8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Grain removal

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Grain removal
Tom Fales
Junior

- posted January 14, 2013 08:39 AM      Profile for Tom Fales   Email Tom Fales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for input on the best way to remove noise or grain from old 8mm films. I've used Neat Video and also played around with VirtualDub, but looking for input on the best workflow once films are captured to PC.

--------------------
Tom
MovieStuff Retro-8 Pro
MovieStuff Retro-16
Intel i7 5820k 64GB
Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
Studio 22 Ultimate

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 14, 2013 08:56 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a lot of software to sharpen or to soften (remove the grain) picture. Even on youtube we can do using their feature. But the side effect is the picture loosing its sharpness.

--------------------
Winbert

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2013 12:03 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once tried a grain removal effect in Adobe After Effects and it did a great job without hurting sharpness. This was years ago so I don't know what's in the program now. But I do know Adobe gives fully-functional 30-day trial downloads, so it might be worth looking into.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 14, 2013 07:46 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had the best results with Freddy Van de Putte's Avisynth film restoring scripts. Here is an example of Freddy's 8mm film restoration https://vimeo.com/13173031 and here is mine of 16mm film http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqQfz4ccvy8&list=HL1358213347&feature=mh_lolz

[ January 15, 2013, 02:01 AM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 14, 2013 08:17 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, Fred's work is absolutely wonderful. But sorry for my ignorance, what does "script" mean? and what is the name of software being used?

thanks

--------------------
Winbert

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 14, 2013 10:09 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A script is written in a particular scripting language. Avisynth is not a program, but a scripting language for manipulating video. The VirtualDub program can read and translate the scripts. If you search on YouTube you can find tutorials for creating scripts with Avisynth and VirtualDub. Freddy has written a couple variations of his restoration scripts, which are completely customizable.

--------------------
Janice

Tom Fales
Junior

- posted January 16, 2013 09:59 AM      Profile for Tom Fales   Email Tom Fales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the input. I've used VirtualDub but found Neat Video does a better job. I'm a bit intimidated by AVIsynth, but maybe I'll go through the youtube samples.
Also, I've never used the Adobe suite products, including After Effects. I think I'll try the trial and see if they have plugins that will improve on it.

--------------------
Tom
MovieStuff Retro-8 Pro
MovieStuff Retro-16
Intel i7 5820k 64GB
Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
Studio 22 Ultimate

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 16, 2013 10:27 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, I am sorry again for my ignorance, but how does the script to be included (installed?) in the software?

And why we need that script, does not the software company say about all features available?

I am still confused.

--------------------
Winbert

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 16, 2013 11:46 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most familiar comparison I can think of is HTML and your browser. HTML stands for Hypertext Markup Language. Your browser is a program that translates the HTML text coding to display as formated text and graphics. This is how a scripting language works also.

--------------------
Janice

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 16, 2013 11:53 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Janice,

I understand HTML so we only need to copy and paste Fred's script into the software, is that right?

Where in the software we can paste that script?

--------------------
Winbert

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 16, 2013 12:07 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, like I mentioned before, you can search YouTube to find some examples and tuts on Avisynth. Here's a good one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXByaCFgIHc. Like an HTML file an Avisynth script is merely a file that you bring up in Virtualdub. The script contains all the information to locate the video file and apply the filters.

That's about all I can do to describe it here. You will have to do your own due diligence at this point [Smile] Good Luck!

--------------------
Janice

John Yapp
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2013 01:28 PM      Profile for John Yapp   Email John Yapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I would wholeheartedly agree with Janice on this one. Learning to make "Videofred"'s avisynth script work in virtualdub involves a bit of a steep learning curve, if like me, you have only basic computer skills, but the results are truly amazing and the script can be tweaked to get the results you personally like. This topic raises an interesting point for me after reading recent "Analogue versus Digital" posts. Using this method, Film can be cleaned, degrained, stabilised and otherwise manipulated, to the point where decades old film looks like digital media. I know there are those on this forum who show their dislike for anything digital,, yet spend lots of time transferring their films to it. I appreciate that much of this work is often for archival purposes, but perhaps it highlights the fact that there is a place for both in our lives.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 17, 2013 12:59 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in complete agreement with you John. I've done a lot of film transfers now...and truthfully the digitized versions just don't have the "character" as the projected film. However, once it's digitized I want it to look as good as I can get it. I just don't seem to be able to tolerate shaky camera movements... graininess... washed out colors...and fuzzy images on a big screen TV. So I do everything I can to restore the color...sharpness...and stability with the digital tools available. I believe the extent of restoration is purely a personal preference...with as much or as little modification one likes.

--------------------
Janice

John Vice
Junior

- posted December 02, 2016 12:29 AM      Profile for John Vice   Email John Vice   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I was looking for Freddy's script. All the links on the internet that I can find seem to lead to a dead page at the doom9.org forums. Does anyone know where i can find it?

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2016 08:12 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the morning I always check in on the forum to see what Ive missed. I had yet to grab my reading glasses and thought the title said "Brain Removal" [Eek!]

Glad that was not the case [Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 02, 2016 11:41 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! You're not kidding Janice!

I'll need to use something along those lines when i get around to restoring my scope home movies I shot some 30 years ago. They were sharp even back then, but this program makes them look 16MM sharp!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 03, 2016 08:54 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John...I emailed Freddy ...

quote:
Hello Janice,

I have nothing removed, it's a problem with the Doom9 Forum. For some reason, there is no acces to older threads. (not only mine, others too)

This is the direct link to my script:
http://www.super-8.be/avisynth/Film_Restoring_vs_06_2012.zip

kind regards,
Freddy.

--------------------
Janice

John Vice
Junior

- posted December 04, 2016 10:39 AM      Profile for John Vice   Email John Vice   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. Very kind of you.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC