8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » I found an Ektachrome S8mm exposed cartridge dated 1986

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I found an Ektachrome S8mm exposed cartridge dated 1986
Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 08, 2012 11:57 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do any of you members in the US that shoot film have a resource for developing Super 8mm? This morning I found an exposed sound cartridge in my old Canon 514 XL-S camera case. Looks like it's been there since 1986. I wonder if it's still good?

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 08, 2012 12:58 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, forget about that.

If you are thinking to shoot for casual things just go with fresh film E100D.

This old film can only be developed by a special lab, and it will cost you a fortune. I am thinking it is around $40-$50 with no guarantee for the result.

Two years ago, I got a K40 (1991) which had been stored in the freezer for its entire life. The result was still full color but foggy.

This is already 26 years ago and moreover it was not stored in a freeze. What do you expect?

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2012 01:04 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film such as that is great for "slug" leader as it is nearly opaque, and this is special because it has sound stripes. So it could be useful for prepping projection prints, or the odd repair, but I agree with Winbert that film that old will be fogged, and film of that chemistry isn't worth the price. Unless you knew with some certainty something priceless is on it.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 08, 2012 01:43 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to use the film...it has already been exposed. I just want to develop it. Who knows what's on it...Maybe some footage of my 2 sons when they were 6 and 7 years old. I don't have a problem paying $40-50 to get it developed to recapture some of those images.

--------------------
Janice

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 08, 2012 02:05 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice
I would still get it developed with the hope its still sort of OK, you never know it might be alright, as you say the content is worth taking the chance. I would contact Dwayne's and see what they say.

Graham.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 08, 2012 03:16 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Graham for the positive feedback [Smile] I have emailed Dwayne's to see if they can process it.

--------------------
Janice

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2012 03:25 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FilmRescue in Canada will develop it for about $34. Since it sounds like it may have been exposed when it was fresh you will get better results than exposing it now. You should call them first and find out what your results will likely be. I don't think Dwayne's will do it.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2012 04:28 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, I'm interested in knowing if Dwayne's will do it. They had a cutoff date some time ago. I agree with the others, don't expect too much, but I know what you mean. My last two rolls that Dwayne's did had my family on them, and even though fogged and faded, I'm glad I spent the money [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 08, 2012 04:49 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Dwayne will not process this type of films, for sure.

Dwayne only process E6 while this Ektachrome uses different chemical.

Joe, Dwayne stopped process K40 2 years ago...so that's it.

Try Film Rescue as Brian mentioned above, but beware, it works according to timetable meaning not every day they will process this type of film. It goes by every six weeks. And if no other cartridge comes during that cycle, your cart will be postponed.

They can process exclusively (rush processing) for one cartridge for :

quote:
Rush charges

Still film processing – 200 dollars plus all other charges
Motion picture film processing – 600 dollars plus all other charges

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 08, 2012 10:49 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Bryan and Winbert...FilmRescue looks like the choice. The next processing is scheduled for June 4th....so I should make that batch easily.

--------------------
Janice

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2012 11:05 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let us know how it comes out.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2012 06:13 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Janice-

I JUST did the same thing. I had a role of the same film (Ektachrome 160, sound). It was from the 90's, so I checked around and found a guy in NY that hand-processes this film. I called the phone number and we ended up talking for quite a while about film. He was very nice and knowledgable about film.

His price was about the same as Film Rescue, but his turn-around time was shorter. I sent it to him last month, and he said I should have it back by June.

Here's a cut-and-paste from a Google search:
Martin Baumgarten, Plattsburg Photographic, 18 Elm St. Plattsburg, NY 12901 tel: 518 561 6312 Martin does processing of many special films by hand. He is also the author of many helpful technical articles about Super 8 and 8mm film all across the web. Contact him at Super8mm at aol dot com.

James.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 09, 2012 07:03 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin is a man in this 8mm film scenes. He is a member in many forums and always answer any questions even from newbies who ask basic questions. The answer is always long with technical aspect.

AND.... He is memmber of this forum too, only he does not show up too often.

Give him a try ... At least you save shipping cost if you send local.

--------------------
Winbert

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 09, 2012 11:33 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James...Will you be getting back the colored film on a reel for projection or transferred to a video format? FilmRescue wants to create a B&W negative and then create a positive print by transferring it to a video file. They say that this will result in the best image quality.

--------------------
Janice

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2012 05:50 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice-

No, I'm just getting it processed for projection. Mr. Baumgarten did offer the service of a digital transfer, but I'm not ready to transfer the film yet. Maybe after some editing & after I compile other footage with it, I might consider it.

James.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2012 06:25 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used FilmRescue quite a bit with good results. A couple years ago I sent 2 carts to Martin B. and didn't get them back for 1 1/2 years so my experience with him was not a good one.

I would go with FilmRescue.

Bill [Smile]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 11, 2012 07:24 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Billl...Did you just have your films developed or converted to files? Were they in color? I'd really rather have them in color...but FilmRescue isn't recommending it.

--------------------
Janice

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2012 08:11 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had old carts of Ektachrome developed in color for projection. Some I have shot myself (carts even dating back to the late 70's that I shot a couple years ago, although most from the mid 90's) Some I found in cameras already exposed...just to see what it is. The results have been mixed...some have been very good to barely able to see anything...it is a gamble. I suspect that the stuff that didn't come out so well would have looked better if I had gone the B&W/digital route but I only watch and edit my films the old way...editor and projector. I don't have the tools to do it any other way.

Bill [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC