8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » SAD NEWS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SAD NEWS
Ian O'Reilly
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2012 07:09 AM      Profile for Ian O'Reilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just heard that Larry Pearce of LGP Cine sadly passed away last night, condolences to Shirley and family at this sad time.

|  IP: Logged

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 11, 2012 07:50 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really saddened to hear the news Ian and he was stalwart supporter of film. It was Larry who helped me most so many years ago in the 70’s with 9-5 and beyond and a gentleman I owe much to for all his help over the years. Larry was one of those guys who I will remember as one of the greatest devotees to all the sub standard film gauges and a delight to chat to. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and Shirley.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 11, 2012 08:22 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sad news indeed,and our condolencies to the Family at this
very sad time.Rest in Peace Larry.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2012 08:26 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is sad news indeed. Larry was a gentleman of the 'old school'.
Bought many bits and pieces from him over the years through mail, Ealing BFCC and the shop he shared in Rayners Lane.
My condolences to his family

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 11, 2012 11:10 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very sorry to hear this sad news. I didn't know Larry beyond making occasional purchases, but what a great contribution he made to the hobby, via all the miscellaneous supplies he offered as well as films. Any business by post could not have been faster. I recall one occasion when I 'phoned to ask if he could supply several small Std 8 spools, and he very kindly posted them off immediately and simply asked me to reimburse him for the postage.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2012 11:21 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad to hear this news. [Frown]

-

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2012 01:32 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sad to hear, as I have purchased from him over the years, and have bought many of his old personal copies of the various film journals...

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2012 08:02 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is such sad news. I first met Larry in the mid 70's at his old shop in Ealing Road. He was so helpful, friendly and always had the time to help you out with any "home cine" related issue. In fact I think that I spent most of my free time and spare cash in either Larry's shop or with Keith Perry in his old shop Wimbledon. I shall miss his wonderful sense of humour, in fact my fondest memories of this hobby are being in the huge new premises in Rayners Lane where LGP Cine and Perry's Movies jointly traded, laughing and joking with Ian, Arthur and Larry. Others have already said what a true Gentleman Larry was but he was also an inspiration to us (then) young film collectors who were just starting out in this wonderful hobby. He was an honest and fair dealer and a really nice man. RIP Larry, all of us who knew you will miss you greatly.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 12, 2012 10:45 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone remember the bags of optical snd airline advert
reels that Larry was selling for £10.00 for 10 in a bag.All flat
wound,some were 200' in length, and were the Marlboro type
ads.A very warm man and I've had some nice films from him over
the years,he even tried to keep std 8 film makers supllied with
reperforated stock,a dyed in the wool film man,God Rest him.

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2012 10:00 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sad news; I bought my very first Super 8 sound projector (a Eumig S912GL) from Larry back in 1995. He was a gentleman always conducting his business with customer satisfaction coming first.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 13, 2012 10:05 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A sad news indeed especially for those who knew him in person.

I myself just know him after reading this post. I believe Larry was not with the internet. So hod did you guys who live outside UK ordered something from LGP?

--------------------
Winbert

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2012 02:56 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sad news. Have known him for many years since I started colecting in the late 60's. Have had many films from him over the years at the Rayners Lane shop and from his personal address. I bought many a film leader and striped black leader from him at the conventions. A real gentleman and a sad loss to our interest in film. My thoughts are with his family and may God give him eternal peace.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2012 03:52 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sad news. He was the best source for leaders of all gauges even striped leaders. He was always very friendly and a joy to talk to at the BFCC.

Graham S

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2012 04:23 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad news indeed.

Larry was a true gent with a passion for film who knew his subject inside and out, he'll be sadly missed by us all in the film community.

My condolences to his family and friends, and my thoughts go out to you too Ian having worked alongside him for so long.

Best regards,
Rick

[ July 14, 2012, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: Ricky Daniels ]

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2012 12:53 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is very sad news indeed to hear that Larry has now gone. He really was a "gentleman of the old School"as someone else has said. I have known him since 1962 as he was one of the "founding Fathers" of Group 9.5. He will be sadly missed by many of the members. He was the key figure to ensure the continuation of 9.5mm film and equipment, the original reason for forming Group 9.5, when Great Universal Stores decided to desert the gauge, although they continued to use the Pathescope name for binoculars, an 8mm projector and other optical related items for a number of years. Larry jumped in with both feet and we owe a great debt of gratitude to him and Shirley for all he did for the amateur cine enthusiast. Were it not for his efforts 9.5mm would be long gone. I remember him as a rather quiet gentle man, with an equally quiet sense of humour. Nothing was too much bother for him. My sincere condolences go out to Shirley and the family. Ken Finch.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC