projects a sharp and steady image, takes 800ft reels, has bass and treble controls, an excellent Schneider Xenovar F 1.2 15.5 - 28mm zoom lens and is uncomplicated and reliable. I would certainly buy another if one in good working order came along.

Paul.

Thomas Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted February 29, 2012 08:11 AM      Profile for Thomas Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello paul the reason i ask the question about this make of
projector was because i was told that parts were hard to find
must mean drive belts,also that the dual gauge machine was very
poor and the switch that change the gauge to super or standard 8 was not reliable and caused damage to film ?

--------------------
t.smith

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 29, 2012 03:30 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a brand that really made the mark. Have had experience of these and agree the plastic gate does not treat film that well. If you are buying then a not very used one is the best bet, because they are not built for heavy use. And if al goes wrong who going to fix them? Stick with the major brand makes and at least you have a chance of repair in most cases. The slider contols is another point and have found that this also is not a good idea, causing some noise on wear from fellow collectors machines.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 01, 2012 05:18 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um, I think some seem to be comparing this quietly to a GS1200 which it is not. The Twin track Duo was a fairly inexpensive machine which was light, came with a superb lens and interesting features such as independent volume control for each track. Although unlike the Elmo GS1200 it didn’t spill light all over your ceiling from the lamp house illuminating your audience. Have a bit of a soft spot for the Duo and yes on the dual 8 model it changed gauges at the flick of a switch which worked but did seem a bit flimsy. The twin track model was quite a nice little machine for the home and from memory took the same drive belt as the Norisound projectors. With 800ft spool capacity, top quality German lens they were quite a steal for modest money then.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC