8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo TRV super8 sound projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo TRV super8 sound projector
Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2012 02:57 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello I may have a chance to pick up one of these for 650.00 have any of you used these what should I look for when buying any hidden problems? thanks

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 08, 2012 11:15 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim why you need to bother buying this old transfer machine?

This is just like you are buying a super hi-end VHS player in BluRay era or buying a U-matic broadcast camera in today HD camera era. No point to have that unless you want to collect as a part of history. Those machines were indeed sold quite expensive in their years but technology has changed and with far less money we can get much better result.

I don't thing the result made by this TRV will be any better than those transferred with a recent HD camera. Not to mention that today's transfer is done by scanning frame by frame.

my 2 cents.

--------------------
Winbert

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2012 06:40 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
winbert thanks for your input i saw this item and have always wanted one to tinker with, believe it or not i still use a vcr to record but have up to date items a well the trv is from a transfer place and was used and still works from what ive been told but has some small defects.you may have just talked me out of this [Smile] and for any other forum members out there, there is a place in california that repairs these if you want a 480 resolution camera installed instead of the 240 they can do that.

--------------------
jim schrader

Desmond Godwin
Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2012 08:25 AM      Profile for Desmond Godwin   Author's Homepage   Email Desmond Godwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim, I thought i was the only person on the Forum still using a VCR for recording and archiving,so im happy to hear you are using one. The Elmo TVR8 chip would only have about 240 lines of resolution which is the average for standard VHS. The machine also has on board colour correction and although its basic it can correct color fade.The machine would be rare by now and would be a collector's item. For me its always great to own a piece of 8mm equipment that belongs to the era when 8mm was king! If i see something for my beloved hobby that i really want and i can afford it the 'bug' bites.. and it becomes a 'must have'. For years i was looking out for a Fuji SH30 projector and 2weeks ago i spotted one for sale. It needs some attention but WoW am i a happy man to own one. [Smile] The link below will show you a demo of the TVR8 in action.

[Smile] Desmond

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=aOKW6uUoOZE

[ July 09, 2012, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: Desmond Godwin ]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 09, 2012 09:11 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim,

Here is the youtube link showing the latest frame by frame transfer is done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=Xy3gGOXdEFQ&NR=1

Are you planning to transfer your films or just want to have this TRV machine?

If you are planning to do transfer, our forum member, Janice Glesser bought Moviestuff Workprinter which she said cost her less than $1000.

Here is her thread:

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006945

But if you want to do an economical way (taking into account you have already an SLR camera), here is my post:

The best (and economical) method in transferring 8mm films

The result is amazing, although it uses an old Eumig projector:

http://vimeo.com/20900718

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2012 12:10 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it would be neat to have I was thinking of tranfering some films just to see how they looked but it might be an expensive door stop if it goes bad they are expensive to repair.

--------------------
jim schrader

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2012 01:08 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim and Desmond, I still have 3 VCR's and use them regularly. Even when I do transfers I use high-end videotape.

Bill [Smile]

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2012 09:32 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I picked this unit up today it came from a respected place that did transfers and it was serviced regularly, every year it was sent in to have a go over so I know it was taken care of and the best thing is I talked her down to 400. for it. I tried it today with a little rascals film and recorded it on my dvd recorder with a digital tuner built in and it looked pretty good. A great piece of history.

--------------------
jim schrader

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC