8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Meet the Newbie

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Meet the Newbie
Adam McCreath
Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2013 11:12 AM      Profile for Adam McCreath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings everyone; just registered today and looking forward to learning a lot from everyones experience. I am a film-addict and collector (or OCD as my wife might say); I have built a fairly large collection of films and I love "obsolete" technologies (hope that wasn't the eqiuivalent of swearing on the forum lol). My colelction includes contemporary formats of course (dvd/blu-ray), but I also collect ced videodiscs and betamax.

I am new to the wonderful world of 8mm/Super-8/16mm formats. I have just begun acquiring and collecting film and projectors. All seem to be very rare in my local market and I am finding a lot of non-functional pieces. So far my collection includes:

1. Sankyo Dualux 2000H - not working at the moment, wating on drive belt

2. B&H 1592 - working but needs some tweeking; belt slips, no sound, timing may be off

3. B&H 3575 - fully functional and working great!!!!!

I should be picking up a Berkley dual 8 today after work so I'm hoping for the best on that one lol. I know nothing of this technology and I am struggling to get things running. So that's who I am and what I'm going to be asking about in the comming weeks lol.

Thanks & Cheers!

|  IP: Logged

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 22, 2013 11:18 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Adam - Ask away - We have a wide selection of professionals here, who will fulfill your knowledge quests - Mine happens to be the Selected Short Subject, so please call on 'Shorty' anytime - Cheers

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted January 22, 2013 11:29 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad it's almost true about obsolete. Weird in a way, as a 70mm is by far the best picture we can get ... Isn't that about 10 times or maybe it's 5 as Blu-Ray

I am very happy to get my new hobby started and hopefully I will get movies for years yet.

Welcome, this group is just awesome (meaning thank you to all members)

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2013 11:34 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Adam! Ever heard of Altoids? We're not mints, but we do have curiously strong opinions! And this is a friendly bunch, as you see, with amazing knowledge of the hobby.

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2013 11:52 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forum! My speciality is useless information no normal human being would know.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted January 22, 2013 12:53 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ADAM

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!!!!!!

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2013 02:21 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the hobby of film collecting Adam. Great to have you here.

WARNING: This hobby can be VERY addictive, especially for someone like you that likes the older technologies.

[Wink]

James.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 22, 2013 02:35 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Adam, the doctor will see you shortly.

Adam McCreath
Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2013 06:38 AM      Profile for Adam McCreath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW thanks for the warm reception! It's great to be part of a world-wide community of like mided people obsessed with the same hobby lol. I hope the learn a lot.

Picked up another projector last night; a Berkley Keystone 1550. Apparently it is fully functional and only needs a belt which I ordered last night. Also put in a few eBay bids on Super-8 films including one I found locally so I hope to get at least 1 of my 2 dual 8 projectors running for the weekend.

Adam McCreath
Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2013 05:36 PM      Profile for Adam McCreath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got to love it! My father in-law was over for dinner the other night and I told him about my new obsession....sure enough; he has a Super-8 projector, film, camera, lights, splicer, reels and cans, and a few other items LOL!!! he`s giving it all to me of course and apparently has a few home movies of my wife in infancy! He`s dropping it all off to me tomorrow (without the beloved-betterhalf`s knowledge!). I expect this will be the 1st 8mm-Super-8 projector I will receive that is actually functional lol. The 3 projectors I have in house are all waiting on parts. Also picking up my first Super-8 feature this weekend (from an ebay sale)!!!!!!!!

Matt McBride
Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2013 11:31 AM      Profile for Matt McBride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Adam. As the others have said, this is a very addicting hobby. Also you'll wonder where all your money goes and then you look at your films and say "oh yeah" lol. As others have said, like my wife, she thinks I am a little OCD about this hobby, oh well. Never be afraid to ask a question, there are many knowledgeable people on here.

Alex Fox
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2013 01:33 PM      Profile for Alex Fox   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Fox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Adam.Wecome to the forum.I live in Vineland Ont., if there are any question you need an answer to, as Joe says ask away Alex.

Keith Heydon
Junior

- posted January 25, 2013 02:26 PM      Profile for Keith Heydon   Email Keith Heydon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Adam,

From one Canuck to another ...I see you're waiting on a drive belt for your Sankyo 2000H.

At one point, I was looking to replace the rubber belt for my Sankyo Dualux 1000. Jon Addams ...kindly forwarded the following info to me:

"The dimensions for an O-Ring you can use in the Sankyo 1000 projector are as follows:
2 and 5/8 inches measured on the outside from edge-to edge and the thickness is 1/8 of an inch."

Well...I was able to pick up the following from Canadian Tire:

....for the princely sum of $1.49 plus tax.
The particulars are:
ROL Gaskets
W08610-001
aka "water outlet gasket"

Worked for me ...

Not a hundred percent sure this is compatible with your 2000H, but you might want to file the info for future reference.

Also, for future reference, Janice Glesser (who has been very helpful to me ...and, a treat to deal with), has a video on Youtube on removing / replacing the rubber belt.

Cheers eh?

Keith

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC