8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bolex 18-5L Super 8 Projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bolex 18-5L Super 8 Projector
Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2012 10:44 AM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took a chance and bought on a whim something I glanced on a couple of minutes before the sale ended on ebay this Bolex 18-5L Super 8 projector.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140803205436?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1439.l2649#ht_722wt_1221

Why was I able to buy it impulsively for $20 I thought, all it needed was a bulb? It arrived and I soon found out . The projector is in mint condition. The insides look brand new. BUT- The bulb isn't made anymore and requires a conversion (upside is I get a halogen light). Luckily I can get this done at a price which I'm going to have to do. It will rehabilitate a projector that should work well for a number of years. Thought I'd put this out there that there are two different 18-5L Super 8's. This one is the earlier model.

[ August 03, 2012, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: Richard Bock ]

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 03, 2012 02:24 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard

I was bidding on that because I thought it was a toaster! I'm glad you won it. [Big Grin]

PatD

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 03, 2012 04:05 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sure would be nice if there was more how-to information on converting old projector bulbs to halogen. I think there would be some market for producing and selling DIY conversion kits.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2012 09:09 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a site with some information on the conversion and how to tell from the serial number when it was made and thus which lamp it takes, approximately:

Bolex

[ August 04, 2012, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: Tony Stucchio ]

Alexander Lechner
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2012 07:22 AM      Profile for Alexander Lechner   Email Alexander Lechner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bolex produced the conversion set themselves; I had owned one until I sold the projector including the conversion about a year ago. The conversion has the same socket as the "spaceman bulb" and is super easy to install.
Besides: the original bulb is still available; put "p35s 12v 75w" into your internet search engine and you will get hits. They show astronomical prices but alternatively Wittner still has them: WittnerCinetec (at the bottom of the page).

--------------------
Alex

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC