8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Ebay Projectors - Which one should I get?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ebay Projectors - Which one should I get?
Karen Crosby
Junior

- posted March 19, 2012 06:33 PM      Profile for Karen Crosby   Email Karen Crosby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been looking through Ebay for a few weeks now in hopes of buying my first projector. After reading many posts here I realized most are Elmo and Eumig fans. I would love to purchase one of these but they are few and far between. Finding one without any issues or dealing with overseas shipping has proven problematic. Time is running out as I have a deadline of sorts and need to buy one in the next week.

I found a couple that might do the trick, I only need one for the short term as I plan to transfer all my reels digitally. The purpose of buying the projector would be to weed out the bad reels from the good before shelling out a lot of money for transfers. Btw, if anyone is curious, I will be using pro8mm.com for the transfers. I have never used them before but they were recommended by a photographer/film maker friend.

If one of the seasoned experts here could look at the following two projectors and let me know what they recommend in my situation, I would greatly appreciate it. The only problem I can see with the Eumig is that the reel is missing but I am hoping that is easily remedied.

Thank you-Karen

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270934851094?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_1203

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230763386554?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_1203

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 19, 2012 07:20 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Karen
Between the two projectors the Eumig would be my choice. The danger with all second hand projectors including that one, is the risk of scratching those precious films. If you dont intend to use a projector for anything else except inspection, perhaps a hand wind "Editor" eg a Goko would be cheaper and better. Are all your home movie films still on 50ft reels? If so I would sort them out in order using the editor, then ask the transfer place if they could join them up for you onto a larger reel eg 400 footer. They will probably charge you for this extra work. I would talk to these folks first and see what they say. They probably get this all the time.

Graham.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 19, 2012 09:33 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I go along with Graham, you don't need a projector. A viewer editor is much easier to use and less likely to have problems. About 90% of the projectors I buy have some problem or another. I've had to learn repair skills, which I'm sure is not what you have in mind [Smile] Just do an eBay search for 8mm editor or viewer.

Also, most transfer facilities will splice your reels onto 400 foot reels as part of the transfer service. Usually they will apply color correction also. You may have to pay extra for customized editing out of bad segments or unwanted segments, but they will do this after the transfers have been digitized. Definitely ask what extent of editing is included. I have heard excellent feedback about pro8mm.com...but they are expensive.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Karen Crosby
Junior

- posted March 19, 2012 11:14 PM      Profile for Karen Crosby   Email Karen Crosby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham and Janice,

Thank you both for your replies. I think I will take your advice and purchase a viewer/editor. After reading your responses I lucked out finding a Minette Editor S-5 on Craigslist not too far from me. From what I can tell it is a fair price as well, $95. What do you think? I have been checking for anything super 8 related on CL but until now the results have been dismal, talk about good timing.

To answer your question Graham, the reels are all 25'. I will definitely heed your advice about putting them in order and splicing out the more mundane items. I remember when I first started filming I would shoot just about anything, meaning at least a third of it is very boring. I have never done splicing but it SEEMS straight forward enough, perhaps I am delusional, I will need to read up on it.

Janice, no I really don't want to have to fiddle with a projector especially since I am going to have to turn right around and sell it again. I am moving over seas in a few months and lugging it along is just not an option. At least with the viewer/editor, that can fit in a suit case. As far as pro8mm is concerned, the more work I do now the better, all the individual services really add up. Since these are the only films I have of my daughter growing up, I wouldn't risk the films to anyone else. I have already gotten a quote (shocker) from them but that was for the whole kit and kaboodle in HD. I will definitely be going with SD at half the price for now.

Thank you both again for quick and informative replies.

Cheers-Karen

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2012 07:00 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Karen!

I just wanted to say after you have your films transfered....KEEP THE ORIGINAL FILMS! I have known some folks that transfered their films, then tossed the films in the garbage. Then years later when the media is broken or obsolete they don't have the originals.

Nothing can replace the original film.

Good luck!

Bill [Smile]

Karen Crosby
Junior

- posted March 22, 2012 09:36 PM      Profile for Karen Crosby   Email Karen Crosby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bill,

I would never dream of throwing them away, those babies will be with me in a suitable container for as long as I live! [Big Grin]

Cheers!

Karen

Glenn Brady
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2012 04:53 PM      Profile for Glenn Brady   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Brady   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well-designed and well-built, the Minette S-5 is the best Super 8 viewer I've used (and $95.00 is a fair price for a viewer in fully working condition).

Karen Crosby
Junior

- posted March 23, 2012 09:23 PM      Profile for Karen Crosby   Email Karen Crosby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great, that's the one I got. Glad I didn;t over pay. [Smile]

Cheers-Karen

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC