8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New to film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New to film
Rob Jauquet
Junior

- posted May 18, 2012 08:27 PM      Profile for Rob Jauquet   Email Rob Jauquet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone.

I just started collecting Super 8 films, and was wondering if anyone might have a suggestion for a lower end projector I could start off with. I've found a few on craigslist but they are almost always missing a part or don't have sound. Is there a certain model with sound that wouldn't be terribly expensive and might still be easy to locate? Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask questions. I'm obviously new to the forum.

Thanks for your help,
Rob

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 18, 2012 08:56 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Rob, welcome to the forum.

Here is some less expensive sound projectors:

Chinon 330 MV
GAF
Titan
Minolta
Hanimex

Avoid some old projectors like Bell & Howell that are also cheap but the bulb is not (it will be almost $30 for a bulb that last only 15 hours).

Go with the projector that is using halogen type bulb (code: EFR or EFP) which we can buy for around $5 each

--------------------
Winbert

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2012 10:00 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A forum member that actually lives pretty close to me [Smile]

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 19, 2012 02:40 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rob
I would recommend an early Elmo ST1200. Its basic but a very reliable projector with 1200ft capacity and a 150 watt lamp, also its easy to clean the gate and film path.
 -

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 19, 2012 03:03 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Graham. I have one of those and it's a very reliable piece of work.

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2012 03:05 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you hurry, Pat is selling an ST-1200 on ebaY. The bids are still manageable.

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2012 03:51 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have the same one ST1200 it's my mercedes,i have never had a projector as this one!!!so go for it--------> [Razz] [Razz]

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

Rob Jauquet
Junior

- posted May 19, 2012 05:56 AM      Profile for Rob Jauquet   Email Rob Jauquet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys, this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Most of the projectors I'd found so far were all Bell & Howell.

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2012 06:30 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forum, Rob!

I'd advice you to stick with the ELMOs, they are sturdy, well-built and run like clockwork! I own two of them and would love to have a third!

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Rob Jauquet
Junior

- posted May 19, 2012 06:42 AM      Profile for Rob Jauquet   Email Rob Jauquet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, this seems like quite the community!

Is Ebay the best place to look?

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2012 07:01 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd contact John Capazzo or Pat d'Alessio first, both members of this forum with ST1200s for sale as we speak.

You should find them both in the "8mm Equipment for Sale" section [Smile]

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 19, 2012 07:03 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Rob and welcome,sound advice for your projector needs.
The ELMO ST1200 is a workman like machine that should give
you years of service,even better if you have one with mag/opt
snd,the main drawback with them,and it's a very important one,
if you give them a lot of use,the plastig guides tend to wear and
mark films.This can be overcome by the fitting of rollers at
strategic points either by yourself or someone on the forum.
Other than that they are a showmans machine and very good
if you need to add soundtracks yourself.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 19, 2012 08:55 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Friends, Rob starting his post with
quote:
I just started collecting Super 8 films, and was wondering if anyone might have a suggestion for a lower end projector I could start off with.
I am afraid Elmo ST-1200 is not a lower end one.

Rob, ST-1200 will go roughly between $120 to $250. Is this the budget you have?

If your budget is less than you need to focus to a really lower end projector as I mentioned above. Later you can upgrade.

In the North America, Bell & Howell and Kodak were the most popular brands so no wonder you could find easily. But as I said, the bulb is expensive.

Good luck,

--------------------
Winbert

Rob Jauquet
Junior

- posted May 19, 2012 10:27 AM      Profile for Rob Jauquet   Email Rob Jauquet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to shoot for around $100 if I was semi sure the projector would last a while. If I buy a cheap projector at $30, and then have to spend that much again to replace the bulb I'd rather just spend a little more upfront. Thanks to everyone's input I think I will try and see if I can get a good deal on an ELMO somewhere. I'm not in any hurry to buy anything; do they ever sell for under $200?

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 19, 2012 12:41 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rob you do see the odd nice Elmo St600, St160 or St180, in mintie little used order go for around $100,all basically the same machine ( the 160 is single track ) and are a lower end Elmo but still retain many of the good qualities, like swing open gate, very reliable and will take a nice more light and bigger picture 1.1 lens when you have the cash in the future.

They do also tend to be more ready and willing out of the box as there are odd things to watch for on the 1200, like the rubber on the shutter outside goo-ing on some that have it, and also the main rubber drive wheel does as well( hard to get now )

The Elmo 600 feet machines I mentioned avoid these issues and of course are a bit cheaper. 100 watt lamp but a xenophot bulb in is whiter and like 120watt and more than useable.

Best Mark.

A nice one, though maybe a little pricey to give you an idea, very nice machines to use and very straight forward to keep going well etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elmo-ST-600-2-Track-8mm-Sound-Projector-Like-New-with-all-Packing-/150817896590?pt=US_Movie_Slide_Projectors&hash=item231d72788e

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2012 03:39 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rob, Hugh touched on it, but I think you should be aware that some "lower end", lower cost projectors may run perfectly, but can ruin an expensive film with scratches. It's just the way some of these machines were manufactured.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2012 06:08 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had half a dozen or so Eumig 800 series projectors and have been extremely happy with them. They've always worked well for me and they are gentle on film. It's nice because Eumig's are one of the few companies that manufactured dual sound 8mm projectors. So you would be able to play either standard 8mm or Super 8 sound or no sound.

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 19, 2012 07:20 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Zechariah,here in the UK, we had a journalist who christened
the manufacturers of Eumig "The Wizards of Vienna" because
of their immense contribution to 8mm film making etc,I agree
entirely that their projectors perform that primary function of
showing your films,for years without the least harm to your prints,
unlike some machines that give the impression all your films were
in need of a fresh set of sprocket holes and matching scratches.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 19, 2012 08:54 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob, projectors will wear out no matters what brand they are. There are several thibgs going to wear e.g belt, gears, bulb and some electric components (those blue round look like a tank what do you call?)

With $100 (apart from postage that usually goes $25-40 within the states) you can get actually a ST-1200 with minor problems.

I once bought from Ebay For $80 whih was said to be non working machine that apparently was only belt problem that cost me $25 to order the new ones.

But that will be a rare occassion, but who knows? Otherwise go to Eumig (low series) that is a good brand but not really sought after (hence price drop). It can start from 6xx to 8xx that can rangr from $25 (not working) to $75.

The oyher benefit of Eumig is lighter than any other brands hence save you the shipping cost plus Eumig does not use belts to run the machine so no worry on that issue. most Eumig use halogen type lamp (EFP) which is brighter, last longer and much cheaper than any old bulb used by Bell & Howel.

Good luck

--------------------
Winbert

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 20, 2012 02:52 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob

Very few people would buy a second-hand motor car without a test drive, yet they often buy from the Net, such as eBay, completely blind of what they are getting.

A large number of sellers have no real interest in what they are selling. Comments such as "belonged to my late father who used it for showing movies of me when I was young" translates to the fact that the projector is probably thirty to forty years old and not used for many years. "Found this in the loft during clearing for a move" means that the projector has suffered very high summer temperatures which has made the drive belts fragile and dried up the lubrication.

I see that the town in which you live has a population of 104,000 so there must be a few people in and around your locality who might have a projector that they would be wiiling to sell. This way you could see it working before committing yourself to handing over your dollars. Why not advertise in the Wants column of the Green Bay Press Gazette?

Buying old projectors is like walking through a mine-field, but don't get me wrong, it is a splendid hobby and I am very lucky to have a service engineer two hours or so away by road who keeps all my many projectors in full working order.

Best of luck to you.

--------------------
Maurice

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 20, 2012 06:08 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why not advertise in the Wants column of the Green Bay Press Gazette?
Maurice, as has been indicated by Rob and also proven by my own eyes, most projectors offered in garage sales or thrift stores in the North America were Bell and Howell. I strongly advise not to buy this because the cost of bulb is expensive while it is less brighter (although much higher wattage), shorter life and hard to get.

When giving an advise I usually look at the background of the people who were asking. Because Rob has indicated he was new to this hobby and had only a $100 budget for the initial, I could surely believe he did not have (or willing to buy at this time) those expensive Derann releases which would go usually from $150/each.

So he would start from the usual Ken Films or Columbia.

In this basis, no need to warn him about possibility the projector will wear those expensive films.

All of us start this hobby from scratch, hence, Rob must too.

So Rob, your first statement to buy low-end projector was already correct. You will see this what sort of hobby and how far is your desire with it.

Once you think that this hobby is your game, you can always upgrade for a better projector one and sell the low-end for the same price (or even more).

You will never loose your money with re-selling the projector because this hobby is growing.

Recently at Ebay I just sold a (low-end) Sankyo 501 which has been indicated to be non-working for $100 and (a medium class) Elmo ST-800 for $150 while I bought this for much less from that only because I provide with details, photos and videos. But many sellers are too lazy to provide those details and photos, resulting less bidder, hence sold for low price.

Maurice has made a strong point that you never know the condition of the projector. But most of the problem is belt or burnt lamp.

Again....if you cannot find locally then go to Ebay.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 21, 2012 04:57 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This picture says it all [Wink]
 -
[Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC