8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New to this found a box of 30 Super 8's

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New to this found a box of 30 Super 8's
Jeff Cavey
Junior

- posted May 08, 2012 12:02 PM      Profile for Jeff Cavey   Email Jeff Cavey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While cleaning out my grandparents house I found a box of 30 8mm films I think they are all Super 8's but I haven't thoroughly. They were from our local library and my grandpa must have bought them when they stopped loaning them out I'm unsure if I want to keep them or not. I was unable to find any pricing information on the internet at first so I put the silent 1925 Wizard of Oz with Larry Semon and Oliver Hardy on 4 reels on Ebay just to see what happens 6 days ago. Ebay Wizard of Oz
Yesterday I stumbled upon this website and thought maybe someone could give me some advise on the value and weather to hang on to them.

There are 10 Laurel and Hardy's

One Good Turn
Our Wife
Flying Elephants
The Hoosegow
Leave em Laughing
Ten Dollars or Ten Days
From Soup to Nuts
Second Hundred Years
Liberty
Brats

The other ones are

Cops
The Unchanging Sea
The Dentist
A Trip to the Moon
In the Dog House
Buffalo Bill
Balloonatic
Black and Tan
Wireless Lizzie
Popeye Meets Sinbad the Sailor
Soldier Man
Lumieres First Picture Show
Cameos of Comedy
Smile Please
Pride of Pikeville
Frankenstein

And 2 little rascals

Reunion in Rhythm
Anniversary Trouble

Any insight would be greatly appreciated thank you.

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 08, 2012 12:54 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can say in general they are common titles. You can start selling on Ebay. Just fyi, silent prints of sound movies (like your Wizard of Oz) tend to sell cheap, especially these are all ex-library.

--------------------
Winbert

Jeff Cavey
Junior

- posted May 08, 2012 01:21 PM      Profile for Jeff Cavey   Email Jeff Cavey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are there any films I should put into seperate groups other than the Laurel and Hardy and the rest? Also are there any ebay tips. It looks like shipping will be a big cost with them.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 08, 2012 05:04 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just list them individually.

Not everyone is happy to bid in one lot where only few films are of their interest.

You have to mention clearly if film is sound or silent.

--------------------
Winbert

Jeff Cavey
Junior

- posted May 08, 2012 06:10 PM      Profile for Jeff Cavey   Email Jeff Cavey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I can do that it looks like they are all labeled as with sound or silent. Do you think having free shipping for the US and a flat $5 for world wide is good to do, I'm not too experienced with ebay yet either.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 08, 2012 06:16 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In your case, it would be particularly useful if you could view the films as ex-library films can potentially have significantly more wear than any others although you can't be certain. Even if you don't have a projector, close examination of the start of films will give some idea of if they have scratches, splices, etc. You could say "Ex-library films sold as seen" but bids will be lower if buyers think they are taking a chance. If they are in library boxes, I'm afraid that doesn't help the value as original boxes, particularly in good condition, will attract more interest, especially if you have photos/scans on eBay.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted May 08, 2012 06:19 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff

Don't put a flat rate of 5.00 for the rest of the world. Go to USPS.com and check out the international shipped fees and you will see why.

PatD

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 08, 2012 06:32 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ok I can do that it looks like they are all labeled as with sound or silent. Do you think having free shipping for the US and a flat $5 for world wide is good to do, I'm not too experienced with ebay yet either.
It depends on what is your starting price. Say you have $19.99 for a reel, I don;t see any problem to list it as free shipping within US continent and $5 for flat rate worldwide.

Pat, putting the shipping cost is kind of marketing strategy, you can absorb it in selling price. The most important is you know how much is right price (you think) for every item.

Jeff, I can say that for every 400' of your sound film (7 inch diameter reel) will go best to $15 and $9 for silent ones and for the smaller reel (5 inch) will be sold $12 (sound) or $7 (silent).

That is only my prediction.

If you are putting $19.99 free shipping worldwide for a 5 inch reel, there is a big chance someone is interested with your listing because it offers free shipping rather than bidding on starting price $12 but + $12 for shipping cost.

It is a marketing strategy...

--------------------
Winbert

Jeff Cavey
Junior

- posted May 08, 2012 06:47 PM      Profile for Jeff Cavey   Email Jeff Cavey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Adrian The projector that was down in the basement doesn't work and on some of films there is a plain white tape that they wrote the library's name on it I'll be sure to mention it and take pictures of them.

@Pasquale Yea it's a bit high I did a calculate the rate for Spain where it looks like it will probably go in the end and came up with $18 for First Class international mail. The item is up to $30 so far and there is 22 hours left and if it doesn't go up at all I'd only make about $13 with ebay paypal and shipping taken out. I'm with that for the first attempt at selling something on ebay and I don't think I'm going to go $5 for international selling again.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 08, 2012 07:30 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff,

Believe, with that low shipping cost worldwide, it will attract more international buyers.

My prediction it will sell around $70 as long as you commit with that shipping cost.

And many buyers now bid at last minutes before end. So be patient...

[edit] if it is sold less than my prediction,...anyway that is only a prediction...even weathermen can go wrong... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Winbert

Jeff Cavey
Junior

- posted May 08, 2012 08:37 PM      Profile for Jeff Cavey   Email Jeff Cavey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to stick to it, like I said I'm happy with only making $13 at the least [Smile] , It has 169 views and 20 watchers but I don't know how many are actually interested in buying it or just want to see how much it goes for.

Jeff Cavey
Junior

- posted May 09, 2012 05:01 PM      Profile for Jeff Cavey   Email Jeff Cavey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow it ended up selling for $78.88 at the last second

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 09, 2012 06:21 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See what I am saying.....

Honest or cheap shipping cost attracts more buyer.

Good luck!

--------------------
Winbert

Jeff Cavey
Junior

- posted May 09, 2012 11:50 PM      Profile for Jeff Cavey   Email Jeff Cavey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep and the buyer lives in the US so at the end I'll be getting $60+ after the fees. Thank you very much for your advise.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC