8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Garbled Sound - Chinon 1200

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Garbled Sound - Chinon 1200
Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2012 10:40 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a new problem with the Chinon SS-1200. First the take-up freezes up during rewind (and sometimes playback) and now there is a sound problem.

I was watching a film last night and half way through the sound became garbled and the picture got jittery.

The projector was also way more noisy than before.

When I turned it off it was making a kind of flapping sound inside.

Is it tension trouble? What can I do to fix it?

On a side note, I will start a film in perfect focus. It is slightly out of focus by the time the film ends.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Chris

[ May 06, 2012, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: Chris Fries ]

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 05, 2012 10:53 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

May be the sound head need alignment.

About noisy, it can be the fan blades touch something?

BTW....hey you have a jukebox there....is that Seeburg?

--------------------
Winbert

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2012 11:16 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

If it is the sound head, how do I adjust it?

As for the fan, I will remove the case and check inside.

Yes, that is a 1962 Seeburg AY-160. It also has a problem. It no longer selects but I cannot remember why. As with film projectors, I am not very mechanically minded when it comes to the jukebox. Unfortunately, I am no longer in contact with the man who sold it to me. He was going to fix it. Something was taken out to be replaced but it never was. It has been silent for several years. Anyone know how to fix a jukebox? [Smile]

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 06, 2012 07:41 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I can ascertain Chris,the "flapping" noise could be just
the fly wheel in your machine,and might need a tiny drop of oil
but I don't think that's your problem.It sounds like there isn't
enough lower loop and that could mean that the snubber roller
might need adjusting to keep the proper tension on your film,
which is giving you the garbled sound.This little roller keeps the
film at the required tension and stops you picking up "claw chatter",so I would investigate that avenue.Good luck.

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2012 03:50 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the suggestions everybody.

I opened the machine up to get a good look. I cleaned the sound head and checked the snubber roller. Everything looked OK. I unscrewed the case and found a very small piece of white leader lying in the circuits. I think it may have been stuck in the gate and was finally pushed out. I ran film through it and the sound is good. There is still the flapping sound. It sounds like something is rubbing up against the wheel but I could not feel anything stuck. Well, at least I have good sound again.

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2012 06:59 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chris , i had one of these machine's in the late 80's with a similar problem , with the rewind stopping or freezing as you say. When i had a look at the internals nothing looked out of place or broken.I suspected the take up motor itself or more accurately the small gear on the end !!!.I removed the motor only to find this gear was turning on the shaft,so when loaded up with a heavy film real it was just slipping and stuttering now and then.I wonder now how close to what you have is the same as i had all that time ago ? I still have that machine today but never got this fixed because i bought an elmo st800, but i think today it would need a new gear made from brass or bronze and glued on the shaft to really fix it . I hope this may help you sort yours out .Good luck.

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2012 02:33 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul,

I may have to take a closer look inside. The sound is garbled again on the Chinon. Had to drag out the Sears II to watch movies. Hoping beyond hope that it would not eat any of my films. I got lucky. Only one leader got crinkled and that's because I forgot to trim the beginning correctly.

I will let you know if I get the Chinon working properly again.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC