8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Ektachrome 64T vs 100D vs VNF 7240 my experience and comparison for hand processing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ektachrome 64T vs 100D vs VNF 7240 my experience and comparison for hand processing
Jake Mayes
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2012 02:22 PM      Profile for Jake Mayes   Email Jake Mayes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would take this info with a grain of salt, before I begin because I hand-process.
If that makes much of a difference. I use a normal spiral tank, as I cannot afford the cost of a lomo reel and tank ATM. Film sticking is avoided with use of a lomo tank.

64T is a low asa one, but has grain very similar to 100D, but less tight. Sharpness is less but color pallette is more muted. Suited the zombie walk we had yesterday for college. The upside of this film is its forgiving for processing error, as I have tested. But it is so unforgiving for exposure error, 1/3 of a stop is noticeable!

64T is a tungsten film of course, can be useful.
Overall satisfactory, apart from one major fault with this stock. The pressure plate is useless. The slightest jitter means the film is not pressed agenst the gate properly, causing image flutter. When we are going crazy on a zombie walk, this is very noticeable. I was having so much fun I paid little attention to my camera, but it looked good and hilarious especially the faces of passers by, considering there was over 200 of us! Flutter is noticeable in a couple of areas. Sharpness is lacking somewhat, yielding a soft image. Sticks together a bit, hand processing strong agitation is advised (this only applies if you carefully coil film into a normal daylight tank)

100D a major improvement. Responds well to pushing, very stable image but very unforgiving of exposure error, and development error. Saturated pallette, tight grain, even when pushed a stop (as my 18th footage has been). Rich, and vibrant. Emulsion is more fragile so careful handling when spooling I find is a must! Leaves the stabilizer pink (unused coupler? Antihalation layer?)
Does not stick together as much.

VNF 7240 (in e6 at 38C) refrigerated

Muted colours (when projected bigger than say 11 inches diagonal, coarse grain
And dimmer on projection, although stays true to colours, apart from some blues are rendered very slightly green. From my experience forgiving of development error, but when hand processed loves to stick together, badly! Extreme agitation reduces this. Fine for fun, I cannot comment on long term stability of the dyes.

64T Advantages:
tungsten balanced, useful in some circumstances
Colour pallette suits some applications but not others
Forgiving of development error
Neutral toned( can be a disadvantage for some)

64T disadvantages:
muted palette, suits some applications however
Lack of sharpness
Need to keep camera stable due to pressure plate
Does not render warm colours well.
Some cameras can not meter 64ASA

100D advantages:
Rich, saturated colours
Strong pressure plate
Pushes well (1 stop, cannot comment on two)
All cameras can expose it well (1/3 of a stop on some, still yields acceptable results)

100D disadvantages
Processing errors are fatal, especially temperature
Delicate emulsion, when wet!
Unforgiving of exposure error

VNF 7240 advantages

Can be had for cheap
Retro look that some like
Forgiving for processing error

VNF disadvantages
Old hard to find stock
Archival stability when e6 processed is unknown
Does not fully render blues correctly (in e6)
Looks dull and very grainy when enlarged bigger than 11 inch.
Do not buy if not stored refrigerated, does not keep.
7250 stock unstable, most likely useless. Stay with 7240.

This is from my limited personal experience. Anyone else who has more info do add it!

Jake

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 06, 2012 07:53 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have my first two rolls of 100D waiting in the 'fridge for next weekend.

Since they are underexposed in a 40/160 ASA only camera, is it a wild guess that they will be at their best in bright daylight in those cases?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2012 12:26 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, unless you have an exposure override so you can push it a stop or more beyond what is metered, I wouldn't waste the film in a camera that won't read the ASA correctly.

Jake, I've dabbled in shooting all of those film stocks over the past 8 years and think your assessments are spot o, whether lab processed or by hand. In fact, the only reason to use that VNF 7240 was its faster speed, it certainly wasn't sharp, nor did it have a particularly accurate color palette, and always had just a bit too much grain. Nice work.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 07, 2012 08:26 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I keep hearing that 100D will yield satisfactory results in these cameras is most cases, but I never hear what the exceptions are!

--------------------

Alexander Lechner
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2012 11:01 AM      Profile for Alexander Lechner   Email Alexander Lechner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jake:
quote:
64T is a low asa one ... But it is so unforgiving for exposure error, 1/3 of a stop is noticeable!
I can not second this at all. I exposed several cartridges in many different cameras that read the film as 40 ASA and had them processed in different labs as well. The outcome was never ever overexposed but with very saturated natural colours.

Steve:
quote:
Since they are underexposed in a 40/160 ASA only camera, is it a wild guess that they will be at their best in bright daylight in those cases?
Doesn't matter in what condition you expose it in such a camera, as exposure is automatic you will always get a noticably underexposed image. You can help yourself with backlight correction, which is available on most cameras.

--------------------
Alex

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 08, 2012 10:32 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Underexposure of 100D exposed at 160ASA is 2/3 of a stop.

Increased exposure due to my backlight setting is a stop and a half.

Net result combined would be almost a full stop of overexposure. (If my math is good here...)

Is this preferable to the 2/3 stop under I started with?

--------------------

Alexander Lechner
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2012 11:54 AM      Profile for Alexander Lechner   Email Alexander Lechner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cameras I tried this backlight correction with make a +1 change, which is close enough. I just made the experience that with 100D the 2/3 underexposure is very well noticable and an overexposure (I think it was close to two stops) results in a glare around all bright areas, but it is not too bad. If I had to choose, as there seems to be no other alternative, I would go for the overexposure.

--------------------
Alex

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 08, 2012 12:38 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well...

The mission of those rolls of film is at least partially doing an experiment.

I guess I'll have to take some notes while I'm filming.

(There are days I really miss Kodachrome 40 and the 50 ASA Plus-X!)

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC