8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Thunderbirds

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thunderbirds
Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2012 01:39 PM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was in one of my local charity shops today,and in the locked cabinet was a boxed film with lady penelope on the front cover,when I opened it there was a 50 ft b/w std 8 silent film reel,the leader was missing the asking price was a cool £17.50.

Now my question is "did I pass on a good deal?"

--------------------
Let there be light,so god created the projector

|  IP: Logged

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2012 02:33 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tommy. For some obscure reason thes prints fetch a high asking price. I know the one you mean and going back to the late 60's these arrow extracts where sold for about £1.00 B&W and I think abourt the £2.00 for colour. I had this extract on Standard 8 in colour and with the simple projector I had the print was very good. It is a extract from the first Thunderbird episode call Trapped in the sky. There was varioys other one's released. At the time the colour print was classed as quite expensive. The £1`7.50 for a B&W 50ft episode in my opion is a bit high. I may be wrong. Personally I would go for the colour version. It may be possible to add souind from the Thunderbird box set on DVD. I do not see the high price myself, but thet seem to go at these levels on e-bay. I sold my copy many years ago. But that was my early days of film collecting and I was comparing this with what was available at the time. At the time I thought it was a great extract.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 16, 2012 02:38 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
It's only a good deal if you really want it Tommy.Personally I think
£17.00 for 50' of film is rather cheeky.especially b/w slt.

Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2012 03:53 PM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was my thoughts Hugh

--------------------

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2012 04:53 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow-

£17.00 at a charity shop?? I'm really surprised that they were asking that much. Anytime I come across a film at a chrity/thrift shop over here in the U.S., its always dirt-cheap!

Thats interesting that a charity shop would sell an item like that for so much. Just like record albums/LP's usually go for about a buck, regardless of its "rare-ness" or collectability.

James.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted June 16, 2012 07:14 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The shop appears to know that it's worth more than a pound or two, but I'd agree that it's expensive. Even if the box is in good condition and no frames of the actual film are missing, I think around £5-6 would be more reasonable. A colour one would obviously be worth more, especially as they are apparently Technicolor. Phil Sheard once told me that there's a 200' version that was released in col/snd - possibly on Super 8. If he's right, it's seems exceptionally rare. If that turned up in a charity shop for £17.50, it would be a bargain!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2012 08:10 AM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi James
Unfortunately,charity/thrift shops over here employ people to research the value of almost everything they sell,where I live these stores are quite expensive to shop in,and rising!!!!

As an example,I wanted a hip flask,I found a nice one in an OXFAM shop,their asking price was £24.99,I passed on it,2 months later I saw the exact same one in a jewellers shop in Edinburgh for £19.99 brand new!!

The mind boggles at times

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 17, 2012 09:11 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A bit OOT, about THRIFT STORES we have several here like Value Village, Salvos, etc. Nowaday, shopping in this kind of stores no longer a pleasure for us collectors because they have sorted the items.

See to LP selection, they are all Classics, Paul Mauriat, POCO, ABBA, Nana mouskari and sort of. Where are Pink Floyd, Stones, BEATLES, etc?

All toys are made in China. Electronics are junk....

They value the item based on online auction and forgot that we also have that access to online auction.

Now I only love to see garage sale or sunday market.... Bargain is there [Smile]

--------------------
Winbert

Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2012 09:34 AM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert
That is my experience too

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC