8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Gold Rush Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gold Rush Question
Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2012 08:56 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if Blackhawk, or anyone else, released Chaplin's The Goldrush with the soundtrack the way he re-released it in the 40's. Just saw Chaplin on Broadway and am going through a bit of a Chaplin craze right now. What a genius he was!

|  IP: Logged

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2012 10:02 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Brian, he used his genius to accomplish so much work of historical importance -- more than one might imagine, much of it is hidden in symbolism.

The Gold Rush was released as a sound feature through Blackhawk. The print I'll run on 12/30 for my film club is mostly silent, the previous owner spliced in reel 2 of 4 with sound, so it does exists. You can see the sync cues on some of the silent Super 8 prints that are missing a sound stripe -- not on the 8mm prints.

You really want to have the sound cues for the last fourth of the film, which has a very memorable song near the end that should be synced. I've run it many times with pre-recorded music, you can find it on youtube and it usually will sync. The bonus is that it's a very repeatable film so you can get better at the sync as you go.

Tell us more about the play itself, I'm curious to know...thanks.

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2012 11:36 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RBC Films released the 1942 Chaplin version in Super 8 Sound through Blackhawk and Select Film Library. He replaced all the title cards with his own spoken narration and personally selected (and apparently) scored musical soundtrack. It was one of those titles that the purchaser "leased" intil 1991 and then agreed to return the print(s) back to RBC. Well, RBC folded in the 80's so the prints are now permanently in collectors' hands and I do see them auctioned from time to time. I haven't seen GR offered yet. Usually I see "Modern Times" and some others.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2012 04:42 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing, just looking through my old catalogues and the Thunderbird lists have the Chaplin films listed:

The Gold Rush 1942 re-issue $160
Pay Day $50
The Circus $175
Modern Times $250
A King In New York $190
A Day's Pleasure $50

They were on sale price till 31st January 1977

Of course if RBC folded the owners of the leased prints must have destroyed their prints after 1st August 1991, and sent documentation to the address listed [Wink]

Best Wishes
David.

Old catalogue scans required for The Reel Image website PM me

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2012 07:00 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are many differences in the 1942 version besides the addition of narration and removal of inter-titles. The 1942 version derives from a different camera negative, therefore having slightly different angles. Some takes are different, and Chaplin edited it differently. All the details can be found in "The Chaplin Encyclopedia" by Glen Mitchell.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2012 08:03 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the sound Gold Rush does exist on super 8! Great I will keep an eye out for it. I would recommend anyone in New York to go see Chaplin on Broadway before it closes in a couple weeks. Too bad it's not going to last - I guess it just doesn't appeal to the masses for some reason. It feels like you are watching a black and white film because the actors and all the sets are all monochrome. It covers Chaplin's whole life and the lead actor is amazing - there's even the whole cast doing the famous dinner roll dance. I am going to see it again before it closes.

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2012 04:41 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bummer. I had wanted to see it. Won't be able to get there to see it in the next few weeks though.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC