8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » deranns negatives

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: deranns negatives
Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2012 03:12 PM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i wonder what ever happend to deranns negatives,wouldnt have been good if phil of chc had them or steve osbourne had them

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 14, 2012 03:41 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The question is do the negatives belong to Derann or copyright holders. If they belong to copyright holders then Derann must have returned it or have them destroyed with certified certificate signed & witnessed by a notary,

--------------------
Winbert

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2012 03:55 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's rumoured they were destroyed when they closed,Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted November 14, 2012 04:57 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand the same thing happened at Mountain Films, as
reported by Derek in FFTC, when builders skips were placed outside their premises and film, negatives,sound masters etc
were just junked.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 14, 2012 05:41 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's incredibly sad but they were all destroyed. There was apparently some interest in a few but Derann felt there were certain risks involved in letting any change hands, especially as they couldn't pass on any rights. But it's staggering to think what a large proportion of Super 8 history was ended as a result, and not just Derann's legacy as some of those negatives were created by DCR, Walton, Ken, Red Fox, Kempski, Lone Wolf, Steel Valley, etc.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 14, 2012 07:52 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My God, what a waste! [Mad]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2012 02:50 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann printed up a few of Ken Films negatives, he did a few copies of the 3x400' of "The Towering Inferno" & the hard to find Elvis "Viva Las Vegas" too.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 15, 2012 03:50 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Perrys negs were also destroyed, but a bit of good news is that some Collectors Clubs negs do survive which will retain a little bit of 8mm film history.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2012 03:03 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's destroyed, and then there's 'destroyed' (wink, wink), and we can only hope it's the latter for the sake of history.

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2012 03:19 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A great shame from someone who have seen many Derann prints and also many of there early releases they had on Standard 8. Seen also many of the Perry's release's from the early days onwards,and DCR now all gone. Maybe some will turn up in the future who knows.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 16, 2012 04:59 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, do you think if we have the negatives than we can afford to print them. I doubt it.

As we are private than we can only deal privately with the lab, and so far we only knew ANDEC doing this kind of job. If you see the cost to print per meter, it will cost us a fortune.

At the end, people will rely on second hand prints rather than to spend hundreds $$$ unless we are lawyer for living [Big Grin] . I am just trying to be realistic.

--------------------
Winbert

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2012 06:41 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, never mind the negatives, just try to find a "lab" these days...

To be fair, the fact that Derann were printing high quality super 8 into the 90's was something of a minor miracle.

That it all lasted this long, with the likes of Classic Home Cinema still printing new stuff via Andec is just amazing.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2012 04:17 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think even if most of Deranns negatives were saved they would most likely be museum pieces and who would have the space to store them today.

As winbert pointed out its uneconomical to start printing them now as little super 8 is selling today. Its mainly down to the price that unless you could print them for the same cost as what Derann paid, forget it. CHC still produces new super 8 shorts and features and had stacks of them at the BFCC but I dont think they were selling like hot cakes which proves that very few people want new super 8 films (I bought some BTW [Smile] ).

I also think its not right to expect Phil and Steve to start printing Deranns entire back catalogue and put all their life savings into it as new super 8 is not selling. Another big problem is that all(most) super 8 releases today are on very thick yellow acetate that takes up a lot of space on the reel compared with polyester Derann used.

It might have been an idea that the negatives were all seperated individually and given to collectors who order or given away a small strip of them. But that was a lot of hassle to Derann.

If the negatives were completly destroyed then mabye thats for the best as we wouldnt want anybody getting into trouble.

Graham S

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted November 17, 2012 05:36 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CASTLE and BLACKHAWK did likewise on their 8's, little use to return these to Roach, etc - Shorty

Oscar Iniesta
Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2012 09:04 AM      Profile for Oscar Iniesta   Email Oscar Iniesta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have bought many prints the last years, most of them on ebay, to many fans and collectors from this forum. I bought Derann and CHC too. It was hard to deal with them. I had the money ready to go, and their e-mails were just telegrams. I just asked them "what do you have for sale?", and they answer me something like "you have to say exactly what do you want because I am busy to send a list". So my money went to other sellers pocket. Even buying a feature print on CHC has been difficult, and my other messages are not asnwered. I WANT TO BUY other of their prints, but communication is very bad. Other spanish fan and collector, who has bought two CHC features, can´t get any info about a trailer he wanted to purchase.
About selling expensive super 8 in the 21th century, I believe a good way is crowd pre-order with a % of the price previous payment. That way, a good seller as the ones we know, can order a number of prints and the business works. They also can order more prints at high price for other buyers once the negative work is paid. The first ones put on risk their money to get an special price over later list/conventions/shop buyers.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC