8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » DeJur 1000 or B&H Regent 122L??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DeJur 1000 or B&H Regent 122L??
Dennis Brown
Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2012 10:50 PM      Profile for Dennis Brown   Email Dennis Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have my Dads DeJur 1000 and my Grandfathers Bell & Howell Regent 122L.

I am a novice on 8mm's so asking the Board which is the better unit to keep?

Seems like both have bulbs about $30 DAR for the B&H DDB/DFD for the DeJur.

Just asking opinions, as both work, with the DeJur seeming a bit higher quality and a bit more controls.

--------------------
Dennis Brown

|  IP: Logged

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2012 04:21 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dennis

They sound interesting projectors but without some pics posted up here we can't offer you much advice or help.

dogtor frankarnstein

[Confused] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Dennis Brown
Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2012 01:15 PM      Profile for Dennis Brown   Email Dennis Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I seem to have some difficulty trying to upload pictures of the projectors.
Perhaps just search on B&H 122L and DeJur 1000 to see what they look like?
I was just looking for comments on which one to keep, which one to sell.

--------------------
Dennis Brown

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 20, 2012 07:06 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis

The DeJur 1000 is not known in the UK so I can't comment on this model, although I see it looks very much like the Bell & Howell.

The Bell & Howell Regent 122L is known here as the Bell & Howell 606H. I have one and it's a great little standard 8 projector. It replaced the model 606 which just had the one switch but the 606H has separate switches for motor and lamp. The 606 hails from 1947 and the 606H from a few years later.

As you have already found out the lamps are very expensive (if you can find one), they have been obsolete for many years. The supply voltage here in the UK is 230 volts so finding these lamps is even more difficult.

I did track down a supply a few years ago and they were about £30 UKP each but the seller sold me three for £75 UKP, around $115. I notice that Don's Bulbs in the US is charging $102 each.

I see you are after an adapter to use a cheaper bulb, as mentioned by Don's Bulbs. Why don't you contact them to ask if they have any ideas how to locate one?

As for keeping one of the two projectora I can't offer you any advice other than say I love my 606H.

--------------------
Maurice

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted May 20, 2012 08:11 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis

The only info I can DeJur runs quieter than the B&H. At least in my experience. [Confused]

PatD

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2012 09:03 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both are decent projectors. Lamps can be bought on Ebay relatively cheap. I don't recall which lenses are on them, but you might make your decision based on the brightest lens.

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2012 09:46 AM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DAR bulb is very hard to find. I have a few DAR bulbs that I treasure for my B&H Regent Projector because I don't know if I'll find any more DAR bulbs under 30 dollars a piece. It's best to use a projector that you can get replacement bulbs for at a reasonable cost like a Bolex projector.

Dennis Brown
Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2012 03:07 PM      Profile for Dennis Brown   Email Dennis Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I do not know if the forum will allow this but here are links to the DeJur: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqV9-K7jp3M
and B&H http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLRoxElfvvc to show the differences.

On that website that discusses the adapter, it says to only email him if you are buying something. I guess I can try asking, and would buy a cheaper bulb if he could tell me where to get an adapter.
UPDATE: Dons bulbs has the adapter, but it costs $200

BTW, have the B&H running, DeJur is still in storage. I had received a request from a cousin to look for a film of my dad’s from 1955 when we last visited them. So had to get one projector running.

Maurice Leakey, you are correct, the B&H 606 is very close to the 122L. The 122 has two switches and does not appear to have the ability to change voltage or replace the brush for the motor. There is a switch that says something about "DC" direct current, but I am not going to fool with that. Actually Maurice, I found a free manual for the 606 here:http://static.cineinformation.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Bell-Howell-Projector-Model-606-606M-User-Manual.pdf

Any comments? Just did not realize the bulbs got so dang expensive. An adapter seems the way to go but at the cost of $200 might be easier to buy a different projector.

[ May 21, 2012, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: Dennis Brown ]

--------------------
Dennis Brown

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC