8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » PLEASE WILL THE LAST PROJECTIONIST TURN OFF THE LIGHTS (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: PLEASE WILL THE LAST PROJECTIONIST TURN OFF THE LIGHTS
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 26, 2012 03:33 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All a bit of a downer this little digital lot, but thank goodness we can continue to screen reel film at home or out and about. Nothing quite like the clatter of a movie projector and a film winding its way through a mechanism.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 26, 2012 11:29 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read an article in the paper last week that said that even digital camera sales are now in a severe decline. Apparently most people now prefer to use cell phone cameras, and even though the quality is abysmal compared to a real digital still/movie camera, they dont care, convenience being everything. So we have gone from 35mm film to digital cameras to cell phone cameras.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Desmond Godwin
Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2012 02:28 PM      Profile for Desmond Godwin   Author's Homepage   Email Desmond Godwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All a bit of a downer this little digital lot, but thank goodness we can continue to screen reel film at home or out and about. Nothing quite like the clatter of a movie projector and a film winding its way through a mechanism
Perfectly described Lee, Im with you on this one..

[Smile] Desmond

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2012 04:13 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Desmond, and Hugh, I'm with you and Lee LONG LIVE FILM!!!!
quote:
Brad,don't try to kid us digital costs more,the whole
argument of the pro digital boys has been the cost of 35mm
film prints.

It is a known fact that films are shot mostly digitally now because film is not cheap. A photo of the Mona Lisa will never be worth more then the real painting . And digital films and computers get sold at yardsales dirt cheap these days. Only films become more valued as they grow in age.
Yeah in the future we will have movies down loaded in our heads. I saw a OuterLimits once that every one was wired to the stream and no one could do anything for themselves. The stream got a virus and that was it every one was helpless. Except this one guy who was normal and was not wired because of a birth deffect, He ended up saving the whole digital world because he could still think. Then there was another story about the last big war and there was no more power and this guy wanted to see movies show the world , and he took an old projector and wired it up to a old surving
bicycle and peddled the film reels around to show the movie to a camp of people. He even used a candle in a lamp with mirrors to project the light. Try doing that with a digital hard drive?
What will happen in the future we can only guess???????????

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 26, 2012 06:04 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
You're not wrong there Laksmi,what I'm waiting for,and it will
happen,is when they attempt to screen the big film and things
start to go wrong with the little codes etc which means no movie.
I can imagine some audiences won't take it too well and will
probably wreck the auditorium or cinema as it used to be called.
I suggest they keep a copy of the "Kaiser Chiefs" number handy
"I Predict A Riot".The fun is about to begin.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2012 06:25 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just thinking if all of the sudden we no longer had electricity I could take my hand held viewer with a 50' reel outside, point it at the sun and still watch my movies!

I guess that is why I love film because it is something I can hold in my hand...it is real.

I understand that digital is the new way and I can't change that and that's OK. I don't have to like it. And I don't.

Bill [Smile]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 26, 2012 06:33 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can get the dvd of "The Men Behind The Movies" Reel Four, disc two has an excellent documentry from 1949 on all aspects of running a large cinema. I managed to get a copy from Derann long ago, its well worth getting.

Here are a couple of photos from the past you might find of interest.
 -

-
Look at how smart those projectionists are dressed, shoes polished etc.

Graham.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 26, 2012 06:45 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great pics Graham and very nostalgic for an age when people knew how to dress for work. Why do I keep getting the feeling that the best of, not only the cinema, but also just about every aspect of modern life, is now far behind us! [Frown]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 26, 2012 06:55 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Well at the end of the shift boy's,there's still our intrepid little
band thats getting bigger all the time,by younger people,so that
proves we're not alone............there is intelligent life out there.

Desmond Godwin
Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2012 07:17 PM      Profile for Desmond Godwin   Author's Homepage   Email Desmond Godwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WoW they are great pics Graham. 35mm carbon arc projectors. Those guys look busy and that equipment of the day would certainly have kept them on their toes. I only had an opportunity once to see a carbon arc 35mm projector.We had been working on the premises disconnecting the electricity supply and removing the metering. I wanted to set-up home in that projector booth,but sadly a few days later the building\cinema was demolished... [Frown]

Desmond

[ June 27, 2012, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Desmond Godwin ]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 27, 2012 05:41 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
That's very true Paul,change and modernisation isn't always for
the good.On the subject of dress,I remember when I was
apprenticed in the building trade,some of the older gents all
wore collar and tie to work.Nice dress I suppose gives an air of
confidence and authority.In the cinema projection room,it would
be mandatory to be clean and presentable as the conditions
would be very clean and dust free.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 27, 2012 11:27 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if the legendary Graumanns Chinese Theater on Hollywood Boulevard has now gone digital. I certainly hope not.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2012 12:11 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Bill I want one can I put a 200" reel on it?
quote:
was just thinking if all of the sudden we no longer had electricity I could take my hand held viewer with a 50' reel outside, point it at the sun and still watch my movies!

WHERE CAN I BUY THIS HAND HELD VIEWER? Whats the brand name and name? I will google it and see eBay for it.

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2012 03:33 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Laksmi. Those hand held viewers that I have experienced over here in england where called under the name of Ajax and best be avoided due to the scratching of film and the limited 50 foot replay. This inclides the toy projectors you see on e-bay a not good choice unless you want very scrached film. Best stick to the named projectors you can trust because there are some real shredding machines out there.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2012 05:40 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Colin...yes you are correct as they are not very good to film after repeated viewings.

Laksmi...Melton viewer from the 50's. Castle put out special 50' reels made just for this unit but it did not take off like they expected. I have it just for the novelty and it only takes 50' reels.

But...my comments about using the viewer were meant to convey the point that film is real and I could still watch my movies when everything else fails...as long as the sun is in the sky....

Bill [Smile]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 28, 2012 05:51 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like a cue for a song Bill.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2012 06:04 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi or Mr. O'Regan...where are you!

Bill [Big Grin]

Desmond Godwin
Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2012 02:56 PM      Profile for Desmond Godwin   Author's Homepage   Email Desmond Godwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That sounds like a cue for a song Bill
[Smile] [Smile] Desmond...

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2012 01:26 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Bill and Colin I had a toy projector that you would put a 50 reel on and crank with a batterie for the light it was nice and I would love to have that as a novelty.

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 11, 2012 03:02 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little reminder they are projecting the film at STOCKPORT PLAZA CINEMA Friday 13th July 2:30PM and I understand it will be a 35mm film print they are using.

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2012 12:20 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if "The Last Projectionist" will be available on DVD!!
I do agree with the majority of comments made. I fear this move to digital will mean the end for the independent cinema owner because of the cost of the installation and the cost of continous upgrading at short intervals. There is also the question of archiving. The permanence of the digital image is unknown and the format is constantly changing as amateur movie makers have discovered. There will shortly be no choice but to use a digital format, only to find that there is the added expense of having to change it again after increasingly short periods of time. At present, film production companies have large archives of films to call upon to increase profits by making them available on whatever is the latest domestic digital format but how will they be able to do this in the future? Thousands of silent films were lost forever when studios dumped their archives when sond began and more were lost to silver reclamation of more recent years. Look at the recent history of the camcorder formats. I have had to replace my camcorder 3 times since using video and if I have to change the current one it will be a different format again as mini DV is now obsolete and the analogue formats are long gone. My Pathe Lido camera works just as well now as the day I bought it. Unfortunately the cost of film and the processing is now beyond my means. Hey ho, thats "progress" I suppose, or is it really. It seems to me these days that profits for shareholders is more important than anything else these days. I am getting cynical in my old age. Ken Finch,

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 16, 2012 08:09 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we both took some time out to go and see the film and made a day of it. As usual the presentation at The Plaza Cinema was exceptional and the Compton theatre organ played for us twice. They started the programme with a Pathe newsreel followed by a short film I have never seen before title ‘Short Circuit’ which I guess dates from the late 70’s. It followed a chap who had lots of old film posters around his house and loved going to the movies, unfortunately when he set off for the cinema every one he went to was boarded up or closed down. A nicely made short film this and one we hope to see again sometime.

Ah yes, The Last Projectionist’ nearly forgot that. Well, we felt it was all a bit unfinished really. It was good to see Les Castree in it who many will have seen over here but the film was just a little disappointing although parts of it were interesting to us as film projectionists come cinema enthusiasts. It would have been nice to have heard more about the old equipment perhaps, and my guess is that like me you will have seen many amateur cine films which have charted the cinemas rise and fall over the years already, so other than the fact this doc kept on a bout digital killing film nothing much new for me anyway. It was nice to see and hear the old stories and see old pictures but these were a little sparse. They also went on to explain Imax on film was about dead and Dig Imax had arrived. Still, it was a good day out and the Plaza Cinema did a grand job.
 -

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC