8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Ken Films Numbering?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ken Films Numbering?
Jan Adolfsson
Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2012 08:09 AM      Profile for Jan Adolfsson   Email Jan Adolfsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,
I'm compiling a list of Ken Films releases and hoping you can help me with their numbering system.
I know that:
* Three digit numbers are American Internation Pictures.
* P before a number stands for Paramount.
* F and PL- before a number is 20th Century Fox.
* UA- and UA before a number must be United Artists.

But what about:
One-, two- and four- digit numbers.
The kung fu movies whose number begin with the letter 'K'.
Science fiction movies whose number begin with SF-.
Captain Marvel movies whose number begin with CM-.
Numbers that begin with HA-, AW- and A-.

Can the production companies be deduced through the listed number combinations?

Your best
jan.

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 27, 2012 11:07 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan,

Ken Films absorbed a number of 8mm distributors (Republic, United Artists, AAP) and kept their numbering system for each company's releases, so the numbers are all over the place. The Republic inventory includes the "SF", "HA", "A", & "CM" prefixes. Some of the UA releases do not start with "UA". They instead have a 4 digit number begining with either 22 or 55. The 22 series are 200' in length and the 55 series are 50 footers.
"PL" was only for the 5 Planet of the Apes films. There are three digit numbers that are not part of the AIP library.
Ken also distributed the MGM releases, which fittingly started with an "M".

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted December 27, 2012 12:15 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And that comes direct from Doug "The New Shorty" Meltzer

Jan Adolfsson
Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2012 11:30 AM      Profile for Jan Adolfsson   Email Jan Adolfsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks,

That was great info but much annoying.

There are movies like The Adventures Of Robin Hood with number 2209. The box says United Artists but if I look it up on the web it was distributed (when released) by Warner Bros.

And then we have Rio Grande with number UA-213 (by it's number one would guess the distribution company to be United Artists) but then again when I look it up on the web I found it's distribution company (when released) to be Warner Bros.

And then we have those asian- and b-movies... I think I'll just exclude company information all together.

Thanks again!

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2012 12:29 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of old Warner titles were owned by UA. Early Paramount by Universal. RKO were sold to other companies too. Now most are owned by just a few companies like Sony/Columbia, Turner I think bought MGM which bought UA which owned early Warners.

If you look at the Derann deal with UA they had both new UA and old Warner titles.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC