8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Forthcoming 8mm releases

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Forthcoming 8mm releases
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 24, 2012 04:59 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As with many interests its vital we have new material coming available and so I wondered if anyone else would be interested in a new trailer reel for 2012. What about two classic trailers on one reel which lean more towards those with interests in film content itself then? I wonder if anyone would fancy 'The Artist' and 'Ed Wood' as a double special as both trailers have interesting content and full of nostalgia for us home movie men and gals.

Thoughts anyone…

|  IP: Logged

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 24, 2012 10:13 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm all for releasing new titles to keep the hobby alive, but honestly, when no new projectors are being manufactured or parts made available for the old war horses we all own it seems this hobby has very short legs which is why we probably will not see new 8mm releases any time in the future or at least on a regular basis. The production costs probably outweigh potential sales. It is a shame because I love the digest format and would love to acquire newer prints of what I have in case anything should go wrong to render them un-playable.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 24, 2012 12:43 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New releases would be nice but, as I've said in the past, used prints are what keep the hobby alive.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 24, 2012 01:14 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank goodness for used prints, eh?

New releases are fine and dandy, but it takes a hell of a lot of money to just go through all the optical printing (for the negative) making prints, sound striping and then the final part, recording the soundtrack before it's released that literally makes a new release financially unfeasible.

That's what Gian Luca Loncrini and I ran into with "Saturday Morning Madness", A 14 minute reel of classic animated commercials, ranging from the mid 60's to 1982. By the time all the steps above mentioned were completed,. the finished reel cost about 130.00 dollars, (it was on a fairly full 400ft reel).

But at least we had fun with it. Along with the actual film, I designed a 10 or more (I forget the number of pages) page document, in full color, detailing the history of the different characters. It was a lot of fun putting that together.

However, If I was to ever do another release, I would most certainly make sure that there was ...

a for sure base of customers for the release ...
that we could actually release the material without running tinto a butt load of copyright issues.

Now, there is an area that the old school super 8 distributors didn't have to deal with as much, as it seems that nearly everything out there these days has a copyright on it if you look into it, where many features and shorts years ago had run out of copyright protection years before.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 24, 2012 05:27 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, there are 'New' super 8 releases coming out quite frequently from one man over here. Check his web page and you will see whats coming soon including the odd feature planned.

Graham S

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2012 06:29 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi-

Did you ever finish the project? If so, put me down for one. It sounds great!

James.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 25, 2012 06:46 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi. Well, I know for sure if a distributor released those two trailers I would be one of the first to order.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 25, 2012 01:17 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James, we did actually release it, and the prints were handled by Steve Osbourne of Reel Image magazine fame. I'm not sure if he actually still has any in stock. We had wrestled with the thought of doing a shorter reel version, (on 200ft), as a few of the commercials have a little more fade than others.

You see, along with the putting these out on Super 8, there were a few, from the 1960's that, even with the best prints I could find, had a little eastman fade. One in particuclar was an early "Starkist Tuna" add, (you know, with "Sorry Charlie"), and my contact, who handled the production of the optical negative, (and he did a most masterful job, considering what he was working with!), also added filters, (cyan blue, for instance), which helped correct the color of that one immensely. Instead of a purplish color, the overall colors were restored to wonderful deep blues, (it's animated underwater, after all) ...

... and so, I am quite proud that, perhaps, Gian and I were able to present the world with possibly the only restoration anyone would choose to do on a animated commercial from the 60's for posterities sake!

Another one that was a curiosity, was the "King Dongs" commercial, (which was really just the standard Hostess "Ding Dongs", but named differently for the southern market, for some unknown reason), and my last favorite pick from that release was the very first ever animated "King Vitamin" commercial, running a full 60 seconds, as it was produced by Jay Ward productions, (of "Rocky and Bullwinkle" fame), and anyone who knows Jay Ward productions will instantly recognize the voice work on this!

... and, if you are able to get a print ordered, please e-mail me at ...

toac2001@hotmail.com

... and I will e-mail you the "liner notes" for that release, as I still have that file!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2012 06:59 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes...Steve Osborne has released Ed Wood trailer and next month he says he will release a trailer to THE ARTIST.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 26, 2012 10:51 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had no idea ED Wood was available. How do we order a copy??

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC