8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Kodak Ektasound 285 Projector, Piece of film stuck

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kodak Ektasound 285 Projector, Piece of film stuck
Gary Griffin
Junior

- posted October 17, 2012 01:14 PM      Profile for Gary Griffin   Email Gary Griffin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have had projector since mid 70's and have all my early family events recorded on super 8 sound film. A piece of film has been stuck in projector for last 15 years. I have tried many times to open it to repair but can not get top reel holder off. In a June 2012 post, Janise Glesser indicated she had a link to a Repair Manual. I would be most appreciative to obtain access to this mamual. My goal is to fix the projector so I can project my old films and re-record them in a digital format before these films degrade any further. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks

--------------------
Griff

|  IP: Logged

Joseph Banfield
Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2012 06:58 AM      Profile for Joseph Banfield   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't help you with the stuck piece of film in the machine as those moviedecks are a real pain to get apart and put back together.

But I can tell you that this machine is not suitable to record your movies using a digital camera. There are many topics concerning this here on this forum. You must have a projector with variable speed control and none of the moviedecks from Kodak had this feature...just 18 or 24 frames per second and that was it. When you do try it out anyway, you will notice a very bad flicker that will make it unwatchable when you play back your digital recording. Telecine work is very difficult to do well and for that you will need another projector since the one you have will not do.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted October 18, 2012 07:02 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
gary

Did youlook underneath? There is a removeable cover that allows you to get at the film path if it's stuck there?

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 18, 2012 01:41 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gary...If you pm me with your email address I can get the manual to you. The maintenance instructions will show you how to remove the film reel platter so you can get the the top off. Also, I have to respectfully disagree with Joseph about the Moviedeck not being good to transfer film. I have the Moviedeck 265 model...so I know it does have variable speed control. I think these projectors are great for doing transfers.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Joseph Banfield
Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2012 01:50 PM      Profile for Joseph Banfield   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I learned something new about the Moviedeck but mine had no variable speed control as I recall. Perhaps Kodak did insert them into some of those models. It was a decent running machine that I used for quite for some time too. It's funny how everyone always thought it was a slide projector at first glance!

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 22, 2012 09:57 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does look like a slide projector Joseph [Smile] I think that may be why some film enthusiast may not take the Moviedeck seriously. I have two...the 265 and the Supermatic 20...they are among my top favorite projectors [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC