8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » How to clean the film path on Eumig?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to clean the film path on Eumig?
Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 20, 2012 12:10 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems so difficult to check if there's movie pieces inside the path of the film. Especially where the film seem to be stuck (like one said, maybe that's the sound head) ... See picture and let me know if there's a way to check if film pieces are stuck without taking it all apart. I've seen three of four Normal 8 movies now and Laurel and Hardy Love and Hisses on Super 8. Sounds a bit noisy when running movie (I am not talking about the charming noise you'd expect), but kinda like a tape recorder starting to eat tape ... Still not sure I'd want to put more valuable movies through, but getting a little better

Picture is here : http://pokeysoft.no/movies/8mm/stuck%20here.jpg

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 20, 2012 01:10 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A while back, Paul Adsett provided us a procedure for opening up the Eumig 800 Series soundheads and cleaning them out. I've copied it down below.

I can testify it works very well and the second or third time you do it, it actually becomes pretty easy! The first time you just take it a step at a time: half a beer before and two (or more) afterwards!

Cleaning the Sound Head:

METHOD 1: (for a quick clean). The sound head is located right underneath the Bulb. It has a white cable coming out of it, which plugs into a receptacle on the chassis. For a real quick clean, take a can of air duster and blast air down into the Teflon film chute at the front of the sound head assembly. This will blow out any loose oxide particles in the sound head. This process is recommended after every couple of reels, to keep oxide from building up inside the head assembly.

METHOD 2: ( FOR A THOROUGH CLEAN, THIS PROCEDURE TAKES ABOUT 30 MINUTES, AND REQUIRES DISSASSEMBLY OF THE SOUND HEAD).
1. Set the control knob to the Forward position then pull off the black control knob at the side of the projector. Remove the lamp housing cover.
2. Pull off the volume control knob and the mixing control knob.
3. Undo the screw located between the volume control knob and the mixing knob, and pull the side panel forward and out to expose the inside of the projector.
4. Unplug the sound head, then undo the single screw which bolts the sound head to the chassis wall.
5. Remove the sound head.
6. Look at the sound head. There are a total of 6 screws in view. Do NOT touch the four innermost screws, they are used for the critical elevation and azimuth alignment of the sound head to the magnetic tracks on the film. Undo the 2 outer screws to remove only the MU-METAL magnetic shield, and the pressure pad assembly. You now have total access to the heads and pressure pads for a thorough cleaning with alcohol. Be very gentle in wiping the head areas. You may wish to de-magnetize the heads while you are at it, using a Radio Shack tape- head demagnetizing probe. Also polish the film channel and pressure pads with Pledge or Favor furniture polish.
7. After cleaning, reassemble the mu-metal shield and pressure pad assembly to the head, and tighten down the 2 outermost screws.
8. Align locating hole on the sound head with the pin in the chassis, and bolt back into place with the single screw. Plug the sound head back into the wall connector.
9. Reassemble the side panel, audio knobs, and Main control knob. Return the control knob to the OFF position

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2012 01:25 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also like to clean my film track with silicone spray. It makes it nice and slippery and the film feeds through nicely. Also it's nice to have a air can on hand to blow the dust out of those hard to reach places.

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 20, 2012 01:28 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By air can, do you mean compressed air only? If so, I can't get that here in Norway it seems. I asked for it, but got air with some lubricant (you felt it wasn't just air and it got wet a bit on the place you spray)

I want to buy a compressor :-) Hopefully it won't blow a hole in the whole casing :-)

Update :
Yohoo ... After opening the side cover, I saw another rubber wheel, cleaned it and now I've run the movie through about 8 times with no problem. I will try more ... Thanks for the tips guys, very helpful

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC