8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Kiss concert film. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Kiss concert film.
Matt Villagomez
Junior

- posted October 01, 2012 08:08 PM      Profile for Matt Villagomez   Email Matt Villagomez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a Kiss concert film on Ebay last week. It finally came in the mail. I never even knew this existed. Being the huge Kiss fan I am I had to have it. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else knew this existed. It is from their 1977 Love Gun tour. The audio and video are out of sync. They just took audio from Alive and Alive II and put it over the video. I'm wondering if I have a rare piece of not just Kisstory but a rare Super 8 film. Just wondering how many of these were made.

--------------------
It's 1 o'clock and time for lunch

|  IP: Logged

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2012 09:32 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Matt!

I am a fan of KISS. I really like the band up to their solo albums. I grew up with them so I have a soft spot for old stuff. Anyway, I have never known of any commercially released super 8 KISS films so maybe this is something that a fan filmed and then added the soundtrack themselves. If so, it seems to me it would be a one of a kind item.

Maybe someone else can chime in if they are aware of Kiss on super 8. What a cool find!

Bill [Smile]

Timothy Price
Master Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2012 09:38 PM      Profile for Timothy Price   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt-

I had two KISS Super 8 200ft Color/Silent Films I bought in the early eighties from an add in Circus Magazine!

One was the Love Gun Tour (Ace had on his gold choker) And I believe the other was Alive (75) I used to play my Alive & Alive II records along with em!

I sold them to a KISS Collector in the early nineties when I was touring in an all original band and making about two bucks a week!

Wish I still had 'em!

Matt Villagomez
Junior

- posted October 01, 2012 09:39 PM      Profile for Matt Villagomez   Email Matt Villagomez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I know is that the seller said they bought it from a mail order catalog in the 70's. I'm pretty sure it's not a fan-made film. There are too many different angles.

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2012 05:39 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tim for the info.

Is this a sound film Matt? Maybe the sound was added by a fan if it was only available in silent versions?

Bill [Smile]

Timothy Price
Master Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2012 09:06 AM      Profile for Timothy Price   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like the same films I had. Yeah, it definitely wasn't home movie quality. Like Matt said, I remember many up close shots and plenty of angles.

And I bet you're right Bill, I'll bet they added sound. Mine we're indeed silent/color.

Saw this on ebay myself and almost bought it.

STILL a big KISS fan! \m/ [Mad] \m/

We need to have a Super 8mm, KISS, Godzilla Con!

SUPERZILLAKISSCON 2012

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 02, 2012 01:40 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They sold concert film in SILENT....!!! what is this?

It doesn't make any sense to me.

Did they think we could enjoy music without hearing the music ? [Confused]

--------------------
Winbert

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 02, 2012 02:09 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm presuming that visually it's so outlandish that fans could still gain some enjoyment from it - and anyone playing recirds at the same time wouldn't have had to worry about sync.

This is really interesting as another example of rock music releases that are incredibly hard to find. I wish someone could find a catalogue or list that mentions more. I metioned once in another thread having a rare sound release that lasts about 6 mins and features Alice Copper both off and on stage.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted October 05, 2012 03:37 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the 70's,not only buying films,but also rock LPs etc,
lists from various corners always turned up and there was one
that had the usual trashy novelties of pop star memorabilia but
also a cornucopia of 8mm film of Elvis concerts, Kiss,Led Zeppelin,
The Rolling Stones and if I remember correctly,they were lengths of between 50' to 100' all silent.The list was a xeroxed affair with
little cartoons etc and ran to about three pages, and it could
have originated from a little company in Wallesey Liverpool.I wish I'd bought a few with hindsight.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2012 02:07 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WINBERT- I'm SO glad you said something, because I was going crazy thinking, "Am I the only one who thinks its INSANE to release a concert film, in SILENT???

I don't fault the customer. If I was a huge KISS fan, and there is ONLY the option of buying this silent, then I guess its better than nothing. But my question is- WHY would someone even release a concert film.....in silent!... [Roll Eyes]

That seems nuts to me. I would compare it to, maybe, a silent version of "Grease", or a silent version of a famous speech (with no subtitles).

Ok- sorry, I'm done now [Wink] .

James.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2012 12:28 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a Kiss fan and Super 8 buyer since the 70's never knew these existed. Sounds crazy in silent, but there was so much Kiss merchandice I can understand why they were produced.

Timothy Price
Master Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2012 10:22 AM      Profile for Timothy Price   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm....I'm wondering if these are some of the same films. They're noted as being color/silent.

The ones that indeed stick out the most for me are the Love Gun and Alive II Silent/Color Super 8 50ft/100ft Films

http://users.erols.com/squabit/KIZZFAN.html

Kenneth DePriest Jr
Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2012 01:07 PM      Profile for Kenneth DePriest Jr   Email Kenneth DePriest Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there was also a film related toy clled Double-Vue that was like a pocket flix or that fisher price thing with the yellow cartridges that was actually on super 8. They had a kiss cart I had it as a kid and wish I still had it. it was only two minutes of silent film though.

Chris Davis
Junior

- posted February 06, 2013 05:55 PM      Profile for Chris Davis   Email Chris Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am very familiar with this film. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Chris, I work on a Kiss 8mm Film Archive Project (kiss8mmfilms on youtube). The film you have (which is different than the ones listed above on the erols website) is called Kiss Gun. It was released in 3 parts. The footage is culminated from raw footage shot in Vancouver, Seattle, and Los Angeles on the Love Gun tour. This film series was sold in magazines. I am actually trying to find out who the filmers were. It was DEFINITELY filmed in the audience by fans. Not professionally done by any means. The post editing was probably done by the person who released it. The concert films were all cut up and pieced together in different orders than they were originally filmed. We've reconstructed the original films back to their individual concerts from these hackup releases, and I'm under the assumption we have most of the footage. Im not sure if it's the same person/people who filmed these 3 shows who did the editing.

I'm acutally trying to track down who might have the master reels that these films came from. Can anyone throw out some names of the US distributors of 1970s concert super 8 films? I can do research, but I am coming up with zero leads with my current searches.

If anyone has any other questions on kiss films in the 1970s, feel free to ask. I have extensive knowledge of the subject.

And of course I'm always on the lookout for master transfers or reels I don't have. Currently I have about 50 kiss 8mm films in my collection ranging from 1974-1985.

Oh and the double vue thing was just silent film of the official "i was made for loving you" and "1979 tour promo" videos.

All the best

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2013 06:19 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chris-

Do you know if any SOUND super 8mm films of KISS were released?

I'm still baffled by the fact that a concert was recorded with no sound [Confused] .

James.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2013 06:21 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow thanks Chris for the great info and welcome to the forum. As I mentioned before I grew up with KISS in the 1970's heyday and still a fan of that era. I am amazed that you have 50 super 8 films of KISS in your collection. Everyone that has these must keep them. I would LOVE to find some myself.

Any chance of posting a list of your KISS film collection. This would be a great asset to helping in tracking down these films for us film collectors. I'm sorry but I can't answer your question about the distributors. Have you been able to get any info off of the film leaders? If they are original sometimes you can get lab or distributor info from them.

Bill [Smile]

Chris Davis
Junior

- posted February 06, 2013 06:23 PM      Profile for Chris Davis   Email Chris Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only sound film that was released was a copy of the Hotter Than Hell TV Commercial from 1974. The "no sound" thing makes sense from a legal standpoint. The owners of the films could sell them without paying any royalties. And with the advent of home video machines, video version with early (bad) sync jobs were made. I believe the intent on at least a few of these films was to also record the same concert on an audio cassette and "sync" the film later.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2013 06:30 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well that's sort of a bummer about them all being silent but the reasoning makes sense. It would still be really nice to own a few.

Bill [Smile]

Chris Davis
Junior

- posted February 06, 2013 06:44 PM      Profile for Chris Davis   Email Chris Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A recent list of films that I have copies of are listed below (many are HD transfers of the original reels). I do not have any of these reels myself so sadly I can't find info on leaders. Many of these have been posted on the youtube kiss8mmfilms page. I've since received some more films, but this is pretty current.

Again, if anyone who knows who filmed the "Kiss Gun" series and could help me track down the filmers it would be appreciated. The 1976 New Orleans and Jackson MS films were filmed by the same person and I'm on the hunt for the original reels of those as well. I need better transfers of those. And any other films that might exist that are not on this list, that would be great to know as well.

1974 - 01 - 26 - New York NY
1974 - 02 - 17 - Long Beach CA
1974 - 12 - 22 - London, Ontario Backstage
1975 - 05 - 06 - Milwaukee WI
1975 - 05 - 26 - Portland OR (16mm film)
1975 - 12 - 18 - Waterbury CT
1976 - 01 - 25 - Detroit, MI
1976 - 02 - 04 - Milwaukee WI
1976 - 02 - 13 or 14 - Seattle WA
1976 - 03 - 28 - Springfield MA
1976 - 04 - 22 - Ottawa Ontario
1976 - 05 - 01 - New York - Aces Wedding
1976 - 05 - 28 - Stockholm - from Kiss loves you DVD
1976 - 05 - 28 - Stockholm Sweden v1
1976 - 05 - 28 - Stockholm Sweden v2 (alternate filmer)
1976 - 05 - 30 - Lund Sweden
1976 - 08 - 14 - Atlanta - Peaches Records Instore Appearance
1976 - 09 - 06 - Toronto Ontario
1976 - 11 - 28 - Greenville SC
1976 - 12 - 03 - Jackson, MS
1976 - 12 - 04 - New Orleans LA
1977 - 01 - 22 - Chicago, IL
1977 - 02 - 06 - Minneapolis MN
1977 - 03 - 07 - Hampton, VA
1977 - 07 - 24 - Vancouver BC
1977 - 09- 01 - Houston TX
1977 - 11 - 17 - Denver Colorado
1977 - 12 - 02 - St Paul MN
1977 - 12 - 02 - St Paul MN (2nd version - different filmer)
1977 - "Gun" Tapes (Seattle, Vancouver, Los Angeles)
1978 - 01 - 11 - Huntington WV
1978 - 01 - 15 - Chicago IL
1978 - 01 - 16 - Chicago IL
1978 - 01 - 25 - Buffalo NY
1978 - 05 - 19 - Valencia, CA
1979 - 09- 10 - Huntington WV
1979 - 09 - 22 - Chicago, IL
1979 - 09 - 28 - Minneapolis MN
1980 - 09 - 02 - Milano Italy
1980 - 09 - 05 - Stafford England
1980 - 10 - 10 - Gothenburg Sweden
1980 - 10 - 11 - Copenhagen Denmark
1980 - 10 - 13 - Drammen Norway
1982 - 10 -28 - Creatures Press Conference
1983 - 01 - 04 - Charleston WV - v1
1983 - 01 - 04 - Charleston WV - v2
1985 - 12 - x - Asylum Unknown

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2013 06:48 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the response Chris.

That does make more since now and I can see why they would make these in silent format (legal issues).

I guess it would have been fun enough for a kid to make his own soundtrack from his KISS record collection back then.

James.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2013 06:57 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting the list! If I can find any info I'll be sure to let you know. I just checked out a couple of the films on youtube....AWESOME!

Now did you obtain all these films from the actual people that filmed them? I am assuming if you did and this being original footage that the originals are still owned by the filmmakers themselves?

What films from this list was available to the general public? Any?

Bill [Smile]

Chris Davis
Junior

- posted February 07, 2013 05:01 PM      Profile for Chris Davis   Email Chris Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About half the films are freely available at this time.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2013 05:55 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From where? Are you referring to VHS or DVD copies of these films or just viewing them on youtube?

Bill [Smile]

Chris Davis
Junior

- posted February 07, 2013 08:33 PM      Profile for Chris Davis   Email Chris Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mostly youtube and trading circles right now that I know of. We can't do anything with the films except for youtube with our project because we don't own any of the films, other than having permission from the owners or they don't care and havent come forward to tell us who they are in some cases. If we went any further by pressing DVDs and the like Gene Simmons would be after us. So there ya go.

Matt Villagomez
Junior

- posted February 07, 2013 10:10 PM      Profile for Matt Villagomez   Email Matt Villagomez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doc McGhee would come knocking on your door demanding you give him the DVDs.
I was watching a lot of those videos on You Tube. That's the kind of stuff I wish I had on film. It's really awesome to see audience shot film from the early years. Still a huge Kiss fan.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC