8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Quartz Halogen Lamp to MR16 Halogen Conversion - GAF / Elmo FP Series (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Quartz Halogen Lamp to MR16 Halogen Conversion - GAF / Elmo FP Series
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 26, 2012 08:20 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald, with all due respect, what was in your mind to put a 12v bulb on 21v projector? [Eek!] [Confused]

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 26, 2012 08:46 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great Gerald! I feel like I've started the CONVERSION WAVE [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 26, 2012 11:09 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald I just checked the voltage on the EJL bulb you mentioned. DO NOT USE IT....it's 24V 200W.

Only use a EKE or EJV.

--------------------
Janice

George Tveden
Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2013 12:30 AM      Profile for George Tveden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marriage made in projection heaven with QLV-1 matched to G17Q base. All you need is G17Q base, QLV-1 socket, masking tape, solder, JB Weld, spring clamp and a G17Q jig. Break any old G17Q base lamp such as DJL, DLH, DCH, DJA, DFN, ect. Clean glass down to base rim. Break out the corresponding rear electrical contact pins from the base. Use masking tape to cover open holes in G17Q base. Solder QLV-1 leads to fit as the new pins in the G17Q base. Use a needle or pin to poke a small hole centered the in tape covering the base openings. Place Base in an matching socket out of old parts projector. Push tinned leads down through the tape and base, into the socket. J-B weld it in the jig. Clamp it. After setting, pop the new lamp module out, and put the appropriate MR16 rated lamp corresponding with the wattage and voltage of the original lamp application. DJL= ESD, EZK, JCR/150/120, etc; DLH= ENH etc. Just that simple. Works like a champ! Good luck!

Remember, this information is for private use only. No commercial application or permission for commercial production of this design will be allowed or tolerated. A patent has been applied for this lamp module design. Intellectual property rights covering this device and any process for making it will be rigorously protected. Have fun making your own plug-in module for private use though! [Smile]

- [Smile]

[ April 30, 2013, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: George Tveden ]

--------------------
Geo. Tveden

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 07, 2013 12:47 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
George this sounds great...but next time you do a conversion like this could you take some incremental photos to go along with your instructions. I'd like to try it...but I'm having trouble visualizing some of the steps. [Confused]

--------------------
Janice

Bruce Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2013 02:51 AM      Profile for Bruce Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds great. I'd like to try it but I would need a video.
Janice? With sound! [Big Grin] BW

--------------------
Bruce Wright

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 07, 2013 03:59 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce....Don't look at me [Eek!] It's George's design. If I knew how to do it...I would make a video [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 08, 2013 03:51 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Elmo FP-A projectors generally used a DCA (150W 21.5V) lamp. However, I discovered when I bought an FP-A projector for parts that it had a Halogen MR16 EJM (150W 21V) lamp. This must have been the Deluxe Model. So I removed all the lamp components from the junker and transfered them to my original FP-A projector.

Here is what the conversion looks like.

My Elmo FP-A
 -

This is what the Junker FP-A Deluxe model looks like;
 -

The original DCA lamp:
 -

The converted halogen EJM lamp:
 -

-

-

Nice bright projected picture:
 -

--------------------
Janice

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2013 04:08 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't recall where I saw it just recently, maybe eBay, but it was a conversion socket just like George made and they were asking $300.00 for it.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 08, 2013 05:52 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW...$300. It doesn't sound that complicated. I want to try and make one. Maybe I'll understand the instructions better once I start...but I get a little confused with the "jig" part of the instructions. I hope George posts some more pics.

--------------------
Janice

George Tveden
Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2013 05:14 AM      Profile for George Tveden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Janice and Barry,
Ummm... I'm the guy selling those on eBay and my website too. Barry, you were about $225.00 over the actual price though. I wish I was getting those prices. lol. [Smile] It does take a few hours to make them, and the jig is the key of course. Although I'm a newbie here, I like the concept of this forum and the enthusiasm of the members. Although it would be easier and probably cheaper to buy one, it's a lot more fun to make one. That is why I wanted to show the plug-in module. I do make how to video's for YouTube and my website. I will send photo and print instructions for the jig free to any 8mm Forum member for private use only. Just send me a message with your email.

--------------------
Geo. Tveden

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 09, 2013 06:39 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I PM'd you George [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC