8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Why dont Eumig's scratch? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Why dont Eumig's scratch?
Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2012 07:10 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There have been many comments over the years from Eumig owners that their machines do not scratch film and I would like to delve into it deeper. Well IMO every projector can scratch film and Eumigs and Sankyos are no different. As I see it, the problem with Eumigs is that they have a smaller gate picture than say Elmos so your Eumig could be scratching on the extreme left and right edges but you may not see it until you run that same film through another machine.

We all know why Elmo's scratch (the green guides, black tensioner etc.) But I like to hear from Eumig (and Sankyo) users as to why the Eumig (and Sankyo) film path is so much better. All these machines have rollers, pressure pads, plastic guides. Are the rollers a better design than the Elmo and are they made from a better material? What about the film path guide used on the Eumig? What did Eumig do right that Elmo should have done?

As for myself I mainly use Elmo's. I have a few dual guage Eumigs but dont use them much and a 926GL stereo but I dont like the dual core reel design so dont use it that often.

Your thoughts please.

Graham S

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 22, 2012 08:06 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham,
I have heard that statement before about not being able to see Eumig scratches because the Eumig aperture is just smaller than the Elmo aperture, but I do not believe it. I run my films on both Eumigs and Elmos and the only scratches that I have on my prints are quite definately Elmo induced. Eumigs do not induce deep green scratches 1/4 of the way into the right of the picture -that is a distinct Elmo characteristic.
Its hard to understand exactly why Elmos scratch and Eumigs don't, and I want pretend to have the answer but here are a few thoughts of mine for what its worth:

The Elmo's have that little black flapping film tensioner below the sound head, which their designers must have found out was necessary to smooth out the inconsistent and varying tension from the take up spool which causes WOW. This tensioner eventually develops grooves in its surface that can scratch film. Eumigs have no such feature, as it is not necessary on their machines which have much bigger sound capstans and pressure rollers which really clamp the film very firmly compared to the very small diameter Elmo capsan.
The film path on Elmos goes through two tight reversal loops before entering the sound head, whereas Eumigs just have a single gentle turn. The loop reversals on the Elmo necessitate an additional pressure roller at the input of the sound head, which pushes the film down onto a metal guide which can wear and scratch film.
Also the top feed sprocket on the Eumigs has a much more relaxed bend for the film, and does not force the film tightly against the plastic film channel in the way that the Elmo does. This is known to be a definate scratch hazard on the Elmo, and some people ,like Dave Locke, have fitted rollers to eliminate the feed channel scratches.
Whatever the reasons, in my opinion Eumigs are just much kinder to film, and the Eumig designers must have paid much closer attention to their film path design than the Elmo designers.
Having said all that I should state that my Elmo's currently do not appear to be scratching film - if I meticulously clean the film path before EVERY reel. Eumigs are much more relaxed in that regard, not requiring nearly as much film path TLC.

By the way, are you planning on going to the October BFCC?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted July 23, 2012 12:22 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a Sankyo S800 which scratched my print of "The Snowman".
Grrr!!

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2012 01:51 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is ironic is that the film path on the Elmo & Sankyo is more easily accessible for cleaning. And unthreading in the middle of a reel is impossible on some (all?) Eumig's.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 23, 2012 04:49 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
The answer is simple,the Germans have a reputation for precision,
and therefore everything is made to order and it must be right,
the Japanese are not known for this type of engineering,and so
take short cuts like the tracking common in all Elmo's,they never
innovate but tend to copy or try to improve on accepted ideas.
Their machines are the cause of a lot of damaged prints out there
and I can't think of any German projectors that have a reputation
for film damage.

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2012 05:04 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hugh,

due to Napoleon and the winners of WWI, all Eumig-devices are "Made in Austria" (except for a few cameras that are "Made in Japan") and hence haven't got anything to do with German reputation. [Big Grin]

Jörg

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2012 05:05 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or even the AUSTRIANS,Hugh!
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Alexander Lechner
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2012 05:43 AM      Profile for Alexander Lechner   Email Alexander Lechner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being an Austrian I have to say: the ones with a reputation for precision are the Swiss (just to add another nationality).
Back to the subject: also Eumigs scratch film. I have a few 800 Series and made the observation that there is wear on area around the gate; the chrome polished surface wears off with time and the base metal (some brass coloured alloy) gets exposed. The surface gets rougher and fine scratches can develop there. They are ofcourse not visible on the screen when projection is done with this projector, but still. I have also seen gate plates that had a rougher surface and were not polished from the start - saving money in production?

--------------------
Alex

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 23, 2012 06:00 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only time I have known the Eumig 800 range projectors scratch is when as Alexander says the gates are worn out. Thankfully the Eumig design team came up with instantly removable gate plates so it is a quick change of gates to cure the normal wear problem. If the 2 gate plates are nice and shiny then you will not have a problem.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted July 23, 2012 08:27 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the best of both worlds. An Elmo ST1200 and a Eumig Mark S 807D . Neither of them have scratched any of my films. I keep the film gates clean as well as the complete film transport mechanism and therefore have had no problems. At least none that are visible with the naked eye [Eek!]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 23, 2012 09:35 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just about to apologise for my faux pax ,and beaten to the
post before I could rectify,of course Eumig is Austrian,but the fact remains,these machines are legendary especially the older models,before plastic moldings took over, and well do I remember being told by a well known UK supplier when
I asked about the Elmo's scratching,"Well they do if you use them a lot!",which beggars the question as I use my old Mark S
machines a lot and not a frame marked.When they were called
"The Wizards of Vienna" by a well known journalist some years
back,he knew what he was talking about.
Pat,don't be complacent with your Elmo's,no matter how clean you keep them,that isn't the problem,it's down to the plastic wearing.The late Paul van Someren itemised all the points of
wear in his mag,and identified the position of the scratches on
screen,he didn't have to do that with any other make.
Someday,you'll watch a favourite film and discover some nice
green scratches that were'nt there before,and then another
print and another,they are not to be trusted without modification.I found that out through bitter experience.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2012 10:20 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a Eumig 709D....which scratched the devil out of my prints....especially when used for Super 8. I have not had any scratching with the elmos....and I've been using them since the mid 70's.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2012 11:00 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too have experienced the famous Eumig emulsion scratches that render your prints unwatchable and worthless. They did some good machines but they also produced some complete crap.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 23, 2012 11:27 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
The have/nt done half the damage that Elmo have done John,
even you no doubt have alterations to your projectors for anti
scratch.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 23, 2012 11:29 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
all Eumig-devices are "Made in Austria" (except for a few cameras that are "Made in Japan")
Look how the economy is working.

1. 1950-60s Europe made good machinery, then to cut the cost they sent to Japan

2. 1970s-1980s Japan made good machinery, then to cut the cost they sent to Korea

3. 1980s-1990s Korea made good machinery, then to cut the cost they sent to China

4, 1990s -2000s ....?

--------------------
Winbert

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 23, 2012 11:44 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
In this little corner of the world Winbert,anything that had
Made in England or Made in Gt Britain stamped on it,people
knew they had an item of good quality that would give years of service (the iron bridges in Venice were all manufactured in
England),unfortunately that is not the case now,as we follow the
idea of "calculated obsolescence" where certain items are given
a certain life then discarded.Then we have to listen to the
political arseholes talking about recycling.You do realise that the
people out there think we are all a bit odd forever getting
projectors repaired when all you need is a dvd player.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 23, 2012 12:55 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure that continual good maintenace of your projectors also help, but I will also say that the top of the line Eumig's are pretty much scratch free, while the cheaper models can sometimes be unreliable.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2012 08:03 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for all those replies.

Paul, Very interesting observations and mabye you have a point about the loops in the Elmo. I think that Elmo based their film path on their 16mm machines but dont have an Elmo 16cl to compare with. BTW I will be going to the october BFCC [Smile] .

quote:
What is ironic is that the film path on the Elmo & Sankyo is more easily accessible for cleaning
Joe, that is one feature that I really like on the Elmo's, the fact that you can quickly pull down the film path cover to check if the film is ok. And you can easily gain access to the gate by swinging out the lens. On Eumigs, even the later ones, you have to unscrew the cover and pull it out. Not as neat as the Elmo where you can inspect the film path quickly and quietly in seconds.

Certaintly Elmo's can scratch if not carefully checked from time to time but can be modded for scratch free but this was not something Elmo thought of from the start. Eumig's might possibly have a better film path but not sure if we can call them 'scratch free'.

What is interesting is that Elmo placed 2 nylon rollers at the entry and exit of the top sprocket on the ST-1200HD and the GS800 but only 1 on entry of the GS1200 (their top machine?) which leads to wear on the exit of these on the GS1200. Many people add an extra roller here but its something we shouldnt have to do. Also the ST1200HD has a rubber roller for the tensioner instead of the black plastic type used for the GS series. This rubber roller can be used in the GS series (I believe) but its a shame that Elmo didnt continue to use this type when they desingned the GS series.

Graham S

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 23, 2012 09:04 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
On the whole Graham, the Elmo is a nice projector, the ST1200
gives the impression of a scaled down 16mm machine,bar for the
snubber roller being before the bottom sprocket.Cleaning is relatively easy,but you can clean the thing till the cows come
home,it is STILL gonna scratch,and that is a serious defect,especially
on prints costing many hundreds of pounds.Making excuses for their designers oversight cuts no ice with me,the projectors are a menace to film until they are modified,Which is why I said earlier,the Japanese are not innovators.
The problem with the majority of these machines lies with
auto thread,and that was fetched in by a designer because he
thought joe public could'nt lace up a projector.If the Elmo's
had been designed like a true pro machine,they would not have
been auto threading, because that is where the trouble lies.

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2012 09:45 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it possible manually thread Elmo projectors? If automatic threading is the major source of scratching, we can always just manually thread projectors.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 24, 2012 05:32 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid it isn't that simple Akshay,as a lot of the projectors
are fixed track,by that I mean the film path is an integral part of the projector.As John mentioned in the other thread regarding
Elmo,it could be feasible to remove the guides etc and he is
right.

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2012 09:53 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now I sometimes manually thread my ST-1200 and ST-1200HD sometimes. I shouldn't do that?

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 24, 2012 11:54 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to do that Akshay,that's fine,but I don't know what
advantage it would be,it's just that John did say,and he's right,
that the Elmo's would still function without the auto film guides.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 19, 2012 06:00 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello again Hugh, you appear to be extremely knowledgable on this film scratching issue associated with Elmo's.I have been fairly lucky so far having owned 4 different machines some being different varients of the ST1200. I was wondering if you could point out exactly in a detailed explanation what modifications are needed before any of my prints get damaged please. Thanks Andrew

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2012 03:46 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Worst damage ever done to any of my films was on a Eumig RS3000. One heck of a deep emulsion scratch. Never did find the reason for it and it never did it again.

But to be fair Eumig had become mass market by then and corners were being cut. I have an earlier Eumig that whilst it feels cheap compared to a similar Elmo of the day, it is a great little machine.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC