8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » "Blue Water, White Death"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Blue Water, White Death"
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 02, 2012 01:16 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I saw this auction on ebay ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Water-White-Death-Super-8mm-film-4-x-400-Color-Mag-Sound-VERY-RARE-/160776650657?pt=US_Film&hash=item256f08ffa1

Must be an extremely rare film print. Hey Winbert, didn't you buy an optical super 8 print of this very film from That John T down in South Africa? This one, however, appears to be magnetic sound.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2012 07:28 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi - I was about to post this and ask the same thing - but you beat me to it! I have never seen this before... has anyone?

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted April 02, 2012 07:36 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually had a print of this that I took out of film cassettes and put on reels. It is a good film. The print I had still had good color but optical sound if I remember correctly. I think I sold it to Winbert. It's a good film.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 16, 2012 01:22 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good heavens! Look at how that auction has risen up! I bet the buyer will be somewhat disappointed. The advertising makes it look like a "JAWS" style film when it's really a documentary.

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 25, 2012 09:09 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We never knew what is the worth of a film until somebody bid on it. But first of all, I have to thank Pat twice, first for trading this film for me and second, for writing the above post about the optical sound so I realized I made a mistake on my first listing.

When I received his film from Pat it was on a custom made jacket which I didn't like it. So I made my own. But after watching the first reel and I knew I would not like it at all. So after keeping for several months, I decided to list it on Ebay.

Because I spent hours and hours to make my own cover plus the cost of ink jet color (not to mention all mistakes) I put the starting price $49 to cover those efforts (ps: I will open another thread about this custom made cover and you will see step by step how I made this).

In the first listing, I received two bidders and reached $69 something by that time I read this thread and realized I made a mistake by describing this as a magnetic sound film without re-checking. So when I found this was an optical sound as Pat mentioned above I canceled the listing for a revision.

I did not continue to list after also finding that the higher bidder was the same person with my other listing which was still on. I was afraid if he or she won my 2 listings (both multi-reelers), would be hit by the Canada Post`high shipping cost. So I decided to wait until my first listing finish.

I didn't realize that this postponement brought another luck that another potential buyer came up. So when I re-listed this, this new bidder were on bid war against the previous bidder brought the price to $250 on the 5th day. I could not believe my own eyes to see this.

But when I checked the new bidder was from a country that most Ebay sellers would not to send, I contacted the higher bidder. My basic principle was not to discriminate anyone because every body needs to have same opportunity to buy my film no matter his or her country was well known for fraud or the shipping cost will be enormous.

So I kindly emailed the bidder to notify him to check my shipping calculator provided in my listing and if he felt to be expensive he was most than welcome to cancel the bid. But he didn't do that and kept bidding until finally reached $350!

So he was the winner.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160782045261?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1562.l2649

Not waiting too long he paypaled me, although the shipping cost alone was $88!

Osi, the winner knew about this film, so he was not expecting a kind of action one. And if you read the summary of this film that it was shot in South Africa. May be he has some attachment to it.

So, this film was from South Africa, sent to the USA later was sent to Canada, and finally the film will be going home soon! funny huh....

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 25, 2012 01:08 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It amazed me, but that's the funny thing about the "crap shoot" known as ebay. Some things that would never sell for a lot, will suddenly surprise you as a bidding war commences. I'm really surprised to see how high it did get.

I thought that was probably you selling it, as it was Canada, and I had remembered you buying it, and when I didn't see it listed as optical sound, if it was you, I assumed that it was an oversight on your part, as I know your character to be on the "up and up", so there was never a thought in my mind as to whether you were being naughty or not. You are and have always been a man of integrity in my "book"

OSI

PS, I envy that selling price! That has to be one of the higest amounts ever paid for an optical super 8 print, to be sure! Possibly a new record.

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 25, 2012 01:20 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, that is I call a "luck". If I didn't make that mistake, I will never pulled out the listing and would likely to sell it for $69. Something I already feel good.

But because a week of postponement, another new bidder involved to pump the price up to $350. [Wink]

This is a rare thing so I cannot hope to have the same luck over and over.

Moral of the story, never limit your buyers based on the country/region, not everyone is bad and you never know where your luck is [Razz]

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted April 25, 2012 02:59 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert

Congrats on the sale of the film I traded you. Was it in the proper order when I edited in back together from the cartridges I wasn't sure. What a surprise that was. I'm happy for you. Matter of fact I almpost bid on it myself!

PatD [Confused]

I am also very interested in how you made the box.

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2012 04:13 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to loved to get this but the optical sound and the high bidding war kept me away. The fact that it was a documentary interested me more; if it was another feature like Jaws, I'd have stayed away.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 26, 2012 09:58 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pat are you going to bid on your own film? [Big Grin]

I will post the way to make this custom jacket...and I am sure you will be amazed. But I need take time to re-arrange the photos and its story.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted April 26, 2012 03:08 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking forward to the posting. As you may know, I love box art. And yes, I almost bid on my own film because I watched it silent and thought the one on ebay was magnetic. Even watching it silent I enjoyed it. I think it is an excellent documentary.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC