8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Colour Correction filters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Colour Correction filters
Michael Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2012 04:16 AM      Profile for Michael Wright   Email Michael Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone tried these filters that are currently listed on Ebay? They are a set of 3 filters in varying shades of blue. The listing is headed "8mm film Color Correction Filter Stock" being sold by "Hoserjewl" MIKE

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 14, 2012 04:43 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't used them as I have my own set and tend to prefer
a combination of amber/blue, which brings the natural colour
back,whereas just using blue gives a "cold" unnatural cast.

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2012 06:31 AM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi guys ive never used them how do they work

Manuel Tapia
Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2012 07:02 AM      Profile for Manuel Tapia   Email Manuel Tapia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used my 35 mm camera filter (Cokin 82b) is a blue correction used befored sunset to eliminate the excess of red light, and works ok but as hugh say, could be quite cold, i never try to mix with amber, I well check if i have an ambar to try it.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 14, 2012 01:22 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
They work very simply Kevin,by placing the desired filter over the
lens of your projector to dispel the fiery red bias of some faded
prints.A lot of faded film I have found display various stages of
colour fade, a print can be described as warm colour, which
sometimes doesn't need a filter as the print is usually acceptable,
but shown through an amber or pale yellow filter pulls it back.
Sometimes a print has gone a stage further and is losing the
greens,therefore a blue/yellow combination brings back green
and blue skies and removes the "fiery" reds from flesh tones.
Then there is the red print where no colour is present only the
red, it can be helped by a green/blue combo to make it at least
watchable,but it does drop the brightness.The filters I use are
Gelatins used in stage lighting and have served me well over the years.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2012 01:09 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh, would you be willing to put up some pics of the differences you achieve with your filters? I ask because whenever I have done this I have usually found the drop in light output usually becomes more distracting to me than the color shift. The thought of using 2x filters sounds even more distracting, but perhaps I have just been using the wrong filters.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted September 22, 2012 08:40 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note this thread from not long ago on the same subject:
http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007318# 000011

I subsequently bought a HOYA 82C cyan filter, which only cost me about £7 for a new one on eBay. Mine is 49mm, which is ideal for temporarily fixing to my scope lens bracket with Blu Tac. The cooler image that this filter provides would make little difference to a badly faded print, but I think it does improve one that still has a moderate amount of colour left. The reduction in light is significant so I think I'll only use it with 16mm. I like the convenience of a glass filter in a metal mount, but I'm not yet aware if there's another in this line that would be better for a film with more serious fade.

Can anyone confirm if I'm right in thinking that an 82B (or an 82A) would have a milder effect than an 82C? If so, my experience makes me think that an 82B would only help a film with very slight fade.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 22, 2012 10:19 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dino, unfortunately I haven't gone digital yet,but if you send
me your address I'll send you a sample of what I use and you can
try it yourself.I can't say I've noticed a lot of light loss,as I usually
use the 200w lamps on both S/8 & 16mm, so there is plenty of
light especially on the Fumeo.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 22, 2012 04:41 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And certainly it is good to read the old post made by Doug Meltzer on his review for this color correction (screen shots available there):

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004101# 000000

But beware Doug bought the expensive filter from Wittner, you can purchase the cheap one from the same Ebay seller for almost the same result. I did try and this is my opinion.

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC