8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Filming scope on a Quarz

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Filming scope on a Quarz
Harrison Bradley
Junior

- posted May 16, 2012 07:17 AM      Profile for Harrison Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a Quarz 1 x 8S-2 and I've seen that it's possible to film super 8 anamorphic films. Besides a scope projection lens, what adapters do I need to attach it to the camera?

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 16, 2012 07:21 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Duck tape...??? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Winbert

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 16, 2012 08:06 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Harrison,it should be possible to buy what is known as
"stepping rings"from your local camera shop.These are threaded
on the outside and inside to allow your lens to fit your camera lens.
I was fortunate that my late father machined all mine for me.

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2012 03:32 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The drawback of not having a set of parallel rails and a mounting ring to hold the 'scope lens separately in front is that when you focus your camera, the scope lens will rotate with it, creating all kinds of optical weirdness. You'll be rotating the 'scope effect in a circle, basically.

You'd have to set focus on your primary lens on the camera and then attach, level it so the horizontal scope image is correct (and focus) the scope lens on your lens after you attach it.

It's work but it can be done. If I misunderstood anything in your post, please let me know [Smile]

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 16, 2012 03:41 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
If his camera is TTL then obviously he can see when his lens needs
adjusting, and also if his anamorphic needs to be refocused.

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2012 04:56 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not saying he can't see it, just that this is what will happen when you attach the 'scope lens directly to the camera's own lens. It's a bit labor intensive compared to a separate ring mount for the anamorph.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Harrison Bradley
Junior

- posted May 16, 2012 05:06 PM      Profile for Harrison Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the lens on the Quarz comes out, leaving just a C-Mount. But it has a 12mm prime lens built into the camera that is pre-focused to about a meter to infinity. Also it is is TTl. At the bottom of This page was an example of a set up on this camera, I just wasn't sure how to attach a Scope projection lens to the camera.

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2012 07:23 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent! The Quartz then is very 'scope friendly, making it easier to bolt the anamorph onto it.

Let us know how it goes, and if you put up any samples on YouTube or elsewhere.

Claus.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC