8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GRRRRR ... acetate!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GRRRRR ... acetate!
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 19, 2012 01:14 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must say, this acetate stock worries me more and more ...

Of course, I don't expect it to flame up anytime soon, (like that one PM recently made shows), but I have a brand new print from that German film lab, on Acetate stock, (and yes, it sadly has that yellowish cast to it) ...

but I was rewinding the damned print, the film got a little tangled, and just barely at that ...

and the danged print snapped, creating a need to splice it!!!!

Now, from what I understand, this acetate that was used is a little aged before being printed, but it really does worry me that ...

... if this acetate film has this much of a tendecy to snap, when I have just gotten it, even if it does have really great color, what is the chance that it will be even more brittle lets say, ten years down the line?!

Sure, I can lubricate the film, and that will help, but it really irritates me. I mean, even to buy a brand new short these days, well, your looking to spend around 60 or more dollars. I can't imagine the price of your average new features coming out!

I do know that when GIOSI Films new release comes out (yes, I have a new release nearly worked out!), I will absolutely insist that the lab uses the more expensive but more long lasting and apparantly durable, Kodak Vision stock!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 21, 2012 04:49 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes acetate can break, but with care "hand winders" it should be ok, were you using the projector to rewind film?

Graham.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 21, 2012 04:55 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Drink is a terrible thig Osi.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC