8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo ST-180 manual thread mod

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo ST-180 manual thread mod
Patrick McGrath
Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2012 01:53 PM      Profile for Patrick McGrath   Email Patrick McGrath   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you guys don't mind I started another topic, but here are some photos of my manual thread conversion of an Elmo ST-180.

-
I cut off the upper section that connects to the loop former and added a new roller to prevent too much contact when exiting the sprocket.

-

-
And here I cut away access to the lower sprocket for easier threading and unthreading.
 -
Finally, I permanently moved the lower loop guide into its recessed position and use the loop restorer to help form the lower loop when threading.

On this unit I also did a two blade shutter conversion and added a mounting bracket for a Film-O-Clean.
Recently I have been using a small barrel Bell and Howell 2 inch lens for a smaller picture at a longer throw to match the size from my 16mm machines at the same distance.
Overall this projector has been quite fun to get to this point and shows a very nice bright image.
Now I feel it will be very safe for my precious films as well!

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 02, 2012 06:34 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice Patrick! Thanks so much for the great pics.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 03, 2012 12:00 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick

Looks good, does the extra roller "diameter wise" is it large enough to keep the film from wearing in that "green" guide?, if so thats a good fix. I notice you have also removed the green feed guide thats right at the front. That was another area that would scratch film once worn. The Elmo ST-180 is a nice projector, what you have done, plus fitting a two bladed shutter makes it even better...well done.

Graham.

Patrick McGrath
Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2012 04:25 PM      Profile for Patrick McGrath   Email Patrick McGrath   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, I would like to find a roller(or make one)just a little bigger but for now it appears to relieve pressure against the sprocket guide, so I think it will inhibit wear.

Eventually I will do something about the tension thingy after the pinch roller too, as I know that can also wear and scratch.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC