8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bye bye Ektachrome 100D (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Bye bye Ektachrome 100D
Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 20, 2012 03:40 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
B&H photo says they are " Temporarily out of stock" and someone on Ebay is selling it for $75 per box!!! EKTACHROME 100D

It might be worth a call to John Schwind to see if he has any left. When I talked to him last week he said he was getting a lot of orders. Don't go by what it says on his web site, he still as 64T listed.

|  IP: Logged

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 21, 2012 10:10 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got my latest 100D efforts back from the lab and it’s a great shame this stock is going under as it looks so good.
Always exciting when a film comes back.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2012 12:43 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bryan, it will be interesting to see if any of those carts actually get sold at that price. That's just gouging.

I wonder what the 64T carts in my freezer are worth now?

Patrick Tung
Junior

- posted December 22, 2012 11:45 AM      Profile for Patrick Tung   Email Patrick Tung   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps I came into the super 8 scene too late (only in May this year). I got myself a Eumig projector, a Nikon super 8 and a lomo tank to start my own quest in film making. and devloping. I am interested in only analog projection. So far I only shot 4 cartridges of 100D film and it is discontinued! I guess my items are now worth half as much. [Frown]

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2012 11:53 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am certain that Wittners will develop a new Super 8 film similar to 100D. Look at their website and you'll see. I don't think it's the end of our cine cameras yet!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 16, 2013 08:51 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Life being what it is I forgot to order some 100D after the discontinuation was announced and when I got around to it all Kodak could say was "Sorry! Try B&H."

So I went on the B&H website and it said "Out of Stock: Backorder" It was a sad moment: I'd just started shooting film again and I hoped I had a little more time to do some final film projects. I registered with their backorder notification system, but I wasn’t hopeful.

However, At 11:00AM Monday I got an e-mail saying they had stock. At 11:17 I was on the site and ordered 7 cartridges. At 11:45 I went back in and they were stocked out again!

That’s the way it is these days…

For a while I thought it was a goof and I’d get another e-mail saying as much, but the 7 100Ds that were on the porch when I got home yesterday say otherwise.

Now the name of the game is using them, and using them well.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 16, 2013 10:24 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sad too to see disappear, but big LOL to those rush buying for the sake to make a profit.

Now we can see on Ebay people are selling an E100D for $49. Good luck for them but I have a limitation my self that everything beyond $20 is out of my budget and I will shot my home movies with video. I will not die just because I am using video, right? [Razz]

But I just sent 6 carts to be processed by Dwayne and their site does not mention about back order for E100D. So I order 10 carts if I get luck. The price is just the same like before $17 each (and the processing cost is the lowest I knew $12/each).

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Jake Mayes
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2013 10:31 AM      Profile for Jake Mayes   Email Jake Mayes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have about 9 in my fridge, 1 in my bag about to be shot, and 5 64T and a couple of ektachrome sound cartridges. In the UK £20 per cart has become the norm, and i plan to slowly buy them, like a squirrel with nuts, so i am not 'stocking up' just maintaining my current levels so if it comes when i need to use a couple of carts at once its not going to be too big of a problem. V50D is about the same price if i get it direct from wittner.

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2013 10:48 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I buy the V50D from Wittner in super 8 cartridges and get it processed at Blue Cine Tech.
V50D is now available in Single 8 cartridges again! Many other super 8 reversal stocks to choose from on Wittners website. Anyone tried that new Agfa stock?

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 16, 2013 10:50 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just ordered somemore 100D but would also like to have a go at the Agfa to see whats what.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 16, 2013 10:56 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am wary about becoming too stocked up, sooner or later processing will end.

This has happened to me before: when Kodachrome mailers weren't going to be honored after the end date, and when all Kodachrome processing was ended. Both times a couple of weeks of frenzied filmmaking resulted.

The bonus was in 2010 when the last run at Dwayne's was at hand I had my last K-40s all packed to travel and a huge snow storm knocked the shippers out of business two days before the deadline.

-not a happy feeling!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Jake Mayes
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2013 10:58 AM      Profile for Jake Mayes   Email Jake Mayes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i wanted to give the agfa and adox stock a try, but am short on cash at the moment. I process my own colour reversal, but B/W i get kevin at gaugefilm to do it as i do not shoot enough before the chemicals will spoil, and i am a tight one when it comes to getting the most from chemicals without image degradation. I use them to capacity.

E6 is much easier to do at home than kodachrome, and no light reversal steps were needed, kodachrome was too difficult without machinery, as the seperate colour light exposure steps had to be done through the emulsion side and and contact with the base side would ruin the image, at least i think. E6 i think will be doable at home for a while yet, and the formulas are doable at home and are widely published. Heck you can still process VNF at home if you add some benzyl alcohol to the mix.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC