8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Ebay - Super 8mm Film Lawrence of Arabia incl Film storage box???????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ebay - Super 8mm Film Lawrence of Arabia incl Film storage box???????
Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2012 02:05 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is quite an oddity. The seller hasn't responded to my emails. It's not super 8, that's for sure.It's 16mm. Whether Lawrence of Arabia is actually on those reels is another question. It's a shame they don't appear to want to ship anywhere. Not even to my end of Australia!
Any thoughts, anyone?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261023368488?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 14, 2012 04:05 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan, don't you have relatives or friend near Geelong?

If this is "Lawrence of Arabica" and the color is not red, obviously the prie is cheap. I would say that the value can be more than $200.

Especially because the seller say can negiote the price upon inspection of the print, I will do my best to get it.

Good luck

--------------------
Winbert

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2012 04:54 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, all my relatives are in the UK!
I have my suspicions the box has just been used to store some other reels. Isn't it likely a film company would have had the same type of reels for one film. They seem a bit random in size too. One reel looks empty! It would help if the seller was answering messages.

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2012 06:22 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I managed to get a few responses and his listing title is now "16mm". From our conversation, he made other changes. I asked about the colour and he told me it looked pink to him and asked what that meant. My hopes are fading for this one now (just like the film)..... Nice container, though!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 15, 2012 01:00 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you can obviously see just from the photos that the film is reddish to be sure and no doubt a pinked out print.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 15, 2012 02:12 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want the print Jonathan,go for it,Carpe Diem,seize the day
or you'll end up kicking yourself on a lost opportunity.The main hurdle is how to get it to you.Do you have private courier in Australia as it's a long trip no doubt?Orcould you do it by using the
nearest train station?

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2012 04:26 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hugh. The seller has now told me he will ship in Australia. It just concerns me how little he knows about the footage. He has agreed to try and photograph some frames aswell.
Hi Osi - yeh, I noticed the pinkness of the film, too.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 15, 2012 07:02 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
It probably is a faded print Jon,but if it's a film you want don't
let that put you off as it can be partially offset by the use of
filters,a blue and yellow together can make it look brilliant.The
film looks complete going by the number of spools.I have bought
a faded print of a much loved film rather than not have it in my
collection.The decision is yours.

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2012 12:41 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hugh,
I've never tried that. I do have 2 pink films on super 8, so might just attempt that method. Did you use camera filters or create something yourself?

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 17, 2012 08:17 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Jon,the method I use is the use of professional Gels,I used
to supply them to collectors some years ago,and I found that by
combining a yellow with a blue it offset the "cold" look and did
rectify a lot of the red bias.The sky has a hint of green but it
is a definate inprovement on the fiery red of a faded print.

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2012 05:27 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't touch that auction with a 50 foot pole - he's talking about using it to judge value and wants to negotiate price outside of the auction?? Violating all sorts of ebay rules there...

In any case, it's a faded, most likely flat, 16mm print of Lawrence...

@Winbert -- an IB Tech/Scope print of this would likely sell between $3000-$5000, not $200..

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2012 01:44 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, i've let this one go since I saw the close ups.
Thanks for the info guys.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC