8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Help, mildew! Which cleaner?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help, mildew! Which cleaner?
Peter Tomkies
Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2012 09:58 PM      Profile for Peter Tomkies   Email Peter Tomkies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have finally found the time and equipment to start transferring a big archive of 8mm and super 8mm films to video but when starting to look at the films some of them have a strange smell and some have clear evidence of midlew or mould. Others bizarrely seem fine.

What is the best film cleaner (available in the UK) to use on film with mould or mildew? I have some FC50 from the Widescreen Centre but have seen no mention of that product here but two other products FilmGuard and CrestClean being recommended. I know that cleaning will reveal the damage to the emulsion even further but will it stop the spread of the mould?

One fo the things that has put me off cleaning film in the past is the time it will take. I have an editor viewer so was planning to use this as a pair of rewind arms to apply the cleaner. However there is barely a foot or so of film between the arms and the instuctions say things like "apply with a soft cloth and wait 30 seconds to allow to dry". That will mean each 50 foot reel taking around 25 minutes - and some of my films are 600 feet! If that's what it takes then I'll get ready to be sat inhaling fumes for a while but am I misinformed?

Thanks so much for any help or advice that can be offered.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2012 11:04 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter, do a seach here for "FilmRenew" or "Film Renew," which if no tape splices or plastic reels are involved, the film can be soaked indefinitely in a bath of this product, and it will kill anything living on it.

Film Guard is a super lubricant/cleaner but I don't think it has the same killing power as it is too concentrated for soaking.

Peter Tomkies
Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2012 12:54 PM      Profile for Peter Tomkies   Email Peter Tomkies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's great, thank you. My film is all currently on plastic spools so I had best track down some metal reels sharpish!

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2012 05:58 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if you can't find the stuff in the U.K. you can use mineral spirits...same stuff just without the wax added [Cool]

then use filmguard if you have it...

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Peter Tomkies
Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2012 06:22 PM      Profile for Peter Tomkies   Email Peter Tomkies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hadn't heard of mineral spirits before and when I Googled them it took me to art shops which were sayign mineral spirits are used for cleaning paint brushes and thinning paint... is that the same thing? I know that film isn't paint but it seems a scary thing to apply to my celluloid memories! :-)

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2012 07:04 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
don't be scared, it is the same thing...but if it still scares you then pay extra for filmrenew.

Never used CrestClean...since it is available there then that may be your best choice...for the mildew.

You can do some web searching and there are OLD film topics about cleaning. One of the contributors was a gent from KODAK who suggested cleaning films with a good solvent...and if you like, you can mix in a little wax...if ever there was a snake oil for sale...it would be filmrenew.

--------------------

Peter Tomkies
Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2012 08:07 PM      Profile for Peter Tomkies   Email Peter Tomkies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again, I have some trimmings of old movies that I can practice on to steady my nerve. Do you know is mineral spirit the same as white spirit in the UK?

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2012 11:27 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes, it is the same as white spirits in the u.k.

send me an email and I will go into details [Cool]

--------------------

Peter Tomkies
Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2012 10:03 AM      Profile for Peter Tomkies   Email Peter Tomkies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Wayne, you have mail :-)

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted November 03, 2012 01:40 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Peter, I think the mineral spirits that Wayne speaks could
be Methylated spirit, I would check this out, Meths shouldn't
harm your film, but the cleaner you speak of from Art shops could be Turpentine based.If I were you,give them a wipe with meths
or surgical spirit and a coat of Cresclene.Filmrenew is a gentle
treatment, but is expensive to import.Wayne is correct in what
he's saying,but until we can identify the common denominator
of which spirits to use,play safe and use the above.

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2012 02:02 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh, I'm not posting everything...although I couldn't get banned twice from Urbanski's site could I? [Cool]

send me an email

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted November 03, 2012 02:24 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Wayne I have every faith in you and I shall email you for your
formula as these lubricants are a tad expensive,especially if you use 16mm.I can't believe that you got banned from a site for
something as trivial as enlightening folks, well it's their loss.
Meanwhile I hope Peter gets his problem sorted.

Peter Tomkies
Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2012 08:45 PM      Profile for Peter Tomkies   Email Peter Tomkies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Wayne for your very informative email and to Hugh for your comments.

Crest Clean and Filmguard both seem to be available in the UK but Crest Clean is a lot cheaper! is there much difference? Is it worth paying the extra for the wet gate effect of Film Guard in disguising some types of scratches?

I ma reading and learning so much at the moment - thanks to everyone who is taking the time to help me.

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2012 11:36 AM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh,Urbanski even went to another website and confirmed it...he banned me from his site...yes it is true. I'll send you the link if you want to see it I won't copy paste threads from other forums.

Pete, I personally can not comment on Crest Clean and or what it can do for the price...Filmguard goes a long, long ways. IMHO it is worth it after you realize you don't use as much as other cleaners. ALL first time users WILL use too much on their first few applications no matter how many times they are told to use just a little bit.

My thoughts would be to find someone near you who has both if possible and see which is best for you.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC