8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bolex B8 issues

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bolex B8 issues
Bill Pascarelli
Junior

- posted April 05, 2012 07:13 AM      Profile for Bill Pascarelli   Email Bill Pascarelli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
I recently picked up a 1955 Bolex B8. Seemed to be in descent shape however there are a couple of problems that I was curious about. Maybe these are things that cant be fixed.
Firstly, the film door doesnt seem to latch. It closes but if you flip the camera over, the door often opens. Otherwise, it opens just by pulling it open instead of needing to turn the release knob. Is there something I should be looking for that would be a common fix for this or am I just doing it wrong? If there is no fix, I assume I can still film using this camera and there wouldnt be any problems as long as I keep the door closed?
Second, a full wind at 16fps only lasts 15 seconds. 24fps about 10-11 seconds. Is this normal? I was under the impression that 16fps should be at least 20 or even 30 seconds. I have oiled the main red gear under the pressure plate and it is running much better now than it was initially but this short wind time has me a little concerned. Thanks for any help you can offer!

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 05, 2012 10:14 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A full wind on my C8 ( same camera body) ran for exactly 30 seconds at 16fps.
The inside of the door should have a rotating cam-lock which engages with the post when you close the door and rotate the latch. This will intentionally NOT lock the door if the film gate has not been closed.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2012 10:55 AM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you do have the lever for the film gate pushed forward and it is still not latching properly then the latch mechanism may be bent. On the inside center of the door is a piece of metal that hooks onto the screw post when you turn it. The post is located in the center of the plastic piece inside the camera, likely the one you removed to oil the gear. I'm thinking if someone tried to force the door open without turning the latch to open the piece of metal inside the door may have bent. It is thin metal and you may try to bend it by pushing it toward the inside of the door. Do this a little bit at a time and test it.

If that doesn't work another option is to get some gaffers tape and tape the door shut when you are filming. Gaffers tape is designed not to permanently stick to stuff or leave residue. Some people will tape around the door with it to seal light leaks when they are shooting.

Another option is to purchase a cheap broken camera for parts and swap the doors. There are a few little screws holding the hinge on. I did this with a problem door and it worked great.

As far as your run time goes you may have a weak spring or there is still some resistance in the camera. Sometimes after you lube that gear you have to run it a lot to get the oil worked in. Does it seem to run at the same speed for the entire 15 seconds or does it slow down at the end?

One thing you can do is check your camera speed. I do this with an old roll of expired film. I make a mark with a permanent marking pen every 16 or 18 perforations (depending on what speed you plan to shoot at). Number each mark from 0 to 20. Load the film so you can see where the 0 mark is before it enters the take-up spool. With the camera fully wound start a stop watch and at the same time you start the camera. Stop the camera at 10 seconds and see what number is showing on the film. Since you have adjustable speed on your camera you can increase the speed a little if it is running slow and re-check it. Many of these old cameras don't run at the proper speed anymore and need a little adjustment. If your speed is too slow your exposure time will be longer and you may overexpose your film a little. Not to mention everyone will be moving fast.

I hope this helps.

Bill Pascarelli
Junior

- posted April 05, 2012 11:17 AM      Profile for Bill Pascarelli   Email Bill Pascarelli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The door wont close when the lever on the film gate is not forward. When I push the lever forward, the door will close and look fine but it wont be "latched", it will just pop open by itself or without needing to use the little knob.
I think I am missing the metal piece that hooks the screw. There is just a screw in the center of the door and it doesnt appear to do anything. Here is a pic of the inside of the door.  -

As far as the run time, it runs at the same speed and then maybe the last 2 seconds it starts to sputter a little bit or make a sound like its slowing down. At 8fps, it runs for about 24 seconds, thats the longest I can get it to run on a single wind.

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2012 01:30 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are missing the metal piece that holds the door shut. Like I said above, you can use gaffers tape or something to hold it shut. It does sound like you may have a weak spring. That is something I have not attempted to fix. You would need a good spring from another camera. I think you need to take a lot of the camera apart to replace it. I rarely make any shots over 10 seconds so the camera still may be useful to you.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC