8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Results of Ektachrome 64T

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Results of Ektachrome 64T
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 01, 2012 05:35 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last year I decided to take a bit of Super8 film of the cinema before the place gets pulled down. I have to admit being very slow at getting it developed. Its the first time this camerea had been used in years. I last shot in low light with good results back in the 70s with Ektachrome 160. I was pushing it a bit back then with the same Canon 512 camera waiting for a wet night with plenty of light reflection of city scenes, it worked out really well.

However with Ektachrome 64T that is just back from the lab, I think this film is a bit more grainy than 160 but colour wise its very good. The film was shot with adding extra bounce light using a 1000watt halogen lamp, "very bright indeed" with a five minute "window" to shoot with it on before the lamp starts to smoke [Eek!] With this film it seems more light the better and if I could have added more at different angles etc I would have. The two rolls taken were developed in Aussie and the lab did a excellent job, plus returning it in a plastic bag with both reels joined on a 200ft reel.

I have about half a roll more of 64T still in the camera and will shoot some 35mm slide stills to fill the gaps in to complete this short three reel film. To film downstairs at the time I would have had lighting and I think I would have been pushing my luck with the staff and customers so opted not to.

I am pleased with the results, without that lighting it would have been way to dark.

It would be interesting to hear how other folk have got on using 64T.
 -
Assistant cameraman at work [Smile] "checking that focus" about to shoot yours truly threading, just about to light/smoke things up. [Eek!]
 -
Hope to shoot more outdoor film later on.

How does 64T handle outdoors?

Graham.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2012 05:55 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I shot about 8-10 rolls of the 64T all outdoors and the results were good...very natural colors but grainy. Some of the rolls had more grain than others and I wonder if it had something to do with the lab trying to get a handle on developing the new stock at the time. They were all shot under similar conditions with the same camera, a Nizo S80. When I shot my rolls it was right when super 8 64T first hit the market.

I do recall a small portion on one of the rolls filming my mother indoors and she was exposed good from some light coming directly in from a window but the rest of the room was pretty dark.(I used a B&H 442 on this one, not a low light camera) I didn't set up any artifical lighting...so it doesnt really do that well indoors without some help...at least from my experience.

Bill [Smile]

P.S. Check your PM's!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 01, 2012 06:48 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now try to shoot with E100D and you will be amazed. In fact E100D is for outdoor while 64T is for indoor (D = daylight vs T = tungsteen).

The first batch of 64T was indeed grainer and it was discussed in many forums. I don't know which batch were your cartridges from.

--------------------
Winbert

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2012 07:08 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am currently shooting my first roll of E100....I shot the first half indoors at my son's B-day party. Still have half a roll to go....

Bill [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC