8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Super 8 sound stripping

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super 8 sound stripping
Luke Hopkinson
Junior

- posted November 15, 2012 01:38 AM      Profile for Luke Hopkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Luke Hopkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if any one in the world does Super 8 sound striping anymore ? I have about 1000ft of silent film I want to get Striped both tracks, but if you can only do 1 that would work too, I just go a cool Goko Sound editor on Ebay in good shape and when we went on vacation (2000 + 2009) I only had a few rolls of sound and a couple silent, Now that i have the editor I would like to stripe the silent rolls and put sound on them. When i was filming i always had A digital sound recorder getting the sound stright from the camera. If worst come to worst I get them transfered to HD video and add the sound that way, it would suck but if anyone knows A person or shop where I can get this done it would be great, Thanks my Email is Wowhippiehbvideos@gmail.com Luke Hopkinson from CA, in the USA

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 16, 2012 03:14 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems amazing - even in this day and age - how this has almost disappeared but the only people that I'm confident currently offer it are Andec in Germany. Seems to be half a Euro per metre, just for the main stripe, though.
http://www.andecfilm.de/assets/docs/pdfs/pr_2012_april_courier-preise_seite_10.pdf

Surely there must be someone else?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2012 07:19 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wanting some super 8 leader film striping. Done a bit of looking AND GOOD NEWS You can still get it done in the UK, by

E.V.T MAGNETICS
HAVENHURST,
PASHLEY ROAD,
TICEHURST
WADHURST,
EAST SUSSEX
TN5 7HE
Phone: +44 (0) 1580 200528
Fax: +44 (0) 131 220 6149

The charges are:
per ft
super 8 main only 6p main & balance 8.5p
standard 8 main only 6p

Spoke to them today, it would take them about 10 days to complete the order.

I like good news about film.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted November 16, 2012 08:28 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Mr Ollerearnshaw sir,a knighthood surely should be yours, to actually find a firm that does this in the UK,in this
day and age is nothing short of miraculous.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 16, 2012 08:35 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's great news!

I recall hearing Nick retired, either it's a rumor or he changed his mind.

I've had film striped by EVT and had absolutely no problems with it. Considering the consequences when it isn't done well he's who I would go to if I needed it again.

Time was when you got your camera film processed by Kodak you could pay a little extra and they'd stripe it too. Those were the days!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2012 11:58 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Think it was Nick who I spoke to. He did mention retiring, but like a lot of the older businesses in the film collecting trade, they remain loyal to their customers, and their customers return the same. In this day that is something to be thankful for.

--------------------

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2012 03:08 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Used to use a Rexette striper for my 8mm films, but really EVT are first rate quality and a lot more better quality than I could ever get doing it myself. Worth going for the main and balance stripe even if only using the main. Much better spooling and a edge on recording quality. So glad this company is still operating and well worth our support.

Luke Hopkinson
Junior

- posted November 16, 2012 03:36 PM      Profile for Luke Hopkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Luke Hopkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does E.V.T MAGNETICS Have A web site As I am in the USA, Thanks

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 16, 2012 03:47 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Luke,

EVT doesn't have a website, but he does have an e-mail address: maltfilm@amserve.com (I believe this is current.)

He does really prefer being paid in British Pounds. I got around this by having an English friend willing to pay EVT for me. (That's the easy way...) The next time he won something on US Ebay, I paid for it and paid him back that way.

The neat part is Nick shipped the films to my friend, who checked the striping and then watched them with his wife. So even though I've never been to the UK, my films have played there!

Turnaround time was maybe two or three weeks round trip: not bad at all.

--------------------

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2012 04:22 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The email address could be wrong 'maltfilm@amserve.com' Try .co.uk instead of the .com. We in the UK had at one time a company called Amstrad, They came out with a emailing phone. The name amserve.co.uk is where you can see the emailing phone they marketed.

--------------------

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2012 07:42 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used EVT a few times, and I've always been pleased with the service.

The last job I sent them was in 2009. It was during the winter, and Nick advised me that they were having probelms gluing on the magnetic stripe, due to the weather. So, he advised me that he could put on a paste stripe instead.

The sound quality was excellent, and a good firm stripe (main and balance). I will ask for the paste stripe from now on when I use EVT.

James.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 17, 2012 03:23 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did EVT ever do striping for Derann or CHC?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 17, 2012 03:48 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If memory serves, they (he?) striped for Walton.

--------------------

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2012 06:34 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve Osborne of the Reel Image in Ohio tells me he will be doing striping starting in the new year. He hasn't worked out fees just yet.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2012 05:55 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes- That is GREAT news Gary!!

I just heard that too, and anyone who has dealt with Steve Osborne knows he's a great person to do business. I will certainly be using his sound-stripe services as soon as I shoot some more film!

James.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 23, 2012 08:16 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David. Hard to find I know but I picked up a small number of genuine Kodak stereo pre stripped white leader at sunny Blackpool. These as you will know I'm sure come in the yellow Kodak sound box as well. Its this stripe I do all my sound test recordings on and is the bench mark.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 23, 2012 09:03 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure that EVT didn't do any striping for Derann, but I can't be certain about CHC. I've also heard that they striped Walton prints, which must have been a very big task.

I'm surprised that I never see an advertisement for them but I suppose that if Nick is trying to retire, he's not going out of his way to attract new customers!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 23, 2012 10:41 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got the first impression that EVT was a home business, but it is not the fact, is it?

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC