8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Slippage with a Bolex SP 8 Special

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Slippage with a Bolex SP 8 Special
Eric Ray
Junior

- posted March 30, 2012 10:03 PM      Profile for Eric Ray   Email Eric Ray   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just received a Bolex SP8 Special projector. However, the rotor is slipping on the rubber disks. I was wondering how the disks should be cleaned. Should I use rubbing alcohol on the rubber disks. The whole motor pivots to the right or left for forward or backward operation.
 -

|  IP: Logged

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2012 03:42 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eric, a wide shot and a mid shot would help me understand the situation better. I have a similar projector, SP-80, so at least I can try to help.

Eric Ray
Junior

- posted March 31, 2012 09:26 PM      Profile for Eric Ray   Email Eric Ray   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a different shot. I will have to wait until tomorrow to take more pictures. The projector is at the office.

-

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 31, 2012 11:18 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Eric,

This sounds like another case of the classic Eumig slipping disk. If you search through this forum looking for the words "Eumig" and "disk", there are a lot of discussions about what people have done about it. (The Bolex SPs are really Eumig products.)

Some sand 'em to roughen the surface, some clean 'em. Sometimes they start working afterwards, sometimes they don't.

I've been waiting for mine to take a skid for a decade now: so far, so good.

Rubbing alcohol is pretty benign: I'd try it for something like this as a first shot.

This is a very simple, very clever continuously variable transmission, unfortunately when the rubber facing on that drive disk wears they tend to lose traction and grind to a halt.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Eric Ray
Junior

- posted April 01, 2012 05:43 PM      Profile for Eric Ray   Email Eric Ray   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Using rubbing alcohol seems to have helped. I have watched a couple of films so far. They both projected correctly.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC