8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » [HELP] Change the belt on Sankyo-800

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: [HELP] Change the belt on Sankyo-800
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 28, 2012 11:44 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I have a Sankyo 800 and need to change one of its belt (Did you call it "drive belt"?).

See the picture below:

-

I was trying to pull out the belt through no. 1, but it stuck on the place where the arrow is.

Then, I tried to pull out through no. 2, and it got stuck on the place where the arrow is.

So I think there is a trick to pull out the belt. Can you tell me how can I do that, please?.

thanks

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 29, 2012 03:52 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Winbert,I'm not familiar with the layout of your machine,but
they all have one thing in common,and that is that no allowance
has been made for replacement of belts.What the "trick" is,is to
look for a free end on the shaft and work your belt towads it,
by using crude means such as the handle of a spoon or a table
knife (as they don't have a sharp edge) and forcing the rubber belt through the small gap between pulleys, (as theres no way
you can start dismantling your projector),and rotating the pulleys while doing this,it is possible to replace belts.Why a
slightly larger gap isn't left for this task is beyond me,as surely
the manufacturer must've known that rubber belts do snap.
I've used this method Winbert and it does work,just be careful
of your fingers.Hope that helps.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 29, 2012 09:01 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hugh,

Thanks for replying. But the belt is so thick, and I don't see any gap that I can use for your trick.

Unfortunate Mike Peckham the man of Sankyo does not show up here for quite long time. Now, I am waiting input from Australia (Projector Heaven) as he knows a lot of machines. Can I ask your favor, Frank? [Wink] or others maybe...

--------------------
Winbert

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 29, 2012 10:19 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm not mistaken, you should be able to snap a new belt in after you remove the inching knob assembly placed just behind the pulley of the shaft; this way there should be enough room for the job. If that doesn't suffice, try losening the back screw which holds in place the main shaft and move this just a little bit outward until you can remove the old belt and replace it with a new one; BE CAREFUl: such a movement must be a very little one or you will damage the claw assembly. Good luck.

--------------------
Maurizio

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 29, 2012 01:51 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurizio,

Thanks.

I am interested with your explanation below:

quote:
1. After you remove the inching knob assembly placed just behind the pulley of the shaft
and

quote:
2. Try losening the back screw which holds in place the main shaft and move this just a little bit outward until you can remove the old belt
Since I am really blind with all those terms (plus my limitation in English), I provide below the same picture but now with grids.

-

Can you tell me for your first explanation and the second one by mentioning (e.g) C.3 if the place you meant is there.

Can you do me a favor Maurizio please.

--------------------
Winbert

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 29, 2012 05:39 PM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert,

I have just replaced the belt on my Sankyo 800 and it was quite easy to do. I will describe the steps and here is a picture.
 -

The first thing to do after removing the rear cover is to remove a small circlip near the spring that holds in place the inching knob. Pull that locating circlip out and the knob will slide out.
Don't drop the clip down behind the power supply and loose it.

Then loosen the 2 philips screws which locate the frame counter to the chassis. This will allow the counter assembly to slide down and to the right, giving the clearance needed to fit the belt. Temporarily tighten one of the screws to keep the frame counter drive gear away from the worm gear while you replace the belt. Now you can easily slide the new belt into place.

Replacement is the reverse order. Make sure there is no grease on the rubber belt when finished fitting it.

It is a bit tricky to refit the circlip because of tight space but go carefully and pop the circlip back into its groove while compressing the spring with your other hand.

Have a go and let us know the result.

dogtor frankarnstein [Razz]

[ March 29, 2012, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: frank arnstein ]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 29, 2012 05:57 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, Frank replied sooner than I did; what he describes is exactly what you should do and the photo he included makes things almost self-explanatory.

Let us know the results.

--------------------
Maurizio

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 30, 2012 08:57 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Frank, I know you are the man...!

I will try tonight and let you know the result.

This is why I love this forum so much.... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC