8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Film In a Heated Garage?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Film In a Heated Garage?
Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2012 11:16 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone seen this seller on eBay? mbeamer5. There a four super 8 digests for sale. All have been "stored for over 35 years in a shoe box in heated garage!" Not exactly what I would call a great selling point.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Film-/63821/i.html?_ipg=&_from=&_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ssn=mbeamer5

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 23, 2012 12:40 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! Now there's honestly for ya! Refreshing! Watch, the lousy films will double in price overnight! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 23, 2012 01:01 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The wayit reads to me...it sounds like this guy thinks storing them in the shoe box in a heated garage is a good thing.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 23, 2012 01:38 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be happier with "Stored in a heated and air conditioned garage", but hey: at least it's Ohio and not Arizona or Texas!

Truth: If I wanted the print badly enough and the price was OK I'd take the gamble.

I just bought four prints from an antique seller who couldn't look at them first. They turned out to be pretty close to perfect (leaders cut on the diagonal: probably never projected.) The odds were respectable I'd wind up with red faded garbage, but that chance was worth it!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Nicholas Cook
Junior

- posted March 23, 2012 09:07 PM      Profile for Nicholas Cook   Email Nicholas Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds fine to me.

I'm thinking he means that the garage was heated along with the rest of the house, so in the winter, it remained at a comfortable temperature.

I'd feel more comfortable buying film that had been kept at a relatively constant temp. for 35 years as opposed to film that had gone from 30 below in the winter to 40 degrees in the summer for three and a half decades.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 24, 2012 04:35 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm inclined to agree with Nicholas - there can't be many people who can afford to keep their garage warm even if it has some heating!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2012 05:36 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, a comfortable temperature sounds great except that he did not say the garage was air conditioned in the summer. In the last 35 years we have had our fair share of hot summers in Ohio. I know my garage gets really hot in July. Not so good for film.

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 24, 2012 06:25 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the pleasure of checking out a large number of Super8 films that had come from a film library. Those films had been stored in very warm conditions in the summer months and as a result, badly faded. Only a handfull of films were any good out of the 100 or so looked at.
I think a cool dry place is the best bet.

Graham.

Scott Mallory
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2012 10:32 PM      Profile for Scott Mallory   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best place I have to store my films is a guestroom closet. Not too hot or cold, but I wouldn't call it cool either. I have cleaned and lubed them all with Filmguard and store them in plastic cans (some ventilated). Should mine be okay? I don't have a basement.

--------------------
Scott

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2012 12:06 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, that sounds like the best available option... steady temperature and humidity.

Scott Mallory
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2012 08:56 PM      Profile for Scott Mallory   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Bill.

--------------------
Scott

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC