8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New in Films & Forum

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New in Films & Forum
Manuel Tapia
Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2012 10:58 PM      Profile for Manuel Tapia   Email Manuel Tapia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everybody !!!

SOme weak ago i found the old Super 8 family films, so i sent to transfer in DVD, then after enjoy it with the family i thought, will be nice to have a film projector, so i look into ebay after see alot of them i found some one that i liked it, the Bell & Howell PS600, i liked this because was a sound projector and include some films like Star Wars IV, Star Wars V, Abbott & Costello in the navy, Laurel & Hardy, and some cartoons. i pay 95 USD. yesterday i tested it after a some tiem i learn how to play a film, finally i learn but i didn't like the image, was so dim, and the sound is not too clear, the image was darkest in the top of the image, so i check it and look like something was blocking in the bottom, but i note that the lamp wasn't aling, so a loosen the screw and align as good i could, the image improve but not as good i want. the film wasn't good too, they are so red i thing that is the vinegrate symptom and the sound is not good. So i have soem question that will help me to understand about this new hobby.

1.- What do you thing about my projector, is is a good quality ? what about the proces i pay.

2.- Could i do something about the dim ? or you thing i need a new buld ?

3.- I remove the lent and i noted that is not transparen, i thing that is normal isn't it ?

4.- I didn't find the sound magnetic head to clean it could you helpme to find it ?

5.- Is a way to restore the film ?

6.- How far i recomended to put the projector from the screen ?

7.- In the case that the film use to put red, how often is that ? could i found a clear picture, because wiht the red coulor, dark image and bad sound is not too much enjoyable to watch it !!

Thanks and i'm reading and searching, you guys have a lot of information here, thanks for sharing !!!

Manuel.

|  IP: Logged

Austin Holcomb
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2012 11:16 PM      Profile for Austin Holcomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Manuel,
Heres are some answers

1. for a projector and the films you got it was a good deal in my opinion.

2.I do not think it was the bulb but try to get the room the darkest possible blackout curtains help

3.Probially just debris build up spray air works well

4.take the cover off and post a picture

5.Not to my knowledge and it would not be worth it just buy new prints

6. as big as you want the image

7.There are many things that cause fade stock and the way it was stored are the big 2

Hope this helped
Austin

Manuel Tapia
Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2012 10:38 PM      Profile for Manuel Tapia   Email Manuel Tapia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Austin I found the magnetic head, i clean it i the sound improve, yesterday i broke the lamp because i remove the cover with the lamp on [Frown] , now i buy a new lamp, god are expensive i pay 50 USD that is crazy, i could buy a new projector with lamp, i very expensive leason, how long should the lamp works ?

I thing the problem of dim is gone, but not the clarity, but i don't know because i don't have a good film yet. i brought some cartoon film that supouse to have a good color, we will see the next week.

Regards !

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 31, 2012 10:21 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manuel, later you find that the best projectors are from Japan. Yes Jerman and Austria made good projectors too but not that many as opposed to Japanese.

OK, before I am bombarded with complaints by Bell Howel owners, I am telling the above statement after comparing the bulb/lamp price.

Most Japanese projectors are using EFP or EFR lamp which is only $5 -$8 each. The lamp is much brighter than your $50 lamp because it is halogen with good reflector. Some with new technology the so-called Xenophot.

The worse thing with your $50 lamp that is rated for 25 hours life time! while the new EFP (12v 100w) or EFR (15v 150w) can be 50 hours or more.

ps: 25 hours does not meant your lamp will instantly blow away after 25 hours. That is only the rate.

So yes, you are right that with $50 you can invest at a projector. May be a simple like Chinon 330 MV which I paid only $25. It uses EFP.

BTW, there are few high-end projectors even using ESC bulb which is 24v 200w. Yet the cost of bulb is only $19.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 31, 2012 10:39 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manuel

Welcome to the forum!

Most important, don't move the projector until the bulb is cooled. That's when the filament tends to break. When the bulb is hot. [Wink]

Manuel Tapia
Film Handler

- posted September 01, 2012 09:04 AM      Profile for Manuel Tapia   Email Manuel Tapia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Winbert,

Now the problem is if i try to change the projector my wife could kill me [Big Grin]
SO i'm thinking modified the projector to use other type of lamp, the EFR sound great but is a low voltaje, so i have to add a power source, i was checking anothers buld and i find these

ESD for 15 Dlls with free shipping, the lifetime is 12 hours

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eiko-ESD-120V-150W-MR16-GY5-3-JCDR-Visual-Bulb-/290435174126?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item439f490eee#ht_1730wt_1139

and because is a MR16 Type the socket is easy to find.

the Color temperature are very similar DLJ 3150°k vs ESD 3350°K

What do you think guys, about this modification, so you know some one that already do it?

Pasquale,
Thanks for welcome and the advice.!

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 01, 2012 02:49 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Very good advice from the boys there Manuel, another little piece
of advice is if you have touched the surface of the lamp or mirror
give it a wipe with Methylated Spirit,I believe you call it "rubbing
alcohol" over there,that is because any oils off your fingers can
be burnt into the lamp and so shorten it's life.It might pay to have a look at some of the suppliers of Disco Gear such as lighting etc.
In the UK we have them, and it is possible to obtain your lamps
at a fraction of the price you're paying now.Also welcome to the forum.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 01, 2012 08:03 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forum Manuel! Wow Austin you have come a long way kid you sound like a pro with that advice to Manuel.

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Austin Holcomb
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 02, 2012 01:18 AM      Profile for Austin Holcomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone here has helped me a lot so whenever I get the chance I will do the same and atleast try to help [Smile]
Austin

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC